Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2019, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #1

Battery case with integrated charger

While searching for recheargeable batteries fo another electronic device i have, i stubled uppon a battery case that also doubles as a charger, with a usb socket (covered by a little door) to easily charge all batteries at the same time.

Now, if we take the idea and expand it a bit, one could create a modular system, with a base module - with a battery compartment and the electronics and circuits needed by the charger, and a few sockets for further expansion modules. Naturally all modules should have the same width and height, but not depth, to seamlessly assemble the modules.

As modules i imagine the following possibilities:
- base model: d-li 90 and d-li 109 - each comes matching the camera
- battery expansion modell - like above
- battery grip expansion module- 6xaa batteries
- flash expansion module - 4xaa batteries
- possibilty of powerbank modules
- powerbank module with wireless charging that can also be used independantly to charge your phone or such.

And, of course, all could be made WR, with rubber sealed doors and connectors.

On second thought, it could also be possible to make a base model out of a normal charging module and a battery expansion module - that way you could use all modules independently.

Such a solution would solve all my battery management problems, because we sometimes use KP and K3+grip with aa's, and that totals to 3 chargers only for the cameras...

I would also like to propose, if anyone is up to it to try and make a diy one. I have a 3d printer, and have some experience designing stuff, but have no idea about circuits and such. If it's feasible, i would like to give it a go.

10-16-2019, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a good idea. However from a costing perspective it may not be feasible.
10-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Do you know the Hähnel UniPal Plus?
hahnelusa.com/irish-shop/unipal_plus/

Last edited by angerdan; 10-16-2019 at 12:30 PM.
10-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Do you know the Hähnel UniPal Plus?
hahnelusa.com/irish-shop/unipal_plus/
That is a solution, but my problem is charging more battery types at the same time.

I saw a product that was almost what i need, but as always, it was not available outside the u.s. but i do not know what it was called.

---------- Post added 10-16-19 at 09:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Sounds like a good idea. However from a costing perspective it may not be feasible.
I have seen a lot of products that where overpriced, or so i thought at the time. But if they are still being sold, the price is worth it for some. That being said, not knowing how these things work, i can only hope somebody will do something about all the chargers and batteries, because i find them really outdated.

Last edited by robiles; 10-16-2019 at 12:53 PM.
10-19-2019, 07:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

What do you think about it?
Hähnel PROCUBE2 - 3D printed adapter for Pentax D-Li90
10-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Looks like another nice product not available for pentax. Iirc, olympus or somebody else has similar batteries to the d-li90... i could just buy one and butcher the adapters to house pentax batteries, but i dont have faith in my skills to succeed just yet.
05-25-2020, 01:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
While searching for recheargeable batteries fo another electronic device i have, i stubled uppon a battery case that also doubles as a charger, with a usb socket (covered by a little door) to easily charge all batteries at the same time.
Such a solution would solve all my battery management problems, because we sometimes use KP and K3+grip with aa's, and that totals to 3 chargers only for the cameras...I would also like to propose, if anyone is up to it to try and make a diy one.
I have a 3d printer, and have some experience designing stuff, but have no idea about circuits and such. If it's feasible, i would like to give it a go.
I'd just rediscovered your thread
And of course i like your idea.
Aditional ideas for expansion modules:
What do you think about the Sony NPA-MQZ1K?
Multi Battery Adapter Kit - Sony NPA-MQZ1K - PentaxForums.com

How about the replies for your 3D printing project?

08-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Some dreams did come true:
The new Pentax battery charger D-BC177 offers faster charging - Pentax Rumors
11-05-2020, 12:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
+1.
It’s not that practical.
11-06-2020, 11:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mixalis_kalymnos1611 Quote
+1.
It’s not that practical.
True, especially for such a small potential market.
11-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #12
John McC from Aotearoa.
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why not stick to AA cells? For my K100D I just carried lots of charged spares.
11-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by McCMac Quote
Why not stick to AA cells?
Low energy density. 18650 and 20700 cells are much more effective.
NiMh: 0.28-0.35 MJ/kg
Li-Io:..0.59-1.06 MJ/kg

Li-Ion also has higher charge and discharge rates. Like 2A charging and 10A discharging.

Energy density - Wikipedia