Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2020, 04:13 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Full-Spectrum for everyone

Sigma Foveon cameras have long been available with user removable IR hot-mirror component. It is very easy to operate and also works as dust spot eliminator when installed (dust located on a filter away from sensor stack does not pop up easily in the photos).

This would enable easy IR and even UV photography for everyone provided lenses are good for such task.

Pentax could do better than Sigma easily - just provide various IR cutoff filters which can be installed in place of the standard hot-mirror filter. These guarantee a lot better flare resistance compared to screw-on filters.

Full-spectrum or at least two-spectrum (VIS-IR) for everyone!

09-18-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's actually a pretty awesome idea, and - compared to other areas of camera development - arguably not that difficult to achieve. It's mostly design of the mirror box internals and the swappable filters, with perhaps a little software to leverage them to best advantage.
09-19-2020, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ya! And it would give Pentax yet another unique feature to make K-1 MK3 better than any unmodified FF MILC out there. Same goes for APS-C.
09-19-2020, 05:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree -- fantastic idea. I'd be a buyer. If we could also get support for focus stacking I'd be in seventh heaven ....

09-25-2020, 01:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just noticed the thread... this idea is certainly cool! Would it be -in principle, at least- possible to swap the standard filter with something astro-minded as well (Ha was it?). As far as I know those are inserted under the mirror but that of course is slightly more cumbersome, and on an unmodified camera the end result is still affected...

I probably wouldn't use it too often, but anything that makes Pentax the option for outdoorspeople is a good feature to have IMO .
09-25-2020, 02:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the idea but can consumers be trusted not to make a mess of it? Changing a focusing screen is kinda tricky. Changing a filter on the sensor would be even trickier. If you get it wrong you can scratch and/or ruin your sensor.
09-25-2020, 02:14 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I like the idea but can consumers be trusted not to make a mess of it? Changing a focusing screen is kinda tricky. Changing a filter on the sensor would be even trickier. If you get it wrong you can scratch and/or ruin your sensor.
On the Sigma cameras, if I remember correctly the filter isn't attached to the sensor module but sits just in front of it, held in place by the surrounding mirror box...

09-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I have Quattro SD and the filter is right before the lens mount. It can be clipped off and lifted out easily with two fingers or a pair of pliers.

There is already clip-on filter available which can be installed between the mirror and the lens. Actually at least two products exist - Pro Planet and XTC. Former is more for astro and latter for general IR shooting.
12-09-2020, 06:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
That would be a definite problem unless one knew exactly what they were doing. A new sensor could be a bit expensive.
12-11-2020, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, if done the same way as Sigma has done, there is no risk of ruining the sensor. And, as the Sigma bodies come with IR-cut filter installed as default, there is no need for the user to ever touch the clip-filter system if they don't want to shoot IR.
06-12-2021, 03:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Did anyone notice the difference between the Sigma lens mount an a mirrorless camera compared to a Pentax DSLR? Sorry, won’t work well and the sensor still needs a cover glass.
07-11-2021, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's mostly design of the mirror box internals and the swappable filters, with perhaps a little software to leverage them to best advantage.
If somebody wanted to really engineer something like this, a set of swappable filters could be integrated and stored in the camera, just a setting away from being slid into place. You could choose among the popular wavelength filters in the field this way. A setting for no filter would be reasonable, too, for times when you want to use a filter on the lens or elsewhere in your optical stack, such as with filters for microscopes. Actually, the way some microscopes integrate filters is close to what I'm imagining, but with microscopes they're implemented on a much larger scale and generally moved by hand. The filters for a sensor would be tiny things by comparison, but they'd work much the same way, sliding in and out of the optical path. I think such a camera would be very nice and worth the additional expense to some people.