Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2021, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think it could be really cool, however I'd want it to be FF. Shooting everything with a 1.5x crop gets annoying, especially if you wanted to use vintage glass along with the vintage stylings of the camera.

07-15-2021, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I think it could be really cool, however I'd want it to be FF. Shooting everything with a 1.5x crop gets annoying, especially if you wanted to use vintage glass along with the vintage stylings of the camera.
Totally agree. For crop there's Fuji
07-15-2021, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #18
5ks
Pentaxian

I prefer the better ergomics of modern DSLRs over the nostalgy. Pentax bodies K200D, K-5, K-3 and K-1 all sit very nicely in my hand.
07-17-2021, 11:44 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
9 times out of 10 I know where I am when taking a picture.
I had a good little chuckle from reading that most the time you know where you are when you are taking a photo. I'm glad old age hasn't crept up on you and taken away that ability of your mind, yet [(!)]

07-17-2021, 12:28 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Minimalist ff Yes!
Retro No!

If Pentax would put their mind towards a more manual simple camera I'm sure they would come up with something great. Aiming for retro however I think is a mistake. The controls may well be fuji like but it doesn't have to be overly retro styled. Pentax design language is very good IMHO.
07-17-2021, 12:46 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I absolutely loved old cameras in their day - anything pre-AF/integral autowind, but I think that Pentax are right to tip their hat to their history rather than try to relive it (though I wouldn't mind them re-living their sales figures from that time )
07-18-2021, 03:16 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Minimalist ff Yes!
Retro No!

If Pentax would put their mind towards a more manual simple camera I'm sure they would come up with something great. Aiming for retro however I think is a mistake. The controls may well be fuji like but it doesn't have to be overly retro styled. Pentax design language is very good IMHO.
Amen, Going full retro is digging up the bones of the horse and beating it again . IMHO LX was the epitome of simplicity, functionality and compactness. Gimme an LX + a Wide aperture prime and I'm a happy puppy

07-18-2021, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would like to see something like this that has a K mount. Especially a non-crippled K mount.

07-19-2021, 12:59 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Having shot and own Spotmatics, K1000, MX, SF1n, MZ5n and MZ7. I think only cameras like the MZ5n would be a suitable model for a retro digital camera. Digital cameras are too heavy to not have a handle and the SF models were too ugly.

But I definitely would not be in the market for a retro digital camera. I still shoot film and I use my Hasselblad more often than my K5IIs plus have MX and Rolleichord if I want something that looks old.

If Pentax was to produce one they should be like the Fuji X100 in not letting the retro looks be in the way of being a good camera to use.
07-22-2021, 05:31 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
If retro would mean doing away with video from my stills camera I'm in. I'm a newcomer to the digital age of photography although I bought my first SLR in 1978. Have owned 4 Pentax DSLR's and not once have I used the video. Not even just too see what it's like.
Video is a cost-free feature; already supported by the sensor, there's some implementation effort but then it prevents the camera to appeal only the tiny small niche that absolutely don't want "unnecessary" features.

Retro is a matter of styling, not functionality. You will not get a 1978 film DSLR no matter what.
I think Pentax is doing retro right, by using styling detail reminding us of various cameras of the past - rather than crippling, rather than ruining the interface.
07-22-2021, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Seems to me the fuji interface with those A settings on the dials is a functional interpretation but the Nikon solution seems primarily retro in terms of look.

The new Zeiss camera is absolutely not retro design but still use simple dials. The zeiss seems a bit trapped by the minimalism but if Pentax did its interpretation I think it could be great.

Last edited by house; 07-22-2021 at 07:27 AM.
07-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Video is a cost-free feature...
Regardless. Personally have never used it. Don't want it. Don't need it. I realize it's there to stay. Don't care. But if Pentax came out with a camera body that didn't have it I'd probably buy it. Apparently Pentax doesn't care much about video either. I've heard they're kind of lagging behind other makers in that respect. Kudos to Pentax.
07-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 4 or 5 film cameras. Pentax 645, Me, Program plus, and waterproof Pentax film camera, the designation of which I can't remember. They seem very fiddly these days. I used to be a be able to read light without a meter, the meter was just for checking to see if I was right. Those kinds of skills are long gone.
07-22-2021, 07:46 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not likely, but I think it would be very cool. Plenty of nice looking vintage pentax designs, just take one of those, stick a FF sensor in it)
07-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've come to realize, that the kp looks fairly retro.....