Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 11:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
1) The OP says he is using a K1, not "other current cameras"
2) The OP said the studio lights were the only light source. This renders your objection moot.
I am OP

04-21-2021, 06:48 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
I am OP
Well then, objections noted and dismissed.
If you are in the studio, and studio lights are your only light source, which is what you mentioned in your OP, and you want to use live view, then X will do exactly what you want, and there really is absolutely no reason to do anything else.
Otherwise, use the viewfinder.
It will be interesting to see if the K3III acts as you want it to, as this would then likely port over to a new K1, but I'm not holding my breath. Live view, by definition, works the way it does. Otherwise it would be called something else (Non Live View perhaps)
04-21-2021, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there isn't a compelling reason to not just use the X setting.
Unless one is wanting slow sync to balance ambient light.

Steve
04-21-2021, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Unless one is wanting slow sync to balance ambient light.

Steve
That wasn't specified in the OP. The OP needed a solution to a specific problem, which he now has. Of course, after I gave him his answer, the goal posts started moving.
Having said that, if he is slow syncing to match ambient light, his live view screen is going to be close to correct anyway, so there is, once again, no problem.

04-21-2021, 06:35 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That wasn't specified in the OP. The OP needed a solution to a specific problem, which he now has. Of course, after I gave him his answer, the goal posts started moving.
Having said that, if he is slow syncing to match ambient light, his live view screen is going to be close to correct anyway, so there is, once again, no problem.
I just threw that out there as a corner case and it was an invalid example . To the point of the OPs original case, another solution is to use very bright modeling lights and dim them immediately before doing the exposure.

As for X-mode, the exposure emulation feature works the same in X-mode as in M-mode. When stopped down for DOF, things get dark.

FWIW, this is the product suggestion subforum and this is a feature request thread for which there are multiple use cases where the current behavior is problematic. If I had not encountered this concern in normal shooting nor fielded multiple help requests on the matter, I would not be pressing the point.

Steve
04-22-2021, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Stevebrot is 100% correct with my intentions.
Adding this feature to all current/future Pentax models is a matter of adding one new option in firmware. It almost already exist (one case is: in TaV mode with max auto iso limited to ISO125, or in X mode with shutterspeed locked). The point is to have it possible to set independently in M mode as all all Pentax models have this mode.
This is nothing special as some other brands implemented this years ago.
04-22-2021, 05:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
2. Exposure preview in Live View when in ‘M’ mode. When you use external flash system, and all the light in the final image will be from this lights and you are in manual mode in live view then you can see only black image.
There's a setting to correct that, in the last sections of the menus (C).

3. New macro lens in 50mm range would be nice.
Well there's the DFA 50, but really the 100 macro WR is all you need, that or any of the Irix/Laowa as you mentioned. Laowa offers a superb 60mm:

Venus Optics Laowa 60mm F2.8 2:1 Ultra Macro Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

04-22-2021, 09:06 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
If you can't connect you have this on your screen:
Hi, seems that there isn't connection between the Camera and the Computer.

You have to connect the camera to the computer through the wifi lan, to do this you can check the procedure (where is the password, how you can activate the wireless hot spot, etc..) on the camera manual.
When the camera wifi hotspot is active you can connect as you already do with a normal wireless router or access point.
Be sure to disable "Connect automatically" on your home wifi lan and don't have a connected LAN in the 192.168.0.x IP range.

On the K-1 manual the title of the section is "Using the Camera with a Communication Device"

When you are ready press the "Retry Connection" button.

If you have more problems please write to info@wificommanderpentax.com

The functionalities are almost the same for every camera with wifi builtin. Only the KP, the GRIII and the K-3 Mk III have some upgrades like remote composition adjustments, support to many exposure modes and small file download but in the upcoming version not in the 1.6 that you can download from the site.
After a couple frustrating days and re-reading messages and thinking more deeply, I finally got WiFiCommander to work with my camera and laptop. I just needed to connect my camera to my home LAN. I can be a lot dense sometimes. Thank you for helping me clarify the directions and getting my camera connected.
04-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Well done sir!

"I just needed to connect my camera to my home LAN"

This sound strange...What you have to do is connect your laptop to the camera's wireless LAN, so you first need to enable wireless function on the camera (p.95 of the k-70 manual) and then connect the laptop to this wifi lan.
Tricks to avoid connection problems are: disable "Connect automatically" on your home wifi lan and don't have a connected LAN in the 192.168.0.x IP range

Enjoy!
04-22-2021, 12:16 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
This is new to me and is not in the manuals that I have access to. What is the setting name/menu page and what cameras allow it? (Edit: "it" being turning off exposure emulation for the live view display.)

