Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2020, 04:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In Body ND Filter

Why not have (ND) Neutral Density filters incorporated inside the camera. This might make the camera more bulky, but it would make it easier for photographers who hate to carry and use filters.

06-13-2020, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Why not have (ND) Neutral Density filters incorporated inside the camera. This might make the camera more bulky, but it would make it easier for photographers who hate to carry and use filters.
What grade of filter would you put in? I use everything from 3 stop to 10 stop. Putting one filter in might solve 30% of my ND filter needs. Also, are you going to put it in front of the sensor where it can attract dust, or right behind the lens mount where it has to be quite large and has to become part of the refractive light path?
Also, what quality of filter do you propose? Something like a cheap Marumi that wonít significantly impact the price of the camera beyond the expensive mechanism for moving it in and out of the light path or something pricier like a Breakthrough filter that is as optically superb as a * series or equivalent lens?

Itís an interesting idea, but I suspect it is also one that isnít viable in reality.
06-13-2020, 04:26 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Maybe you want this:

https://www.lsst.org/sites/default/files/media2.gif

It's the filter system for the camera on the LSST (Large Synoptic Survey Telescope https://www.lsst.org/about/camera ). Mind you, it's a bit large. The filters are over 640mm in diameter and the camera is 3.2 gigapixels.
06-13-2020, 05:17 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FWIW, the Ricoh GR has an electronic ND 'filter' rated to two stops. It's not a real filter, of course, but it also doesn't have the problems associated with a real filter.

06-14-2020, 03:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are thinking of graduated NDs, you can do a fair amount with digital these days simply by underexposing for the highlights and pushing the foreground in post.

If you are thinking of straight NDs that allow for longer exposures and smoothing of water and stuff like that, Pentax does have a composite mode that allows for a similar effect. As for an actual physical filter within the camera, I can't imagine the complexity necessary to get it into place when you wanted it, have it be the right strength and clean it when it got dirt spots on it. Seems like a really hard thing to carry out.
06-14-2020, 03:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sony video camera's we use at work have them build in. The one I use, applies that feature automatically but with the more advanced camera's you use them manually. So it is possible but does add to the bulk of the camera.
06-15-2020, 08:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just read recently that some Panasonic cameras already have built-in ND filters, not sure how they work though ?
06-23-2020, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I just read recently that some Panasonic cameras already have built-in ND filters, not sure how they work though ?
It turns out that someone is making in body filters for various manufacturers, including Pentax.
Clip Filter Series | STC Filter?OPTICAL CO. LTD.

07-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Canon G3X has one of these 3 stops "built-in" ND filter. Inside with flash, you remove it to get a better range, outside in bright light, you put it on to reduce shutter speeds. I keep forgetting it though ... The electronic shutter is limited to 1/2000 sec and the ND simulates 1/16 000 sec in bright light as the lens apertures are limited to f/8.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 07-09-2020 at 02:34 PM.
07-09-2020, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It turns out that someone is making in body filters for various manufacturers, including Pentax.
Clip Filter Series | STC Filter?OPTICAL CO. LTD.
I received one a week or so ago, a 4 stop or what they refer to as a ND16. Same clip filter for both APS-C and FF oddly enough. I'll let your know after the weekend what I think of it.
07-15-2020, 04:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I have the STC filter 6 stops and it does itís job. I have used it for doing some long exposures.

---------- Post added 07-15-2020 at 07:50 AM ----------

I have the STC filter 6 stops and it does itís job. I have used it for doing some long exposures. The best part about those filters are that I can use it with any lens or any Pentax cameras
08-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I received one a week or so ago, a 4 stop or what they refer to as a ND16. Same clip filter for both APS-C and FF oddly enough. I'll let your know after the weekend what I think of it.
I read some reviews about these filters time ago. They have an online shop but you can only buy a package with 3 filters, but I'm interested only in the ND16. Is it possible to get only one?
08-16-2020, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
I read some reviews about these filters time ago. They have an online shop but you can only buy a package with 3 filters, but I'm interested only in the ND16. Is it possible to get only one?
I bought just one, the ND16. Their store is a bit confusing so I'd go back and look closer. I think it was $99 plus shipping of $25, bu I could be off by $25
08-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I bought just one, the ND16. Their store is a bit confusing so I'd go back and look closer. I think it was $99 plus shipping of $25, bu I could be off by $25
I found it, thanks. The name of a single filter was a bit confusing for me, they name it 'IR-CUT' filter, so I thought it was a different filter.

Regards.
08-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
I found it, thanks. The name of a single filter was a bit confusing for me, they name it 'IR-CUT' filter, so I thought it was a different filter.

Regards.
Happy to help. As I said the site is confusing.