Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2020, 01:25 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

'User Mode' - save options?

Every so often I come up with a combination of settings that have been useful for a particular scenario or set of circumstances and find I have no "User Settings" available to save it. I usually overwrite one of the default settings, write everything down in a notebook or whatever, usually when I get home, then re-enable the previously over-written default.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to save 'User Settings' to the SD card as well, then re-load from there. Each setting would only take up a few hundred bytes at most, so would hardly impinge on the overall capacity of the card.

Just a thought

08-15-2020, 04:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Every so often I come up with a combination of settings that have been useful for a particular scenario or set of circumstances and find I have no "User Settings" available to save it. I usually overwrite one of the default settings, write everything down in a notebook or whatever, usually when I get home, then re-enable the previously over-written default.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to save 'User Settings' to the SD card as well, then re-load from there. Each setting would only take up a few hundred bytes at most, so would hardly impinge on the overall capacity of the card.

Just a thought
Why would you reset to the default user settings? The whole point of the user settings is for you to be able to save the settings combinations you like there...
08-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Why would you reset to the default user settings? The whole point of the user settings is for you to be able to save the settings combinations you like there...

Exactly ... but there's not enough "spare" user settings ... the K-70 has three, all pre-allocated, at least two of which I use regularly, the KP has five, but only one "spare". All five "user modes" on the K-5 are initially free, but quickly used up. I just thought it'd be useful to be able to carry around a collection of named configurations that I'd found to be useful without having to refer to a notebook and spend time diving in and out of menus to set things up.

These modern cameras are so extensively configurable it can be easy to forget how to take advantage of any one feature when 'live, in the field', if, indeed, I can remember that the feature or capability is available at all
Fortunately, many of the options can be applied later, either by re-saving from within the camera or by using the supplied Digital Camera Utility ... however the Drive Mode options particularly need to be set at the time of exposure
08-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a thought
I’ve just filled my user settings, I see where you are coming from. A user setting, let’s call it “card 1” that looks to a directory on the card and let’s the operator choose from a selection of settings saved to the card would be a nice touch. It would also be nice to be able to load user settings from a card into the camera’s discrete settings rather than having to set the camera to the settings and then save them.
Canon did something like this with one of the EOS cameras back in the 1980s.

10-02-2020, 12:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Also, it would be nice to have the settings saved to a file that you could review and edit in Notepad++. It'd give a better overview than diving into menus, + you could exchange settings with other users.
10-02-2020, 04:41 AM   #6
Unregistered User

I think that's a great idea, and you'd think it'd be pretty easy to implement. Only risk is that one might overwrite the stored settings by reformatting the memory card, or replacing the card in the camera with one that lacks the settings profile data.
10-02-2020, 06:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I think that's a great idea, and you'd think it'd be pretty easy to implement. Only risk is that one might overwrite the stored settings by reformatting the memory card, or replacing the card in the camera with one that lacks the settings profile data.
Yeah, maybe writing it to the card shouldn't be an option, but rather transfer to a computer (or even mobile phone) via USB/wifi/bluetooth?

10-02-2020, 06:50 AM   #8
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Yeah, maybe writing it to the card shouldn't be an option, but rather transfer to a computer (or even mobile phone) via USB/wifi/bluetooth?
True. And, for that matter, it's always bugged me that I couldn't back up the entire settings database. If I could write it to a computer (whether directly via usb or indirectly via memory card) the way you can with, for example, router settings, I'd be a lot happier. It's really tedious to go through every setting to get the camera back to the way one wants it after something causes the database to be reset to defaults.
10-02-2020, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

And imagine having more than one camera body, and being able to copy user settings between them! (Provided both/all bodies are of the same model, or the settings are interchangable between models)
11-01-2020, 03:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every so often I come up with a combination of settings that have been useful for a particular scenario or set of circumstances and find I have no "User Settings" available to save it.

I usually overwrite one of the default settings, write everything down in a notebook or whatever, usually when I get home, then re-enable the previously over-written default.
You can use this tool to make it more easy
The Spectacular K-1 User Mode Sharing Service! - PentaxForums.com
11-02-2020, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote

Excellent … now I just need to figure out a way of running an Excel spreadsheet on my KP
11-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I take a cell phone pic of the status screen for future reference:
Attached Images

11-30-2020, 12:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I take a cell phone pic of the status screen for future reference:
Hmmm … first, buy a cell-phone!

Then figure out a way of passing these settings to the camera "without having to refer to a notebook and spend time diving in and out of menus to set things up."
11-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hmmm … first, buy a cell-phone!

Then figure out a way of passing these settings to the camera "without having to refer to a notebook and spend time diving in and out of menus to set things up."
Clearly it's too much for you as one in ~ten people that don't have a cell phone*. But since most people have one, a pic of a single screen is far less tedious than entering information into a spreadsheet or writing in a notebook. Speaking for myself, I prefer reducing an effort by half than by none. I hope you don't lose your notebook.

* Of people with electricity.
06-25-2021, 10:56 PM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The cellphone sounds plausible.