Steve
04-23-2021, 01:22 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Well there's the DFA 50, but really the 100 macro WR is all you need, that or any of the Irix/Laowa as you mentioned. Laowa offers a superb 60mm:

Venus Optics Laowa 60mm F2.8 2:1 Ultra Macro Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Thank You for Your info. Need to check menu again.
I own Irix 150 and laowa 100. They are great lenses. Using both on FF and APSC gives me a lot of options for product shoots. Sometimes I am limited with space (when the products are a lot bigger than macro) so I am looking for shorter focal length with good corner to corner performance. Fat fifty could be very good choice. Probably it will be my next lens. I need to check the LoCA results first when stopped down to F8 or F11.
04-23-2021, 05:44 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is new to me and is not in the manuals that I have access to. What is the setting name/menu page and what cameras allow it? (Edit: "it" being turning off exposure emulation for the live view display.)
I'd have to dig, I honestly don't remember but I know that with my K-1 ii when using manual mode with flash the preview remains bright, even with manual flash. I haven't played with those settings literally in years.

I've just checked and didn't find a setting for that. :O I'll have to do more testing to fid out about this. I do know the live view display is bright when using flash with the K-1. With the K-3 I believe it's dark however if exposure isn't right. It might be because I use often X-synch?

I own Irix 150 and laowa 100. They are great lenses. Using both on FF and APSC gives me a lot of options for product shoots. Sometimes I am limited with space (when the products are a lot bigger than macro) so I am looking for shorter focal length with good corner to corner performance. Fat fifty could be very good choice. Probably it will be my next lens. I need to check the LoCA results first when stopped down to F8 or F11.
I haven't tested it but I'm sure at F8 it's going to be fine.
04-23-2021, 07:37 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd have to dig, I honestly don't remember but I know that with my K-1 ii when using manual mode with flash the preview remains bright, even with manual flash. I haven't played with those settings literally in years.

I've just checked and didn't find a setting for that. :O I'll have to do more testing to fid out about this. I do know the live view display is bright when using flash with the K-1. With the K-3 I believe it's dark however if exposure isn't right. It might be because I use often X-synch?

I haven't tested it but I'm sure at F8 it's going to be fine.
I did some looking at my K1 last evening, as far as I could see, there is nothing on the K1 that disconnects the screen brightness from the exposure settings other than setting the camera to X. There is, however, a setting that allows the sync speed to be modified between 1/90 second and 1/200 second.

---------- Post added Apr 23rd, 2021 at 08:41 AM ----------

Thank You for Your info. Need to check menu again.
I recall the D FA50/1.4 has very little, if any, LoCa at any aperture. Don't trust the DPReview test, as what they called LoCa was actually an OOF rendering of a green chain link fence.
I do a fair amount of product shooting, and I use focus stacking extensively to secure the required DOF. This lets me use the lens at it's best aperture rather than going down diffusion avenue.
I do modify my technique to the end use. If I know that the end use is going to be a phone screen, say for a throwaway image for Kijiji, I'm not terribly worried if there is a bit of diffusion, as reducing the file to phone screen dimensions will mask it. OTOH, if I know the results will be viewed on a 4K monitor, I make sure everything is as good as I can make it.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 04-23-2021 at 07:44 AM.
04-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'd have to dig, I honestly don't remember but I know that with my K-1 ii when using manual mode with flash the preview remains bright, even with manual flash.
It may that the K-1ii has an undocumented feature when a dedicated flash is mounted to the hot shoe or if voltage is detected across the sync contacts. Let us know what you find.

Steve
04-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I did some looking at my K1 last evening, as far as I could see, there is nothing on the K1 that disconnects the screen brightness from the exposure settings other than setting the camera to X.
Having the exposure emulation drop out when in X mode is something I have not been able to reproduce on the K-3. All I have to do is use the e-dial to set a narrower aperture and the screen darkens. Perhaps it is a K-1 special behavior?

FWIW...A sure way to turn exposure emulation off is to use the aperture ring to set aperture. For that case, the camera will use auto-gain to maintain screen brightness even in dim light.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-23-2021 at 10:13 AM.