Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-25-2019, 05:47 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
feature suggestion- reset to user default

I know that every camera will have a factory reset, but I'm suggesting something else. Have a menu feature to record the current state as a user default and the ability to configure a button as a reset to user default. I confess it's laziness on my part. There's a common default set which I tend to use, but I'll often have to change settings toward the end of the day, eg higher ISO, different EV offset. But when I an finished, I forget to reset the things I changes, and the camera isn't how I'd normally have it set for daylight shooting. It would be nice to be able to easily reset it to a user default. It seems like something which would be really simple to implement, too.

PS On reflection, people might say "that's what the user modes do" which is true to a point, but I had in mind more of a universal reset because my camera mostly stays in aperture priority mode.

Last edited by RobG; 06-25-2019 at 06:27 AM. Reason: correction
06-26-2019, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I know that every camera will have a factory reset, but I'm suggesting something else. Have a menu feature to record the current state as a user default and the ability to configure a button as a reset to user default. I confess it's laziness on my part. There's a common default set which I tend to use, but I'll often have to change settings toward the end of the day, eg higher ISO, different EV offset. But when I an finished, I forget to reset the things I changes, and the camera isn't how I'd normally have it set for daylight shooting. It would be nice to be able to easily reset it to a user default. It seems like something which would be really simple to implement, too.

PS On reflection, people might say "that's what the user modes do" which is true to a point, but I had in mind more of a universal reset because my camera mostly stays in aperture priority mode.
Your best bet is to use the Memory settings menu which allows you to select exactly what the camera will remember when it is turned off and then on again. ISO and EV compensation are two that are there
06-26-2019, 08:52 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Your best bet is to use the Memory settings menu which allows you to select exactly what the camera will remember when it is turned off and then on again. ISO and EV compensation are two that are there
Except of course if I want to retain those settings during the day and still turn off the camera in between taking photos. I do appreciate the suggestion! I tend to adjust more than just the ISO and the EV compensation though - for example the AF settings. The next day I pick up the camera and have to remember to reset lots of things. It would be simpler to just hit a button (or select a menu option) to reset the camera to a user defined default, which is very similar to what the user modes do.
06-29-2019, 02:19 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Am I actually the only one who finds it a time-wasting exercise resetting the camera to a known preferred state?

07-01-2019, 02:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Am I actually the only one who finds it a time-wasting exercise resetting the camera to a known preferred state?
Based on the response Rob....yes !!

Seriously though , what you suggest is a good idea. A menu item that will allow you to save a configured camera to a "owners default" setting which can be called up at will.

You can of course use a USER mode to do this, which is kind of the same thing.
07-01-2019, 04:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Do members think there are enough user modes - I have often thought it would be helpful to be able to save and restore different setups to and from the memory card.

Philip
07-01-2019, 07:04 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Based on the response Rob....yes !!

Seriously though , what you suggest is a good idea. A menu item that will allow you to save a configured camera to a "owners default" setting which can be called up at will.
You can of course use a USER mode to do this, which is kind of the same thing.
I'll have to experiment more with user modes to see if they really do what I was suggesting, but they do to a degree.

---------- Post added 02-07-19 at 12:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Do members think there are enough user modes - I have often thought it would be helpful to be able to save and restore different setups to and from the memory card.
I doubt that they use a lot of memory, and losing them when you change cards would be problematic. I've configured three user modes: landscape, birds and night, which covers a lot of the photos I typically take, but I agree that more would be nice. I'd at least like to have an "aircraft" setting! You could have a button combined with a wheel like the AF selection, to scroll through user settings.