Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
FWIW...A sure way to turn exposure emulation off is to use the aperture ring to set aperture. For that case, the camera will use auto-gain to maintain screen brightness even in dim light.

Steve
That might be useful to the OP, since he appears to be dead set against using the X setting in the studio for some reason.

04-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That might be useful to the OP, since he appears to be dead set against using the X setting in the studio for some reason.
I use X mode for 90% of my studio shots when using K-1 and I have nothing against it. This is Your interpretation/imagination. However I cannot use X mode on K-70 or KP. Instead I use TaV mode ‘hack’ with max ISO set to ISO 125 when shooting in Live View. My post is about adding simple menu feature that solves this problem on every current Pentax camera and could be implemented in firmware update without problem.
04-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
However I cannot use X mode on K-70 or KP.
...One of the reasons why I have never considered the KP as a replacement for my K-3. Sorry for the off-topic comment.

Steve
04-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

I use X mode for 90% of my studio shots when using K-1 and I have nothing against it. This is Your interpretation/imagination. However I cannot use X mode on K-70 or KP. Instead I use TaV mode ‘hack’ with max ISO set to ISO 125 when shooting in Live View. My post is about adding simple menu feature that solves this problem on every current Pentax camera and could be implemented in firmware update without problem.
Fair enough. I can't imagine why one would use a K70 or KP in the studio if one has a K1 available, but that's just me. both my K3 and entire Fuji kit was put aside entirely after I got my K1. I couldn't justify using either one when the drop in image quality was so substantial.

My understanding of adding things in firmware is that it is often not quite as simple as can be "implemented in firmware update without problem", but then, I don't write software for cameras, I just occasionally talk to people who do.

Consider that if it's that easy to do, there must be a reason why they didn't. For example, the corporate philosophy might be that if you want to shoot in the studio they want to steer you towards a K1 rather than one of the lesser cameras, in which case your want runs up against corporate design policy and you are domed to be frustrated.
I recall a friend of mine who shot Canon complaining about similar things when he was buying their cameras.

04-24-2021, 02:44 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Fair enough. I can't imagine why one would use a K70 or KP in the studio if one has a K1 available, but that's just me. both my K3 and entire Fuji kit was put aside entirely after I got my K1. I couldn't justify using either one when the drop in image quality was so substantial.

My understanding of adding things in firmware is that it is often not quite as simple as can be "implemented in firmware update without problem", but then, I don't write software for cameras, I just occasionally talk to people who do.

Consider that if it's that easy to do, there must be a reason why they didn't. For example, the corporate philosophy might be that if you want to shoot in the studio they want to steer you towards a K1 rather than one of the lesser cameras, in which case your want runs up against corporate design policy and you are domed to be frustrated.
I recall a friend of mine who shot Canon complaining about similar things when he was buying their cameras.
About using APS-C cameras when owning K-1. Sometimes when I shoot quite small objects around 10mm I prefer to have 24MP on APSC than 15 on FF (I have Laowa 100mm macro and Irix 150macro). The other case is when I want to have more space for lightning setup between my lens and the small tricky subject - mostly jewellery (longer Macro lens would be nice to have). This will be addressed with new 60MP FF body (my reasonable expectation).
This thread is however about camera menu feature that is already implemented in Pentax bodies (in X mode or TaV mode with to low max ISO you have exposure preview disabled). I am just simply asking for an option to turn it on/off for M mode. It would give us more control for some scenarios. I think this feature was simply overlooked. If there was only a way to tell that to RICOH. Maybe I will try through some ambassadors.
04-24-2021, 05:19 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I did some looking at my K1 last evening, as far as I could see, there is nothing on the K1 that disconnects the screen brightness from the exposure settings other than setting the camera to X. There is, however, a setting that allows the sync speed to be modified between 1/90 second and 1/200 second.
I've probably been using X synch all those years. In fact when I'm in the studio I switch to a user mode that I programmed so my manual speedlights would be sell set as a starting point. That's probably what happened.

