Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2019, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Supporting accurate in-camera focus validation

Dear Pentax,

please allow users the option to zoom in on photos stored on the camera's card(s) on the basis of a high-quality 1:1 rendering of RAW data.
Currently, detailed photo examination on the camera appears to be based on magnifying the relatively low quality JPEG images that are embedded in RAW files.

Checking focus using external means (PC or tablet) involves more gear which may not be practical depending on the location and always implies transfer times (in particular for non-tethered solutions as the WiFi speed is just to slow to support an efficient workflow).

Checking critical focus can be important when it isn't entirely a forgone conclusion as to whether something in the frame will be in focus, e.g., when using a "focus recompose" technique or placing an important aspect of the image near the border of the frame with a lens that may struggle to achieve good sharpness towards edges. We know that even otherwise great lenses can suffer from such a weakness.

01-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I don't know about you but I always set my camera to zoom in 8.3x (100%) in review and I can clearly see what's in focus and not. One eye? Just the nose? Lens corners not sharp? Just missed focus entirely/slightly?
And would an in camera RAW rendering actually be higher quality since it has yet to be processed? Plus the time it would take due to file size to even pull the image up especially if you've been wildlife shooting and just finished a burst session.
It's an interesting proposal never the less if they could make it just as fast and minimal foot print of the Jpeg.
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Currently, detailed photo examination on the camera appears to be based on magnifying the relatively low quality JPEG images that are embedded in RAW files.
I may be wrong, but it has been my understanding that the review image viewed at 100% is a pixel-to-pixel mapping from the full-resolution preview image bundled in the RAW* to that of the rear LCD display. In other words...I do believe the camera already satisfies your requirement.

Steve

* Both PEF and DNG RAW files have a high-quality, full-resolution JPEG embedded in the file. The rendering is the same as the current JPEG settings.

Last edited by stevebrot; 2 Days Ago at 11:19 PM.
2 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I may be wrong, but it has been my understanding that the review image viewed at 100% is a pixel-to-pixel mapping from the full-resolution preview image bundled in the RAW* to that of the rear LCD display.
The JPEG file embedded in a RAW file is highly compressed.

I haven't done any extraction myself but here are someone else's observations:
PEF file: 15.2MB.
Extracted JPEG file: 1.12MB.
PEF file exported to JPEG format at decent quality: 11.9MB.
In my view there is no comparison between reviewing an image at the back of the camera (by zooming into a highly compressed, low-quality version that is only meant to provide a preview and designed to be not too wasteful regarding space) vs reviewing a 100% view of either a rendering of the RAW file or a camera-produced JPEG file.