Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

Dynamic Range Mode: Message to Ricoh

Dear Ricoh,

Now that you are about to introduce a new camera sometime this year, I have the following suggestion.

Please include a Dynamic Range Mode (DR) for those of us who prefer using our digital camera as an ISO less device to achieve maximum dynamic range - the way god intended digital sensors should be used. In this mode ISO is locked at 100 or the value that yields the maximum DR. Shutter speed and / or aperture can be designated to independently bracket the exposure as designated by the photographer.

The picture taking sequence will be as follows. 1) The camera/photographer will set aperture and shutter speed to suit the scene while avoiding over exposure - under exposure can be compensated in post processing. 2) Exposure meter will indicates under exposure stops if any 3) Photographer will set Bracketing so expose a number of frames varying f stop and/ or Shutter speed to compensate for the indicated under exposure.

There are many ways to achieve the same thing. I just want to put this out for general consideration. In my opinion it would really set Pentax apart from the pack.

03-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ShawnH Quote
There are many ways to achieve the same thing. I just want to put this out for general consideration. In my opinion it would really set Pentax apart from the pack.
Unfortunately, it would be an "empty" feature, if indeed the sensor is actually ISO-less. (The concept is inferred by observation, but not confirmed by any design or specification documentation, regardless of brand.) Pentax may simply state (and quite truthfully) that dynamic range is 14 stops, the bit-depth of the capture.

Steve
03-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The point is to have mode that can take full advantage of the 14 f-stops.
03-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Unfortunately, it would be an "empty" feature, if indeed the sensor is actually ISO-less. (The concept is inferred by observation, but not confirmed by any design or specification documentation, regardless of brand.) Pentax may simply state (and quite truthfully) that dynamic range is 14 stops, the bit-depth of the capture.

Steve
The bit depth does not correspond to a specific dynamic range, not at all.
14bit simply means it can store 2^14^3 different colors, this can cover .5ev or 1000000ev.

03-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
14bit simply means it can store 2^14^3 different colors, this can cover .5ev or 1000000ev.
It appears we have a difference of opinion based on inadequate knowledge. I won't tutor you on the basics.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-16-2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: clarity
03-16-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is theoretically true. You could have a 14-bit sensor which has a working dynamic range of 2 stops, but can resolve very subtle tonal changes within those two stops. Or you could have a 14-bit sensor with a 48-stop dynamic range, but has difficulty avoiding banding in its images. Neither would be viable in the general photographic market.

Back to reality: a 14-stop dynamic range from a 14-bit sensor (at best) is how Pentax and the rest describe their sensors' sensitivity. Third-party measurements broadly confirm that.
03-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If you are going to do Step 1, I'm not sure I understand why you need Steps 2 and 3.

Philip

03-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Or you could have a 14-bit sensor with a 48-stop dynamic range
That would be sort of hard to do without evaluating ranges to bits. While it is possible to do that in the A/D conversion, there might be downstream hazards in doing so.

Back to reality: a 14-stop dynamic range from a 14-bit sensor (at best) is how Pentax and the rest describe their sensors' sensitivity. Third-party measurements broadly confirm that.
Yep...creation of a linear TIFF using dcraw or evaluation in RawDigger seem to indicate that a linear response is the intent.

Steve
03-16-2020, 01:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

And this is more or less a coincidence, not forced by 14bit by any means. The numbers look very similar and the dynamic increase was pretty linear to bit increase in the past decade, but there is absolutely no proportionality or linearity between those two quantities, unlike some people keep telling in forums until it is considered common sense.

---------- Post added 03-16-20 at 01:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would be sort of hard to do without evaluating ranges to bits.

Steve
Do you understand how a bit bandwidth works? Because it does not make any sense at all to conclude the bit per ev from that.
The conversion works perfectly fine as long as you go for more than 4bit. Digital processing in this high resolution has no missalignment issues as there were 30 years ago with digital circuits.
03-16-2020, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And this is more or less a coincidence...
It's rather an academic point, don't you think? We don't agonise over the alternative when a delightful composition presents itself, the finished image is more important to us than that. Get the exposure right, focus accurately, frame the composition appropriately and hold the camera still!

Done.
03-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
"If you are going to do Step 1, I'm not sure I understand why you need Steps 2 and 3."

Often times light levels are too low (night photography) and the shutter speed required for a Sharp image is too short causing up to -5 stops of under exposure. However if you bracket shutter speed you have chance of getting a sharp image that is better exposed.

---------- Post added 03-16-20 at 09:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
If you are going to do Step 1, I'm not sure I understand why you need Steps 2 and 3.

Philip
Often times light levels are too low (night photography) and the shutter speed required for a Sharp image is too short causing up to -5 stops of under exposure. However if you bracket shutter speed you have chance of getting a sharp image that is better exposed.

Read more at: Dynamic Range Mode: Message to Ricoh - PentaxForums.com
03-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

What you are describing looks like Av Mode with bracketing. Your range of desired shutter speeds would be selected by setting the number of bracketed shots, setting the Exposure Value between the bracketed shots, and adjusting Exposure Compensation. You could save a typical set-up as one of the User Modes and adjust from that for each new scene.

Philip
03-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
What you are describing looks like Av Mode with bracketing. Your range of desired shutter speeds would be selected by setting the number of bracketed shots, setting the Exposure Value between the bracketed shots, and adjusting Exposure Compensation. You could save a typical set-up as one of the User Modes and adjust from that for each new scene.

Philip
The problem with the AV mode is that shutter speeds can drop too low. That's why I am asking Ricoh top do something about it rather that we trying to put together a work around. I have set up a user mode now for night photography. It goes like this: Mode: ATV > Shutter 1/160 > Fstop: 2.0> ISO 100~3200> Bracketing +/- 2 stops 0 > Exposure Compensation -2 stops. This is a setup so that ISO is bracketed from 3200 through 100. The ISO 3200 is used for preview and ISO 100 is used for actual processing. However, I would like a mode that brackets the shutter speed from my predefined value down say 1/30 & 1/15. If those images turn out sharp enough then I would gain in lower noise and better image quality.
03-18-2020, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The problem with the AV mode is that shutter speeds can drop too low. That's why I am asking Ricoh top do something about it rather that we trying to put together a work around. I have set up a user mode now for night photography. It goes like this: Mode: ATV > Shutter 1/160 > Fstop: 2.0> ISO 100~3200> Bracketing +/- 2 stops 0 > Exposure Compensation -2 stops. This is a setup so that ISO is bracketed from 3200 through 100. The ISO 3200 is used for preview and ISO 100 is used for actual processing. However, I would like a mode that brackets the shutter speed from my predefined value down say 1/30 & 1/15. If those images turn out sharp enough then I would gain in lower noise and better image quality.
If I need a low shutter speed I brace myself, breathe in and shoot a burst. Normally one out of the 3 or 4 images comes out a treat, problem fixed.
03-18-2020, 03:59 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I would like a mode that brackets the shutter speed from my predefined value down say 1/30 & 1/15. If those images turn out sharp enough then I would gain in lower noise and better image quality.
That is what Av Mode with bracketing allows you to do. In the Menu (C2 on a KP) the Bracketing Order 2 or 3 are probably the better options - the displayed shutter speed is the one that's flashing on the EV scale on the rear screen. You can then select the range of shutter speeds you want by moving the set (of e.g. 5 shots) along the scale using the EC control.

Philip