Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2020, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

2 years with K-1 MK2 and not a single major FW update

Dear Ricoh/Pentax, I have now owned a single camera for 2 years in a row which is a record for me. This record DSLR body is K-1 MK2. But seriously, we have not received a major content FW patch for K-1 since late 2016 (electronic shutter and some other major goodies).

Some suggestions to do:

0) Enable electronic shutter for interval shooting / multiexposure composites
1) Focus Bracketing (would make me purchase few modern AF lenses instantly)
2) Massive Liveview gain increase (selectable from 3rd wheel) to be able to see in the dark
3) Sensor Shift bracketing

It is about time to produce something useful for your user base.

04-11-2020, 06:39 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
But seriously, we have not received a major content FW patch for K-1 since late 2016 (electronic shutter and some other major goodies).
Something about honey and vinegar.........................................just sayin'............ I don't think demands will make Ricoh/PENTAX jump.
04-11-2020, 07:33 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Inactive Account

Try ?????? (PENTAX by RICOH IMAGING) - ??? | Facebook
but don't hold your breath waiting for it.

04-12-2020, 01:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

2) Massive Liveview gain increase (selectable from 3rd wheel) to be able to see in the dark
Not putting down you proposal, but you can already do it via outdoor settings which basically increased brightness of the lcd both in live view and for reviewing photos.

0) Enable electronic shutter for interval shooting / multiexposure composites1) Focus Bracketing (would make me purchase few modern AF lenses instantly)
Lens focus breathing is not great. You can do it focus shift by moving AF point in from close to far in LV, having it in firmware just makes it easier.

3) Sensor Shift bracketing
You can do it already in LV mode, as soon as image preview is done the shift is reset to zero. So, you get your first shot is shifted, and second not shifted.
What would be your use case of sensor shift bracketing?

Pentax (now Ricoh) do what they think is good for themselves. Sometimes it makes sense , sometimes not.

Sometimes, I'm thinking about a camera with a large sensor and that produces only 16bits RAW files , without any fancy in camera filters, features & all things that you can't use as soon as you process raw files in external software. Whenever I use in camera special features, either I find in camera sliders too rudimentary for refined image post processing, or unless using PDCU any special Pentax features are discarded, hence useless.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-12-2020 at 02:05 AM.
04-12-2020, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maximum brightness just kills human vision in dark even in the redlight-mode. It is a non-solution and not produce usable gain improvement. Tried this over and over and I cannot even map the setting to 3rd wheel as I can with KP.

Playing back image does NOT reset the shift. It does not do that, and it should not do that. But if there is a reset option somewhere I have missed it. Anyway, it is cumbersome to go thru all the max positions to gain usable picture area or just switch to ~4:3 aspect ratio (max up/down panorama).

Focus bracketing done manually is so very bad concept in many ways. For one, light is gone in most cases where details count near-far and manual bracketing is finally done. Second, it is possible to bump the setup in some situations.
04-12-2020, 04:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Playing back image does NOT reset the shift. It does not do that, and it should not do that. But if there is a reset option somewhere I have missed it. Anyway, it is cumbersome to go thru all the max positions to gain usable picture area or just switch to ~4:3 aspect ratio (max up/down panorama).
If you're talking about composition adjustment, the green button sends it back to [0,0]. It would be nice to have an option where a fast double-press on the arrow sends the sensor to the max shift position, though.
If you don't have it set like that already, I have found that the menu option "enable composition adjustment" automatically brings up the sensor shift dialog.
04-12-2020, 04:19 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think a single engineer should be diverted from the K-3 successor project. APS-C owners have been waiting a lot longer than two years.

Mind you, with the worldwide economic crisis, maybe launching things does get put on the backburner and some housekeeping's possible.

04-12-2020, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Aye, current situation is plain impossible but world must go on at some point.

And yes, I use green button to reset sensor shift. Still, there are many steps to take before all four corners are done.
04-12-2020, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

And yes, I use green button to reset sensor shift. Still, there are many steps to take before all four corners are done.
The value of multi-shot technique is rather low, unusable in many situations. If multi-shot was working that well, there would be zero market for medium format.
- Any time subjects move, multi-shot is hardly possible, unless going through painful post processing
- Any time light changes between frames, multi-shot requires exposure equalization, again time spent in post processing
- Long exposures can hardly work with multi-shot technique, unless going though complicated exposure workflow and/or lots of processing, that's why there is still a market for ND and ND grad filters

---------- Post added 12-04-20 at 20:17 ----------

That said, it would be nice to have full time electronic shutter for bracketing and composite stacks, and also maybe some focus stacking

---------- Post added 12-04-20 at 20:19 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I don't think a single engineer should be diverted from the K-3 successor project.
Usually they (also like Canikon) always keep some features off the old model, add those new features to the new body so that customers are motivated to upgrade again.
04-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmh, I did not mean like shifting 1 step and taking 4 frames ending up with some kind of HassleBad MultiShot. I meant extending the capture area as most FF lenses allow capturing more than the usual 36x24mm area in the middle of the image circle. All my current lenses except Irix 15mm allow such extension and I use it all the time to get ~4:3 ratio after shifting up/down as far as K-1 allows and creating a vertical panorama out of those two images. It is built-in rear rise/fall/shift and very useful.
04-13-2020, 09:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

All my current lenses except Irix 15mm allow such extension and I use it all the time to get ~4:3 ratio after shifting up/down as far as K-1 allows and creating a vertical panorama out of those two images. It is built-in rear rise/fall/shift and very useful.
Yeah. A full shift of the sensor up and down yield a 4:3 image with more pixels. Having done 4 x full sensor shifts to corners, I'd say that the shifts in horizontal direction also grab the worst part of the image circle (less so for vertical shifts). Interestingly, pixel shift still works when the sensor is shifted. The advantage of vertical shifts is straightforward stitch of the composite, no parallax or lens distortion issues, no problem is third party software as it is with pixel shift.
04-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I meant extending the capture area as most FF lenses allow capturing more than the usual 36x24mm area in the middle of the image circle.
Interesting idea, though image quality at both ends will likely suffer unless using adapted medium format glass.

Steve
04-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Interesting idea, though image quality at both ends will likely suffer unless using adapted medium format glass.

Steve
Not necessarily if the glass is good; the FF sensor is 24x36 and shifting vertically would make it... 30x36 effectively? So it won't even be as bad as the horizontal edges.
04-13-2020, 11:13 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Not necessarily if the glass is good; the FF sensor is 24x36 and shifting vertically would make it... 30x36 effectively? So it won't even be as bad as the horizontal edges.
Edges, yes...corners, no...

Steve
04-13-2020, 11:33 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Edges, yes...corners, no...

Steve
If the lens has good corner perfomance "normally" it will still be pretty good, or you can crop the sides slightly. I haven't noticed a huge loss of quality in any of my lenses when using composition adjustment (which includes the M20/4, and that one never has particularly sharp corners).