Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2020, 02:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

28mm Limited for APS-c?

I feel that the current limiteds in the aps-c jump from 21mm to 35mm misses out on the crucial 28mm segment. The 31mm ltd comes close, but given the focus of the new aps-c focus on AF performance, a new limited with new AF motors would be nice

12-19-2020, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, a DA 28/2.0 Limited would be awesome! Then a DA* 33/1.0 for a proper fast "fifty"

But seriously, it ain't happening....
12-19-2020, 02:55 AM - 7 Likes   #3
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There is one already. And it comes with 20 other focal lengths thrown in. HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
12-19-2020, 03:03 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't know why a DA 28mm Limited would be considered crucial for APS-C unless one is wanting to match the frame diagonal. To be honest, I don't know that any additional Limited lenses are crucial. That said, it would be nice to have a compact D FA 28mm/2.8, sort of like in the old days.

Steve

12-19-2020, 03:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Yeah, a DA 28/2.0 Limited would be awesome! Then a DA* 33/1.0 for a proper fast "fifty"

But seriously, it ain't happening....
Pentax would hate to split sales of a 28/2.0 with the 31mm limited to justify it probably... I guess the next best thing to hope for is new AF motors, coatings, and slight tuning of the optical formulas (CAD) on the current FA limiteds. But what I'm looking for is something smaller than the 31mm (68 mm height) to put on a KP as my daily carry. Something like the A series 28/2.0 is only 40mm tall and an aps-c version might be even smaller.

The whole shooting experience would be practically perfect, similar in philosophy to rangefinders high IQ in a small setup but with OVF, and will probably look amazing on a neck strap.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 03:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
There is one already. And it comes with 20 other focal lengths thrown in. HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Good point, but I guess I should have specified my use case. I was hoping for something smaller than the 20-40 since it's a bit too big for my liking. I'm hoping for something really compact to put on a KP. If Pentax really did release a 28mm prime for aps-c, I think i'll instantly buy a KP.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 03:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't know why a DA 28mm Limited would be considered crucial for APS-C unless one is wanting to match the frame diagonal. To be honest, I don't know that any additional Limited lenses are crucial. That said, it would be nice to have a compact D FA 28mm/2.8, sort of like in the old days.

Steve
Exactly this! Compactness so I can bring it around without taking so much space in my backpack or handbag or whatever I'm carrying that day.
12-19-2020, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #6

I find that the more I use my primes the more I use my feet and the less I use my battery or shutter finger.
12-19-2020, 08:42 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's too close to the FA31 in focal length, I fear.

As Des mentions, the DA20-40 fits the bill very nicely. At 28mm it has a maximum aperture of about f/3.5 (if I remember correctly) where it's very sharp in the centre, and by f/5.6 the borders are sharper than the (still excellent) centre Though it's not my favourite lens, I'd be more than happy to use the DA20-40 at this focal length... It's very good indeed in the lower half of its focal length range. Beautiful rendering, too - and, of course, it has silent focusing and weather resistance. I know you'd prefer something smaller, but in the absence of a dedicated prime, the DA20-40 would be almost ideal...

12-19-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

A nice 28mm to 30mm fast prime would be nice on APS-C, especially if it's a Limited. It could be differentiated from the FA 31mm by weather sealing and an in-lens focus motor. If it was f/2 or faster I'd buy it without a doubt.
12-19-2020, 09:27 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’d really be interested in 28/2 Limited for APSC even though I have the 31. The fov of the 21/A28/43 gives a nice separation so I much prefer the A28/2 on the k3 to the 31.
Yes I have the 20-40 and love it but that combines with th DFA100 for me.
Admittedly Ricoh have their own priorities based on resources available so we have to fall back on the many manual options available in the meantime 🙂
12-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A nice 28mm to 30mm fast prime would be nice on APS-C, especially if it's a Limited. It could be differentiated from the FA 31mm by weather sealing and an in-lens focus motor. If it was f/2 or faster I'd buy it without a doubt.
Sigma 30/1.4 Art has beautiful rendering, in-lens focus motor and excellent build quality. The only negatives are that it's not weather resistant, and it's quite big and heavy for an APS-C prime... but, f/1.4
12-19-2020, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sigma 30/1.4 Art has beautiful rendering, in-lens focus motor and excellent build quality. The only negatives are that it's not weather resistant, and it's quite big and heavy for an APS-C prime... but, f/1.4
The biggest negative with that lens is the randomly poor AF performance that lens provides on bodies from different manufacturers. I looked at that lens pretty hard, both in EX DC and Art flavors, and Canon users were complaining about it not acting right inre: AF on their cameras just like Pentax people have been unhappy with it.

I think the AF issues have been fixed in the DC DN version that came after the Art for DSLR's.

I've long complained that there should be something like a 25mm f2.4 or so lens made mostly of plastic for both full frame and APS-C shooters. Basically the same design characteristics of the DA 35 f2.4 but in this next jump wider. It seems like every other camera system offers something like this currently, sometimes limited to APS-C only (Canon's 24mm f2.8 STM pancake prime for instance).

It seems like the best alternatives right now is either used glass from Sigma or Pentax, or else zooms from Pentax, Sigma, or Tamron. "Yay".
12-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

and while that's going on, go ahead and use the 'Limited' label on the D FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR - there's no reason not to...
12-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The biggest negative with that lens is the randomly poor AF performance that lens provides on bodies from different manufacturers. I looked at that lens pretty hard, both in EX DC and Art flavors, and Canon users were complaining about it not acting right inre: AF on their cameras just like Pentax people have been unhappy with it.

I think the AF issues have been fixed in the DC DN version that came after the Art for DSLR's.
I was aware of reported AF problems before I bought mine, but got it at such a great price that I was prepared to live with Live View or manual focusing if all else failed. I use it on my K-3, mostly with the single centre AF point, and it has been reliably consistent. @ChristianRock has the same lens, and I don't believe he's experienced any significant AF issues either. It leads me to wonder if the firmware in later examples was improved...
12-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's really hard to tell what the right combination is with the Sigma 30's and AF bodies. I ended up with the 28mm EX DG instead and that's been mostly good. Sometimes the AF on that lens with my K-5 II isn't accurate and just hunts until it gives up. On my manual film bodies that lens is wonderful.
12-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
It's really hard to tell what the right combination is with the Sigma 30's and AF bodies. I ended up with the 28mm EX DG instead and that's been mostly good. Sometimes the AF on that lens with my K-5 II isn't accurate and just hunts until it gives up. On my manual film bodies that lens is wonderful.
I have considered the Sigma 30 1.4, but it is also too large sadly. For now I'll stick with a film camera and the 43mm