Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #1

Extra long shutter release cable

Hi. Does anyone know where to get an extra long shutter release cable for the k-70? i can't seem to find any over 36 inches.
thanks.

03-22-2020, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pixel RW-E3

2.4ghz remote. About 80m distance.
03-22-2020, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

They're really easy to make... I've got a 20 foot or so long one. All you need is jack (2.5mm stereo), some wire, and two little push button switches (or a single dual-stage one).

If you're interested, I can write out a simple how-to.
03-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
That would be awesome. Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
They're really easy to make... I've got a 20 foot or so long one. All you need is jack (2.5mm stereo), some wire, and two little push button switches (or a single dual-stage one).

03-23-2020, 04:41 AM   #5
Unregistered User

It doesn't need to be a specialty item for photography. As long as the diameter, tip and ring numbers are correct for that camera, any commercially available extension cord will do.
03-23-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be grateful if you were to post that. TIA
03-23-2020, 11:10 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scottish_explorer Quote
That would be awesome. Thank you.
QuoteOriginally posted by whammerhead Quote
Give me a few days here, I'll see if I can find the materials to construct a new one and do a photo-guide with construction...

03-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #8

Original Poster
Give me a few days here, I'll see if I can find the materials to construct a new one and do a photo-guide with construction...
that would be great

---------- Post added 03-23-20 at 05:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
It doesn't need to be a specialty item for photography. As long as the diameter, tip and ring numbers are correct for that camera, any commercially available extension cord will do.
what do you mean by that?
03-24-2020, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #9
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by scottish_explorer Quote
...what do you mean by that?
The dimensions of the plug and receptacle on the extension cord have to match those of the receptacle on the camera. Some plugs' diameter will be 2.5mm or 3.5mm or 1/8". The tip and ring specifications refers to the number of conductors in the wire. If you look at the plug, it will have a metal tip, which is one conductor, as well as one or more metal rings, usually separated from the tip and each other with plastic insulating rings. Each of those, as well as the metallic "sleeve", is also a separate conductor. So a monaural audio cable is a TS, like those used to connect electronic musical instruments to amplifiers, consisting only two conductors. The "rings" are added for additional connectivity, so a TRS cable works for stereo headphones, and a TRRS cable works to connect an audio headset with a microphone to a smartphone (for example). So as long as the dimensions and conductivity of an audio extension cable are the same as those as for the wired shutter release cable, the extension cord will work.
03-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by whammerhead Quote
Sorry guys, couldn't find stuff to make a new one... but I'll try my best to explain here, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

To start you need a 2.5mm stereo jack (they're not as easy to find as 3.5mm jacks but can be had online with no problems). There will be three connections on it; ground, focus/exposure, and shutter. I can't remember which is which, but it's fairly easy to work out using a bit of wire. Then use a three strand wire (or four, and you only need to use three of them), and connect each strand to a different connection on the jack. The wire can pretty much be any length you like. On the other end you need to connect one push button between the ground and shutter wires, and the other between the ground and focus wires. There you have it. You can make the end look nice if you like, mine was just soldered directly to the buttons and wrapped in copious amounts of electrical tape...
03-26-2020, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #11

Just buy a 2.5mm stereo extension cord. They come in 6,12 or 15 foot lengths. Plug it into the camera, plug you existing remote into the extension.

amazon.com: stereo 2.5mm extension cord - Extension Cords / Headphone Accessories: Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
03-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Just buy a 2.5mm stereo extension cord. They come in 6,12 or 15 foot lengths. Plug it into the camera, plug you existing remote into the extension.

amazon.com: stereo 2.5mm extension cord - Extension Cords / Headphone Accessories: Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
I got a 25 ft one. works like a charm
thank you