Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2020, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Menu setting to disable exposure simulation feature in Live View

Live view in recent model Pentax dSLRs includes an exposure simulation such that the display darkens/lightens when exposure compensation is applied in auto exposure modes or in M and X modes when the set exposure is other than what the meter recommends. This behavior can cause significant issues when attempting manual fine focus in live view, when using magnified fine focus as part of PDAF fine adjustment confirmation or when doing manual flash in live view.

It would be nice to have the option of turning this live view display feature off.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-03-2020 at 05:37 PM.
10-04-2020, 01:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Live view in recent model Pentax dSLRs includes an exposure simulation such that the display darkens/lightens when exposure compensation is applied in auto exposure modes or in M and X modes when the set exposure is other than what the meter recommends. This behavior can cause significant issues when attempting manual fine focus in live view, when using magnified fine focus as part of PDAF fine adjustment confirmation or when doing manual flash in live view.
It would be nice to have the option of turning this live view display feature off.
Steve
Something similar happens when using the "Astrophoto" pre-set User mode … I've found that temporarily switching to another Mode can cause the display to brighten.
Just remember to re-set the camera to the preferred settings before making the exposure
I realise this may not a lot of use on a moving subject, but it might help.
10-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seeing Stevebrot has created this new thread on an issue discussed elsewhere I have the need to repeat that having the aperture ring on a manual setting rather than the "A" setting achieves this on my K-1 but apparently not Stevebrot's. It would be great to find the setting difference in our cameras that create the difference. Mine is on M mode and exposure setting is spot. Then if the aperture ring is on an manual setting it behaves the same as a M or K series. And when it is on the "A" setting it behaves in the annoying way Stevebrot describes.
EDIT The K01 seems to exhibit the "good" behaviour whatever setting.
2nd EDIT there is a behaviour difference between LV and OVF setting so for this discussion the camera needs to be in Liveview.

Last edited by GUB; 10-18-2020 at 05:29 PM.
10-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I asked about this a while ago and the best workaround suggested was to use TAv mode and severely restrict the ISO range. Been using that ever since.

10-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Then if the aperture ring is on an manual setting it behaves the same as a M or K series. And when it is on the "A" setting it behaves in the annoying way Stevebrot describes.
This is true. The exposure simulation can only be applied when the body knows what EV is being simulated and that is only possible when aperture is set through the body and mode is other than "B". EDIT: However, when applying exposure compensation, simulation is applied based on the shifted shutter speed alone.

Steve.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-18-2020 at 07:29 PM.
10-18-2020, 07:16 PM   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So the problem is only with the 3 DS FA primes without a ring?
EDIT sorry I was thinking full frame here so for lenses without a ring.

Last edited by GUB; 10-18-2020 at 07:23 PM.
10-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
2nd EDIT there is a behaviour difference between LV and OVF setting so for this discussion the camera needs to be in Liveview.
Yes, this is a live view behavior.

Steve

10-18-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
So the problem is only with the 3 DS FA primes without a ring?
EDIT sorry I was thinking full frame here so for lenses without a ring.
The problem is as described in the thread start post. Edit: Will occur even when using aperture ring when applying exposure compensation.

Steve
10-18-2020, 07:29 PM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem is as described in the thread start post.

Steve
Yes and exposure simulation is turned off when actuating the aperture ring in the manual settings. Pity if you don't have an aperture ring.
10-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Edit: Will occur even when using aperture ring when applying exposure compensation.
Aha here is the difference. Why do you use exposure compensation in M mode. Is it for flash calibration?
10-18-2020, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Aha here is the difference. Why do you use exposure compensation in M mode. Is it for flash calibration?
No...it is a corner case and not something I would anticipate in the real world. Otherwise, using the aperture ring defeats exposure simulation for M and X modes

Steve
10-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #12
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah just flicked over to Av and played with the exposure compensation. I can confirm what you say -- exposure simulation = off is incompatible with the Exposure compensation.
10-18-2020, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I asked about this a while ago and the best workaround suggested was to use TAv mode and severely restrict the ISO range. Been using that ever since.
And my response at the time that expands a bit beyond the original post above...

For the understanding of folk who don't use manual flash, flash exposure is done by balancing flash intensity against lens aperture. It is not unusual to shoot at f/11 and 1/60s and if shooting in Live View, the viewfinder becomes very dim as a result. This is a huge issue for those using the rear LCD or a field monitor for flash-illuminated macro or even on-tripod studio work.

Ideally, Pentax should provide the means to disable this feature. I agree with Doundounba that this is a setting that should be very easy to implement in firmware and should be added to the list of bugs, problems, and operational issues being forwarded to Ricoh to be addressed in future firmware revisions.

Steve
10-18-2020, 08:00 PM   #14
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Otherwise, using the aperture ring defeats exposure simulation for M and X modes
And at a glance also for Av etc so long as you keep exposure compensation at zero.
10-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
And at a glance also for Av etc so long as you keep exposure compensation at zero.
Yep, though that is the first case for the original post.

Steve