Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2021, 09:24 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I would like to see something like this that has a K mount. Especially a non-crippled K mount.
Physics would demand a big old mirror box regardless of whether it was filled by a mirror for K lenses. But it could still work!

07-22-2021, 11:56 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paraphrasing Jeremy Clarkson, "Some say... some say that all Pentax cameras are retro.

---------- Post added 07-23-21 at 01:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
With the likes of Fujifilm, Leica, Olympus, and now even Nikon, all doing fairly well with their releases of retro cameras, who else would love to see a retro looking Pentax DSLR ?
Perhaps in the realm of the price of the kp or k-70

Regards,

Michael
No retro for me, thanks. When I look at the new retro Nikon, I think of my old Nikon FM. Not so fondly, either. It was cold and hard to grip, heavy, but small. The viewfinder was small and dark, compared to my incomparable F3 Highpoint. I don't want to go back to those old designs. The current Pentax cameras fit my hand so well, and offer such flexible controls. Now is better than then.
07-23-2021, 12:32 AM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

With the likes of Fujifilm, Leica, Olympus, and now even Nikon, all doing fairly well with their releases of retro cameras, who else would love to see a retro looking Pentax DSLR ?

Regards,

Michael
I used to be a really big fan of this idea, but looking back at other entries in this space (such as the MX-1 or Nikon Df) and the way technologies goes, I don't think it would make any sense for Pentax because:
  • to begin with, this is a niche of a niche market
  • at the end of the day, users care about the hardware. A cool-looking design will not make up for lackluster specs or a noticeable price premium
  • once the hardware is obsolete, the camera will lose its appeal and value for most users
  • there are plenty of very cheap, iconic Pentax film camera on the second-hand market. Why waste resources on competing with yourself?
I will say that the new Nikon Z fc looks like an interesting offering, but at $250 more than the Z50 and no OFC to please the old school crowd, I question its prospects.

All that said, I believe there are still opportunities for Pentax in this space, namely by incorporating retro-inspired design language / Pentax heritage into modern camera bodies, similar to what Fuji and Leica already do, and taking things a step further than what was done with the Pentax KP. But it's got to be elegant and functional rather than something along the lines of the K-01.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-23-2021, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would like to see something like this that has a K mount
Enlighten me, what is that camera?

I've come to realize, that the kp looks fairly retro.....
Soon, when all the others are mirrorless, all Pentax cameras will look retro

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
I also have absolutely no need for GPS either. 9 times out of 10 I know where I am when taking a picture.
I always assumed that GPS was for the benefit of people taking photos in the the less featureful areas of the Sahara desert. Perhaps I'm strange, or perhaps it is because the UK is so small, but I could tell you the location of every picture I ever took by looking at it.

07-23-2021, 04:46 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Enlighten me, what is that camera?
It is a Fujifilm XT4.
07-23-2021, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Personally, I find current set up with three control wheels and buttons perfect for today's style of shooting. Very simple to change settings quickly on the fly and the added benefit of having TAv mode is really sweet.

For the majority of my shooting I'm with you all the way!
Being able to change all the relevant settings with either my right thumb or forefinger, with the camera to my eye and my left hand supporting and zooming my long lens, is a habit I'd struggle to break
07-24-2021, 04:58 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I always assumed that GPS was for the benefit of people taking photos in the the less featureful areas of the Sahara desert. Perhaps I'm strange, or perhaps it is because the UK is so small, but I could tell you the location of every picture I ever took by looking at it.
That is astonishing! I shoot a lot of images for stock agencies and having the precise location available later makes it much easier to properly keyword. I do travel a lot though so remembering where I shot each would be impossible for me. I won't be buying a K-3III because of the lack of GPS.

As far as a retro camera goes, I think it is a cool idea especially for a collectible shelf queen. But for a day to day user camera, I wouldn't be interested. I don't much care what the camera looks like, I do care what the results look like.

07-24-2021, 11:58 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Minimalist ff Yes!
Retro No!

Pentax design language is very good IMHO.
This was my first thought when I read the original post.

Pentax's bodies are already somewhat retro in feel. As one of the only companies bothering with mirrored DSLRs, I suppose that camera bodies will contine to feel "retro", "vintage" or "classic" no matter the actual formal design.

I would, however, like to see Pentax offer a higher-quality silver/chrome finish on their newest models. I've never really felt that their silver bodies for DSLRs quite match the feel of their silver 35mm bodies...
07-25-2021, 04:50 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That is astonishing! I shoot a lot of images for stock agencies and having the precise location available later makes it much easier to properly keyword. I do travel a lot though so remembering where I shot each would be impossible for me. I won't be buying a K-3III because of the lack of GPS.
That's serious deficiency for me as well. I won't carry an extra module. And being able to record location is at times essential.
07-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's serious deficiency for me as well. I won't carry an extra module. And being able to record location is at times essential.
Yep, no GPS = no buy from me. And, no I'm not going to fool about with an extra external module. I perfectly understand that many have no use for GPS, and that is fine. But for my use case not having it would significantly increase my workload and decrease the quality of it. Why would I buy a tool that makes me work harder and do poorer work? So no K-3III for me. In fact GPS is so important that should the K-1III not have GPS I would likely have to switch systems. Not happily but I really wouldn't have much choice.
07-25-2021, 04:13 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If It was retro only in looks, I’d pass.

If they did a retro looking but had some long wanted features then I might gon in.

For me, full frame, TTL and PTTL flash, aperture coupling for vintage lenses, are a must. If it’s going to look the part, it should play the part too
07-26-2021, 04:17 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to see something like this that has a K mount. Especially a non-crippled K mount.
Maybe with a little deeper grip, but I get the point.
11-04-2021, 04:59 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Regards,

Michael
I love shooting with my LX or KX, but my KP is exactly retro enough for a modern camera
11-09-2021, 06:59 PM   #44
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Having the option of 1, 1/2 or 1/3 steps is hard to reproduce in retro, my head hurts thinking of it. For Pentax retro let's just go with Takumar-style knurly mode dials!
11-11-2021, 12:54 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Seems to me the fuji interface with those A settings on the dials is a functional interpretation but the Nikon solution seems primarily retro in terms of look.

The new Zeiss camera is absolutely not retro design but still use simple dials. The zeiss seems a bit trapped by the minimalism but if Pentax did its interpretation I think it could be great.
If it were to be a light and small body (for traveling light) but full functional K-mount:

Retro in looks only if "form follows function"!

Retro as "minimal features" just the real important features, similar as Sigma did it with their DSLR bodies
but no display but really good OVF similar to the K3III.
I'd be happy with APS-C but of course FF would be interesting.

If my eyes would still be as they were, I would even be interested in a DSLR with split-image focusing-screen and no AF.

But I guess hardly a market for such a minimal design?