Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2021, 04:14 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Closed Account

Who else would like to see a retro Pentax camera ?

With the likes of Fujifilm, Leica, Olympus, and now even Nikon, all doing fairly well with their releases of retro cameras, who else would love to see a retro looking Pentax DSLR ?
Perhaps in the realm of the price of the kp or k-70

Regards,

Michael

07-14-2021, 01:17 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
YES ! an LX please. Make it the LX-3K Limited with a HD 50mm F1 Limited (same execution as the current HD limited, with wider aperture) . I dont shoot brick-walls so gimme Bokeh goodness. I'll probably have to exchange this kit for my kidney, but would be worth it
07-14-2021, 01:22 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A retro-designed Pentax would be more of a challenge, considering all the technology that has to fit in there. But yes, I would love to see one. IMHO only Fuji has managed to get a style out of their history. I must say though I'm one of those weirdos that like the 80's - 90's aesthetics. I have a Canon T-70 and love the looks of the P30T.....
07-14-2021, 02:20 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I find current set up with three control wheels and buttons perfect for today's style of shooting. Very simple to change settings quickly on the fly and the added benefit of having TAv mode is really sweet.

07-14-2021, 07:28 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Personally, I find current set up with three control wheels and buttons perfect for today's style of shooting. Very simple to change settings quickly on the fly and the added benefit of having TAv mode is really sweet.
I still find, after a couple of decades shooting with the melted blob style of DSLR, that the controls are a bit opaque. I like the Fuji implementation, with an aperture ring on the lens and shutter speed dial on the body. TAv mode in a retro control style body could be implemented by putting an auto function on the ISO dial.
07-14-2021, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If retro would mean doing away with video from my stills camera I'm in. I'm a newcomer to the digital age of photography although I bought my first SLR in 1978. Have owned 4 Pentax DSLR's and not once have I used the video. Not even just too see what it's like.
07-14-2021, 08:19 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I'd love a camera with no lcd, a good matte viewfinder screen, a wind lever (see Epson R-D1), and buttons for nothing except exposure parameters, metering, and AF settings. Kind of a hobby camera with no claim of practicality I'm wondering how well are selling less extreme designs like Fuji Xpro3. Maybe these types of even more niche cameras are only possible for Leica-type costs.

07-14-2021, 10:21 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
With the likes of Fujifilm, Leica, Olympus, and now even Nikon, all doing fairly well with their releases of retro cameras, who else would love to see a retro looking Pentax DSLR ?
Perhaps in the realm of the price of the kp or k-70

Regards,

Michael
I would. In the meantime my silver KP is retro enough, and has better photo specs than the Zfc
07-15-2021, 12:37 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
If retro would mean doing away with video from my stills camera I'm in. I'm a newcomer to the digital age of photography although I bought my first SLR in 1978. Have owned 4 Pentax DSLR's and not once have I used the video. Not even just too see what it's like.
Amen ! Call me an ol fool, I'm haven't faffed with video yet . Gimme a LX with a digital back and I'm in.
07-15-2021, 02:45 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think video is a side effect of having fast frame rates. If you have fast frame rates and a live view capable camera then you can have video, even if the camera maker chooses not to enable it.
07-15-2021, 05:39 AM - 6 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We probably need to differentiate between "would like to see ..." and "would be willing to buy ...". While there may be quite a few people who find the idea interesting I'm afraid that only few of these would be willing to buy at the end.
07-15-2021, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
Amen ! Call me an ol fool, I'm haven't faffed with video yet . Gimme a LX with a digital back and I'm in.
You're an ol fool. Welcome to the club.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think video is a side effect of having fast frame rates. If you have fast frame rates and a live view capable camera then you can have video, even if the camera maker chooses not to enable it.
Not the majority view but I just personally have no need for video. The fact the my DSLR's have the ability to shoot video doesn't bother me. But if I was interested in shooting video I'd probably go look for a camera dedicated to it. Old farts like me are going the way of the DoDo anyway so our opinions probably don't count for much. At 63 I'm not really in the demographic manufacturers are trying to please. I also have absolutely no need for GPS either. 9 times out of 10 I know where I am when taking a picture.
07-15-2021, 07:04 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A LX-D will be great.
07-15-2021, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're an ol fool. Welcome to the club.

Not the majority view but I just personally have no need for video. The fact the my DSLR's have the ability to shoot video doesn't bother me. But if I was interested in shooting video I'd probably go look for a camera dedicated to it. Old farts like me are going the way of the DoDo anyway so our opinions probably don't count for much. At 63 I'm not really in the demographic manufacturers are trying to please. I also have absolutely no need for GPS either. 9 times out of 10 I know where I am when taking a picture.
I don't really need a lot of features on my cameras, but it helps to have a tool that checks most of the boxes when selling it in today's marketplace.

A digital K1000 is a nice concept that I've heard floated, but the reality is that most people wouldn't really want the limitations of such a camera.
07-15-2021, 07:37 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
We probably need to differentiate between "would like to see ..." and "would be willing to buy ...". While there may be quite a few people who find the idea interesting I'm afraid that only few of these would be willing to buy at the end.
^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

How many of these dreamers would be willing to actually plonk real money down on their dream camera that is, in reality, a three legged gazelle?