Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
RAW option for WG compact cameras

I know these cameras are primarily marketed to outdoorsy adventurous people who snap JPEGs.

I did pick one up for my daughter and I was actually quite impressed with what these cameras have to offer.
They could be a great companion camera for Pentax DSLR shooters except for one major flaw - No RAW option.

It seems like a minor software change (maybe even firmware) to add this.
Please consider it Ricoh.

04-25-2021, 05:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
It seems like a minor software change (maybe even firmware) to add this.
Yes, a firmware update should allow the capture of a RAW file too. However, most compact cameras don't offer the option, so I'm not optimistic Ricoh will implement it either (even if available on the GR series). I did once have a Konica Minolta G600 compact camera that could be made to save a RAW file by entering a specific sequence of button presses. I believe it was intended as a factory debug tool, and reverted back to the normal JPEG mode after the one shot.
04-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The JPEG noise reduction is pretty heavy handed and not configurable (at least in the model I have).

That's the main reason that RAW would be nice.

That said if the JPEGs were at the same level as the Q camera's then it would be acceptable.