Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Apple-Pentax Camera

All,

I was thinking it would be a big hit if Ricoh and Apple go to a joint venture together and build a camera with Pentax technology and an iPhone back.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,
Sam

---------- Post added 02-13-20 at 03:00 AM ----------

my personal preference would be minimal controls on the camera and move all the other controls to the iPhone App.

I have a theory that with more electronics, the SLR cameras became more and more complicated for the average people and hence the popularity of point and shoot or nowadays smartphones.

So the "Apple-Pentax" camera would have the basic controls on the camera and the rest of the rubbish would be accessible via the app in the back of the camera.

---------- Post added 02-13-20 at 03:08 AM ----------

I would be the first one to buy something like this myself

Last edited by Samwise.Gamgee; 02-12-2020 at 04:37 PM.
02-12-2020, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure I'd be an early adopter but what about a DSLR with both Android and Apple connectivity driven with an app as you suggest? Of course, the whole thing would need to be able to work without a phone attached... Wait! My Pentax does that already!
02-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Like to Motorola and Hasselblad?

Didn't buy that for my Motorola, so doubt I'd want a hybrid apple camera either
02-12-2020, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do we really need all this added technology just to take a photo? You know, like they managed in the olden days.
[IMG][/IMG]

02-12-2020, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

My first thought is.. why would Apple want to collaborate with Pentax in the first place?
Because of (the product) design principle? Because of the technology coherence? etc?

Apple is a mega famous company at this point. If they collaborate with Pentax, Ricoh would get huuuuuge huge market recognition but what Apple will gain from doing that?

As for hypercritical speaking, I think it will be very good for Pentax as a brand and Ricoh as a company. I just hopped the warranty is not voided when we change the camera's battery at home.
02-12-2020, 06:32 PM   #6

There was one company a few years back that made a camera that did just this. Didn’t go over. Would love to see and updated GRX with just an M mount again.
02-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, the Pen-Ap smartphone...

It would be much more like an iPhone than a DSLR. Apple is best equipped to build a phone camera, and I don't see what "Pentax technology" could add to that. I'm not sure Pentax's strength is from inventions and patents. Pentax excels in ergonomics, features and value.

02-12-2020, 09:20 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samwise.Gamgee Quote
What are your thoughts?
First thought:

What have you been smoking?*

my personal preference would be minimal controls on the camera and move all the other controls to the iPhone App.

I have a theory that with more electronics, the SLR cameras became more and more complicated for the average people and hence the popularity of point and shoot or nowadays smartphones.

So the "Apple-Pentax" camera would have the basic controls on the camera and the rest of the rubbish would be accessible via the app in the back of the camera.
So, get rid of all the controls that make Pentax camera's so easy to use, being able to adjust everything without even lifting it from your eye?

*and where do we get some, it must be good stuff
02-12-2020, 10:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My only feasible thought along those lines would be for Apple to have Ricoh/Pentax optics incorporated in one of its phones. You’d have to ask, though, what Apple would gain by way of either engineering value or prestige. Their optics seem to be pretty good as it is. Other brands enjoy having Leica or Carl Zeiss on their phones as a prestige feature, but recognition of Pentax in the same way would be very limited (no pun intended).

We’ve had a few people here expressing their affection for Android as an OS in a Pentax camera. Not for me, I’m afraid, as Google/Alphabet’s business model isn’t to my taste, but Carl Zeiss announced such a beast a while ago – I haven’t been surprised to note its lack of appearance on the market, to date.
02-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own a lot devices from the apple ecosystem and love it. Once they also developed the leading app Apple Aperture 3 ... and let it die. I love my Pentax cameras for what they are. IMO compared to Ricoh / Pentax, Apple showed and shows a lot different priorities in the field of photography. I like Ricoh’s / Pentax´ priorities much more. Please no such cooperation!
02-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #11
PDL
Pentaxian

Since I don't own anything made by Apple - that would mean I would not buy the product.

(Not liking Apple since 1977)
02-13-2020, 08:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All,

I was thinking it would be a big hit if Ricoh and Apple go to a joint venture together and build a camera with Pentax technology and an iPhone back.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,
Sam

---------- Post added 02-13-20 at 03:00 AM ----------

---------- Post added 02-13-20 at 03:08 AM ----------

I would be the first one to buy something like this myself
Samsung had already tried this and it didn't sell very well at all. It was the Galaxy series of cameras. Basically, it was a Samsung Galaxy Android phone with the phone module removed, a larger than phone sensor and a proper lens. It wasn't long after that when Samsung decided to pull out of the Camera market. Their last camera release was amazing though and way ahead of it's time. Maaaan, if Pentax and Samsung had partnered together again and we got a version of the Samsung NX-1, who the heck knows how far ahead Pentax would be now... Ah, to dream...
Here's the specs of the NX1 (2015) if interested.

Samsung NX1 key features
28.2 megapixel APS-C BSI-CMOS sensor
Hybrid AF system with 205 phase-detect points covering 90% of the frame
15 fps burst shooting with continuous autofocus
4K (DCI 4K & UHD) video recording using H.265 codec
Can output 4:2:2 8-bit 4K video over HDMI
Stripe pattern AF illuminator with 15m range
Weather-resistant magnesium alloy body
Context-sensitive adaptive noise reduction
3" tilting Super AMOLED touchscreen display
2.36M dot OLED EVF with 5ms lag
LCD info display on top of camera
Built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
USB 3.0 interface
Optional battery grip

More info here

Galaxy Camera (2012)
More about the Galaxy Cam here

Now, if the new Pentax APS-C were to be as loaded as the NX1 was in 2015 with the modern Pentax twists and newer tech. They'd knock it right out of the park!
A phone based camera at a premium price just won't cut it from a dedicated camera manufacturer's stand point. At least I don't think so.
02-13-2020, 10:59 PM   #13

Original Poster
Pentax part would be: k-mount Camera body, sensor, all the smarts in the camera, basic controls and a long list of lenses
Apple: just a phone and an App which would act as LCD and most of the advanced controls

What would Pentax get: big market
What would Apple get: peace of mind as Pentax is a well-known brand with a long history
02-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few months ago a member made a similar thread about Android: Why aren't camera brands using Android? - PentaxForums.com

A hard NO from me for either OS appearing in my camera.
02-18-2020, 05:08 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Do we really need all this added technology just to take a photo?
Yes, we need it because it represent many billions of USD revenues for the corporations designing smartphones, selling smartphone, collecting your personnal data, where you go (via reading the GPS on your phone), what pictures you take, what are your contacts, what key words your search in google, data analytics and reselling as market research data, etc...