Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2019, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
As long as I remember to bring the gaffer tape.....
I solved that problem by cutting several strips of gaffers tape and sticking them to my tripod. That way they're handy when I need a viewfinder cover.

12-23-2019, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I just use a piece of thin cardboard and put in under the rubber. Very useful!
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Just a simple black cloth to drape over the pentaprism and finder is sufficient
And both are low cost and easy to replace. The hat works well also, and keeps your head warm, shades it from the sun and can also be used as a lens shade!
12-24-2019, 04:37 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
But every one I've had is broken. The pressure tabs that hold it in place break too easily. It's best to just use something else and save the one's that come with a new camera.
I've never found this to be a problem. Perhaps I don't used the cover as often as you do but I've been using the same cover for 10 years plus.
12-25-2019, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
I solved that problem by cutting several strips of gaffers tape and sticking them to my tripod. That way they're handy when I need a viewfinder cover.
Clever - I'll try that next time.

12-25-2019, 05:27 PM   #50

Andoer eye piece

I use the Andoer eye piece on my kp. It comes with cap which can be put over the mount. They arn't expensive. I got mine from amazon.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 650  Photo 
12-27-2019, 04:15 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I've never found this to be a problem. Perhaps I don't used the cover as often as you do but I've been using the same cover for 10 years plus.
Maybe it's because it has a looser fit. Could you elaborate? What camera, or multiple, what model of a cover? Do you also use Pentax straps with pockets (which I love on my small format Pentaxes)?

Just received three non working bodies to tinker with. Two came with viewfinder covers, one inside one of the aforementioned straps. They were both broken.
They seem to be made of a hard plastic, perhaps PP or PC. Well, even PS could be the case with all its brittleness. Perhaps changing it to ABS could stand a chance or PU, which being flexible means it just elasticly deforms.

12-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #52

Maybe it's because it has a looser fit. Could you elaborate? What camera, or multiple, what model of a cover? Do you also use Pentax straps with pockets (which I love on my small format Pentaxes)?
It's the model "M" cover. I bought it used. Mainly it is used with my K10D, rarely on my Program Plus, almost never on my K1000. I store it in one of the pockets in my camera bag when not in use.

01-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #53

But every one I've had is broken. The pressure tabs that hold it in place break too easily. It's best to just use something else and save the one's that come with a new camera.
Booo!
01-10-2020, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

Some cameras used to come with a viewfinder blind that was built in. Perhaps it's an idea whose time has come again.
01-10-2020, 08:21 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I enjoy long exposure photography. And as I stated in another thread, I know that Pentax cameras are delivered with a sliding part to block light from entering the viewfinder during long exposures (in order to avoid light leaks).

The sliding tracks on the camera's viewfinder is also used to accommodate the Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup. So the sliding tracks shouldn't be removed.

The sliding part in use:
1: Slide off the eyecup.
2: Slide on the sliding part.
3: Take the picture.
4: Slide off the sliding part.
5: Slide on the eyecup.

I never use the sliding part. Instead I use black gorilla tape to cover the viewfinder during long exposures. Put the gaffer tape over the viewfinder, take the picture, remove gaffer tape.

I would propose a button to electronically block lights from entering the viewfinder during long exposure. One push of the button - its on. Another push of the button and its off.
There is precedent for this idea. K2DMD has built-in mechanical viewfinder blinds.

IMO Gaffer Tape is the best solution currently. I have trouble getting the viewfinder eyepiece back on the frame. I never have gotten it back on my K10D.
03-22-2020, 09:24 PM   #56
Pentaxian

I can't believe how many people have made excuses in this thread for not having a lever-activated blind. I had this on my previous (Canon) cameras and used it constantly, on more than half of my photos. Caps or tape or whatever are poor substitues.
03-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I can't believe how many people have made excuses in this thread for not having a lever-activated blind. I had this on my previous (Canon) cameras and used it constantly, on more than half of my photos. Caps or tape or whatever are poor substitues.
Fair enough. Even my Zenit Automat has a blind.

However, to add perspective, the number of auto-exposure camera models across brands and even high end without such a feature is not trivial. I think it would be a great feature for Pentax to add on its flagship models, but probably won't move to a high-end Nikon or Canon just to get it.

Steve
03-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Fair enough. Even my Zenit Automat has a blind.

However, to add perspective, the number of auto-exposure camera models across brands and even high end without such a feature is not trivial. I think it would be a great feature for Pentax to add on its flagship models, but probably won't move to a high-end Nikon or Canon just to get it.

Steve
My Canon A-1 (so a mid-range Canon from the '70s/'80s) had this feature, and I don't know how common it is, I just know it is infinitely better (more conveineint, faster) than tape or a cap.
03-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

I enjoy long exposure photography. And as I stated in another thread, I know that Pentax cameras are delivered with a sliding part to block light from entering the viewfinder during long exposures (in order to avoid light leaks).

The sliding tracks on the camera's viewfinder is also used to accommodate the Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup. So the sliding tracks shouldn't be removed.

The sliding part in use:
1: Slide off the eyecup.
2: Slide on the sliding part.
3: Take the picture.
4: Slide off the sliding part.
5: Slide on the eyecup.

I never use the sliding part. Instead I use black gorilla tape to cover the viewfinder during long exposures. Put the gaffer tape over the viewfinder, take the picture, remove gaffer tape.

I would propose a button to electronically block lights from entering the viewfinder during long exposure. One push of the button - its on. Another push of the button and its off.
The Nikon F3HP had a viewfinder blind that was moved into position by a lever. SImple, and mechanically reliable. A push button would require some sort of servo, which is just something else to go wrong.
I do like the idea of a viewfinder blind, I just don't like the idea of making it battery powered.
03-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The Nikon F3HP had a viewfinder blind that was moved into position by a lever.
The blind on my Zenit as well that on my XR-2 and XR-2s are amazingly simple. I don't know how hard such might be to integrate with the existing diopter correction and viewfinder setup, but it would be nice if they could.

Steve