It may that the K-1ii has an undocumented feature when a dedicated flash is mounted to the hot shoe or if voltage is detected across the sync contacts. Let us know what you find.
See above.
04-25-2021, 07:21 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
See above.
...and your K-3?

Steve

04-26-2021, 04:40 AM   #38
Pentaxian

...and your K-3?
I'll have to get back to you on this.

I had not confirmed, but can do so, that X-synch does preserve the exposure on-screen.
12-15-2021, 03:06 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 11GTCS Quote
Concur with the issues for macro flash in manual. Many other cameras (I can confirm specifically Olympus and Fuji) let you disable exposure preview in live view. Just doing that would go a long way to solving these problems and would (as far as I can imagine) be about the easiest feature to add in a firmware update imaginable.
It took Fuji until the second generation of cameras to include this feature. It was even worse than Pentax's implementation, because Exposure Preview was stuck "on" in the EVF view, leaving you no way to see thew subject!

---------- Post added 12-15-21 at 03:29 PM ----------

More choices are better. People work with the cameras they have, and they experiment with subject matter. I wouldn't spend too much time judging whether another photographer needs what he wants here. Others have said it, and I'll say it: Exposure Preview is an extra added feature that some users like, but it can get in the way. In the studio, as told, or in the field.

I photograph real estate with a K-1. Often I'm faced with a big picture window with a view that's attractive. The interior will be lit by bounced flashes. I'll need max SS to tame the outdoor view, in bright sunlight. The result, with HDR or other PP work, will look great. But on the screen, before the exposure is made, the rear screen will show me nothing but the window, surrounded by shadows. Yes, there are workarounds, but I'd rather not fight the camera's defaults over something that could be so easily fixed. Somewhere in the firmware, there's a switch that enables Exposure Preview. All they need to add is an "off" button- something tech types, being so proud of their latest tweak, often forget to add.
12-16-2021, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

To set the focus You have to set shutter time to match it with the ambient light so you can see the subject, than you set shutter time to the one you need for external strobes and you take a photo. This procedure is so painful
Have you tried to do a DoF preview in M - LV mode? When you do a depth of field preview, the camera adjusting to display brightness so that you can check focus and depth of field.

---------- Post added 16-12-21 at 19:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by brainwave Quote
+1 for flash preview, I think it can be done with existing firmware (its simply a test shot, albeit more automated) and really would help to check for exposure.
I think it's already done, but not written in user manual: try DoF preview.
12-16-2021, 02:38 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
It took Fuji until the second generation of cameras to include this feature. It was even worse than Pentax's implementation, because Exposure Preview was stuck "on" in the EVF view, leaving you no way to see thew subject!

---------- Post added 12-15-21 at 03:29 PM ----------

More choices are better. People work with the cameras they have, and they experiment with subject matter. I wouldn't spend too much time judging whether another photographer needs what he wants here. Others have said it, and I'll say it: Exposure Preview is an extra added feature that some users like, but it can get in the way. In the studio, as told, or in the field.

I photograph real estate with a K-1. Often I'm faced with a big picture window with a view that's attractive. The interior will be lit by bounced flashes. I'll need max SS to tame the outdoor view, in bright sunlight. The result, with HDR or other PP work, will look great. But on the screen, before the exposure is made, the rear screen will show me nothing but the window, surrounded by shadows. Yes, there are workarounds, but I'd rather not fight the camera's defaults over something that could be so easily fixed. Somewhere in the firmware, there's a switch that enables Exposure Preview. All they need to add is an "off" button- something tech types, being so proud of their latest tweak, often forget to add.
What you seem to be saying is that making the sensor sensitivity variable from pixel to pixel is just a mere bagatelle.
One part of the sensor at ISO100, another part at ISO 400 , maybe another at ISO3200, all at the same time.
I don't know if anyone is doing that, but if they are, then that is the brand you should be using rather than wasting your efforts with a brand that doesn't meet your needs.
12-16-2021, 02:41 PM   #42
Pentaxian

i've used dof preview in lv and you get a brighter screen for sure, but a pain to use in practice. shouldn't have to fiddle with it, should just work.

they definitely need an internal focusing wr 50-65mm macro, but not holding my breath.