Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2019, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Long exposure and the viewfinder

I enjoy long exposure photography. And as I stated in another thread, I know that Pentax cameras are delivered with a sliding part to block light from entering the viewfinder during long exposures (in order to avoid light leaks).

The sliding tracks on the camera's viewfinder is also used to accommodate the Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup. So the sliding tracks shouldn't be removed.

The sliding part in use:
1: Slide off the eyecup.
2: Slide on the sliding part.
3: Take the picture.
4: Slide off the sliding part.
5: Slide on the eyecup.

I never use the sliding part. Instead I use black gorilla tape to cover the viewfinder during long exposures. Put the gaffer tape over the viewfinder, take the picture, remove gaffer tape.

I would propose a button to electronically block lights from entering the viewfinder during long exposure. One push of the button - its on. Another push of the button and its off.

Last edited by troenaas; 10-14-2019 at 07:09 AM.
10-14-2019, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great idea! but I think the gorilla tape approach is way better.
10-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Great idea! but I think the gorilla tape approach is way better.
As long as I remember to bring the gaffer tape.....

Last edited by troenaas; 10-14-2019 at 07:10 AM.
10-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use black electrical insulation tape as it leaves no residue on the rubber eye cup.

Cut several strips and stick then inside the bag and you are always ready.

I agree the plastic part is a bit of faff.

10-14-2019, 06:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember that, back in the film days, my Minolta X-700 had an eyepiece cap that could be threaded onto the camera strap to keep it handy. That struck me as a pretty neat implementation. The Gorilla tape solution may be super-easy and pragmatic, but I would be wary (perhaps unnecessarily) of adhesive residues on my gear, particularly in such proximity to the optical viewfinder.
10-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
The Gorilla tape solution may be super-easy and pragmatic, but I would be wary (perhaps unnecessarily) of adhesive residues on my gear, particularly in such proximity to the optical viewfinder.
What I actually use is gaffer tape. I didn't remember the name in English and wrote Gorilla tape....
10-14-2019, 07:16 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a simple black cloth to drape over the pentaprism and finder is sufficient and leaves no residue and is reusable. Add a rubber band and it works even if the camera is in an odd position.

10-14-2019, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #8

Gaffer tape is made to not leave behind residue.

Just draping a hat over the pentaprism housing and viewfinder works for me.
10-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

There should be a lever to enable/disable viewfinder curtain like in Canon 1Ds or Nikon D8xx and D3-5 series. It does not cost $$$$ to make. So Pentax, please include it in next model if it has OVF.
10-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just use a piece of thin cardboard and put in under the rubber. Very useful!
10-14-2019, 10:23 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A mechanical viewfinder blind on flagship models would be preferable for me as a product suggestion for Pentax.

Steve
10-14-2019, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Realistically, as a percentage of owners how many people need to cover the OVF and how often?
We are in danger of adding another feature / cost / weight / size increase to placate a marginal use case.
10-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I just use a piece of thin cardboard and put in under the rubber. Very useful!
I do the same. Since I first tried this while on holiday I use a piece of the tag that gets attached to hand baggage.

10-14-2019, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Realistically, as a percentage of owners how many people need to cover the OVF and how often?
The answer is more broad than simply those who do long exposures.* The short answer is the percentage of people who use their cameras on tripod in other than in live view and who never use the camera's meter while doing so.

Steve

* The risk of light leakage past the raised mirror is quite real and easily demonstrated by leaving the lens cap on and doing exposures at various shutter speeds with direct sunlight striking the viewfinder eyepiece.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-14-2019 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Accuracy
10-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
he answer is more broad than simply those who do long exposures.* The short answer is the percentage of people who use their cameras on tripod in other than in live view and who are not shooting in M, X, or B modes.

Steve

* The risk of light leakage past the raised mirror is quite real and easily demonstrated by leaving the lens cap on and doing exposures at various shutter speeds with direct sunlight striking the viewfinder eyepiece.
Fair enough, I know it is a thing it's just that there will be users who never need it.