Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2021, 05:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax system for studio work. (Turn off exposure preview in LV option)

With great image quality Pentax cameras can be used for studio - product photography with great results. We have support of third party studio lights manufacturers, also great manual macro lenses - Laowa and Irix. K-1 is very solid camera for this type of shooting. Now as there was a rumor about 61MP sensor for the next FF camera I am starting to save my pennies. There are also some holes in the picture:
1. Good tethering tool for Lightroom. There is a plugin but it doesn’t have Live View and You cannot control Your camera settings from the plugin. I expect that this two things could be easily solved by Ricoh.
2. Exposure preview in Live View when in ‘M’ mode. When you use external flash system, and all the light in the final image will be from this lights and you are in manual mode in live view then you can see only black image. To set the focus You have to set shutter time to match it with the ambient light so you can see the subject, than you set shutter time to the one you need for external strobes and you take a photo. This procedure is so painful - horrendous when focus stacking. This one really could be fixed with almost no effort In the firmware. Just add option to turn off exposure preview in Live View.
3. New macro lens in 50mm range would be nice.

04-18-2021, 06:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

1: check my signature
04-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Pentax system for studio work. (Turn off exposure preview in LV option)
1+ ...and add macro to the use cases. This "feature" is problematic for users of flash in multiple scenarios and for those needing to exercise fine (manual) focus for tasks such as focus stacking along with exposure compensation.

Steve
04-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
1: check my signature
I have tried your solution in the past year few times. Would be great if the camera had faster wifi adapter and the connection went through local network (not direct connection from pc to camera because you loose internet connection). But I really like your software and it is great to have it. I can promise that I will use it more and maybe I will have few ideas how to ‘improve’ its functionality. Ricoh should hire you.

04-19-2021, 09:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With great image quality Pentax cameras can be used for studio - product photography with great results. We have support of third party studio lights manufacturers, also great manual macro lenses - Laowa and Irix. K-1 is very solid camera for this type of shooting. Now as there was a rumor about 61MP sensor for the next FF camera I am starting to save my pennies. There are also some holes in the picture:
1. Good tethering tool for Lightroom. There is a plugin but it doesn’t have Live View and You cannot control Your camera settings from the plugin. I expect that this two things could be easily solved by Ricoh.
2. Exposure preview in Live View when in ‘M’ mode. When you use external flash system, and all the light in the final image will be from this lights and you are in manual mode in live view then you can see only black image. To set the focus You have to set shutter time to match it with the ambient light so you can see the subject, than you set shutter time to the one you need for external strobes and you take a photo. This procedure is so painful - horrendous when focus stacking. This one really could be fixed with almost no effort In the firmware. Just add option to turn off exposure preview in Live View.
3. New macro lens in 50mm range would be nice.
I would like to have available a computer program which would allow connection of all Pentax cameras for tethered photography.

Tomas Kos had developed PK Tether which was freeware and worked with several of the now discontinued Pentax models, but not with the current ones. I understand that Tomas stopped working on any upgrades and additional progress on his program due to time and financial constraints.

Another application, PKTriggercord, has shown some compatibility with several Pentax cameral models but has limited applicability to a few of the currently available models. Ricoh-Pentax could and should develop such a program for tethering currently produced models to laptop computers or even tablets. From previous experience, I know it facilitates studio photography immensely by providing more appropriate and quicker review of results, much better than the camera's review screen. It should also save the data to the memory card and the computer.
04-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Concur with the issues for macro flash in manual. Many other cameras (I can confirm specifically Olympus and Fuji) let you disable exposure preview in live view. Just doing that would go a long way to solving these problems and would (as far as I can imagine) be about the easiest feature to add in a firmware update imaginable.
04-19-2021, 01:49 PM   #7

+1 for flash preview, I think it can be done with existing firmware (its simply a test shot, albeit more automated) and really would help to check for exposure.
04-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
The Lightroom plugin that uses Image Transmitter 2 should be able to do this (because Image Transmitter 2 can do this).

04-20-2021, 06:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have tried your solution in the past year few times. Would be great if the camera had faster wifi adapter and the connection went through local network (not direct connection from pc to camera because you loose internet connection). But I really like your software and it is great to have it. I can promise that I will use it more and maybe I will have few ideas how to ‘improve’ its functionality. Ricoh should hire you.
Thanks... It is a big effort to expand compatibility to all new cameras by having only the K-1 then RICOH could at least lend new models to me to do some "impressions" and test them with my app to implement new features...

---------- Post added 20-04-21 at 15:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I would like to have available a computer program which would allow connection of all Pentax cameras for tethered photography.

Tomas Kos had developed PK Tether which was freeware and worked with several of the now discontinued Pentax models, but not with the current ones. I understand that Tomas stopped working on any upgrades and additional progress on his program due to time and financial constraints.

Another application, PKTriggercord, has shown some compatibility with several Pentax cameral models but has limited applicability to a few of the currently available models. Ricoh-Pentax could and should develop such a program for tethering currently produced models to laptop computers or even tablets. From previous experience, I know it facilitates studio photography immensely by providing more appropriate and quicker review of results, much better than the camera's review screen. It should also save the data to the memory card and the computer.
PENTAX cameras without internal WIFI use a very old technology that is not compatibile with the latest implementations.

What you describe exists! It's here Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera not from RICOH but from me!
04-20-2021, 07:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks... It is a big effort to expand compatibility to all new cameras by having only the K-1 then RICOH could at least lend new models to me to do some "impressions" and test them with my app to implement new features...

---------- Post added 20-04-21 at 15:55 ----------

PENTAX cameras without internal WIFI use a very old technology that is not compatibile with the latest implementations.

What you describe exists! It's here Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera not from RICOH but from me!
I downloaded WiFiCommander and cannot get my K70 to connect with it. The fact that there is no guide for the program/app makes it bit more difficult to connect. The video that is available also is not much help as it is slightly blurred, has only music for background and no narration to explain or guide. The real kicker is that the video is geared for the K1, nothing else, it need to be more generic if it is for all Pentax cameras.
04-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

If you can't connect you have this on your screen:
Hi, seems that there isn't connection between the Camera and the Computer.

You have to connect the camera to the computer through the wifi lan, to do this you can check the procedure (where is the password, how you can activate the wireless hot spot, etc..) on the camera manual.
When the camera wifi hotspot is active you can connect as you already do with a normal wireless router or access point.
Be sure to disable "Connect automatically" on your home wifi lan and don't have a connected LAN in the 192.168.0.x IP range.

On the K-1 manual the title of the section is "Using the Camera with a Communication Device"

When you are ready press the "Retry Connection" button.

If you have more problems please write to info@wificommanderpentax.com

The functionalities are almost the same for every camera with wifi builtin. Only the KP, the GRIII and the K-3 Mk III have some upgrades like remote composition adjustments, support to many exposure modes and small file download but in the upcoming version not in the 1.6 that you can download from the site.
04-20-2021, 12:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can't connect you have this on your screen:
Hi, seems that there isn't connection between the Camera and the Computer.

You have to connect the camera to the computer through the wifi lan, to do this you can check the procedure (where is the password, how you can activate the wireless hot spot, etc..) on the camera manual.
When the camera wifi hotspot is active you can connect as you already do with a normal wireless router or access point.
Be sure to disable "Connect automatically" on your home wifi lan and don't have a connected LAN in the 192.168.0.x IP range.

On the K-1 manual the title of the section is "Using the Camera with a Communication Device"

When you are ready press the "Retry Connection" button.

If you have more problems please write to info@wificommanderpentax.com

The functionalities are almost the same for every camera with wifi builtin. Only the KP, the GRIII and the K-3 Mk III have some upgrades like remote composition adjustments, support to many exposure modes and small file download but in the upcoming version not in the 1.6 that you can download from the site.
I'll give that a try to see what I can do. That will occur later this evening as I must take care of a family related matter at this time.
04-20-2021, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Rather than using manual mode, set the dial to X. The screen then does what you want it to do. If, as you say, "all the light in the final image will be from this (the studio) lights, there isn't a compelling reason to not just use the X setting.
04-20-2021, 09:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Rather than using manual mode, set the dial to X. The screen then does what you want it to do. If, as you say, "all the light in the final image will be from this (the studio) lights, there isn't a compelling reason to not just use the X setting.
The problem’s:
1. X mode exist on my K-1, but not on other current cameras. (There is a walk around with TaV mode and iso 125 for k-70 or kp).
2. X mode forces highest sync speed and it is sometimes limiting.

So RICOH just make a proper solution it is only a firmware thing. If not for current models than for the future ones.
04-20-2021, 10:53 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The problem’s:
1. X mode exist on my K-1, but not on other current cameras. (There is a walk around with TaV mode and iso 125 for k-70 or kp).
2. X mode forces highest sync speed and it is sometimes limiting.

So RICOH just make a proper solution it is only a firmware thing. If not for current models than for the future ones.
1) The OP says he is using a K1, not "other current cameras"
2) The OP said the studio lights were the only light source. This renders your objection moot.