Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2021, 05:29 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
, if it does what the K1 does (I can compromise on tilt display and a few others) with a better sensor and a faster memory write speeds, that would be my K1 upgrade candidate.
Hmm... it has to do what the K-1 does, it has to have a better sensor and improved performance. Your K-1 upgrade candidate is the upcoming K-1iii.

If you said you're willing to pay much more for much less, now that would have been the "digital LX".

11-26-2021, 06:03 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hmm... it has to do what the K-1 does, it has to have a better sensor and improved performance. Your K-1 upgrade candidate is the upcoming K-1iii.

If you said you're willing to pay much more for much less, now that would have been the "digital LX".
I really have no idea what drives the price of a new dslr model. My guess is what they expect they can sell it for. In many areas manufacturing cost and materials is irrelevant to price.

It would be really interesting to know if any less critical features are cost driving. My guess is that ergonomics and ui is quite expensive. reducing number of dials and buttons probably keeps cost down. Besides the obvious sensor and battery.
11-26-2021, 06:19 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

I did say, I can compromise on other features, did'nt I ? - I dont care for video (K1 does), the display articulation can be compromised (K1 does), happy to give up the propreitoty battery for 26650/26800 without onboard charging, one SD card writer is enough (K1 has 2, slow ones) for me as long as it can write pixel-shift files fast enough. Would be happy with a smaller screen (compared to K1). These are the top level compromises that I can manage if the form-factor nears LX.

if this makes economic sense for Ricoh is a different question altogether though .
11-26-2021, 07:03 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
I did say, I can compromise on other features, did'nt I ? - I dont care for video (K1 does), the display articulation can be compromised (K1 does), happy to give up the propreitoty battery for 26650/26800 without onboard charging, one SD card writer is enough (K1 has 2, slow ones) for me as long as it can write pixel-shift files fast enough. Would be happy with a smaller screen (compared to K1). These are the top level compromises that I can manage if the form-factor nears LX.
You did say that. How much more you'd be willing to pay for removal of video?
Take a look at the Nikon Df - which was a D600-level camera with retro touches and no video. And it costed as much as a D800.
Then, if we're talking about a digital LX, does it means removing the AF, too? That would probably get you to Leica prices. Not that anyone would pay that.
Simplifying the camera won't work.

I actually have a solution in mind, although not that of a retro camera but an evolution - and simplification - of the DSLR. Remove the dedicated AF module, and the metering system in the pentaprism. Replace the dual mirror system with a single semi-transparent one. AF and metering done directly on the sensor, with the mirror either up or down. Taking pictures with the mirror either up or down. Ricoh Imaging has a patent about that.
There are probably a lot of technological hurdles to solve (e.g. preventing light to reach the sensor during exposure). And I still don't see how they could get down to the LX form-factor.
Or that people won't start putting battery grips to compensate for the lower height

11-26-2021, 08:17 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Take a look at the Nikon Df - which was a D600-level camera with retro touches and no video.
The sensor was from the D4 wasn't it? That was an interesting camera, I guess it made them try the Z fc they have the same rather strange 'analogue' control system don't they. Or did they change something?

I just cannot believe the lenses they produced for the Df and Zfc. The most fake looking retro you could imagine. No effort made!
11-26-2021, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I just cannot believe the lenses they produced for the Df and Zfc. The most fake looking retro you could imagine. No effort made!
IMO the only one doing real retro is Leica. And only with the M rangefinders.
11-27-2021, 02:17 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Agree, and some of those LF folks.

11-27-2021, 11:06 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

True, although the SLR format is essentially a "retro" technology - how hard would it be to create a truly retro body?
11-28-2021, 12:01 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
True, although the SLR format is essentially a "retro" technology - how hard would it be to create a truly retro body?
Impossible, if you're talking about "fit all DSLR stuff into a mechanical SLR form factor". There simply isn't room for it.
11-28-2021, 02:28 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Impossible, if you're talking about "fit all DSLR stuff into a mechanical SLR form factor". There simply isn't room for it.
The question is what would you have to let go of to get there. So not "all DSLR stuff" but some. They even have a proposal to ditch AF, if that's considered anything should be considered.
11-29-2021, 12:13 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sure there is, but get rid of: lots of buttons (use dedicated dials and some clean buttons like Leica does), even the LCD (who cares, I want the experience I have shooting film). And, you don't have to go with a tiny MX for your "retro" body, pick a later model that got things mostly right.
11-29-2021, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

A retro Pentax would be nice, but I would prefer to see Pentax in the same market they used to be in. That is mostly about being a value for money alternative to the likes of Canon and Nikon. I don't need/want a Pentax equivalent of the EOS4000D (yuk!) but a $2000 APS-C DSLR is a little rich for my blood. The same goes for DSLRs with old tech sensors and dodgy aperture solenoids.
11-29-2021, 01:42 PM   #73

LX... and MZ-S. I love both and would buy digital versions.
12-01-2021, 12:33 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apas Quote
LX... and MZ-S. I love both and would buy digital versions.
Yes I agree a digital in these version fully manual would be the sweet spot
12-21-2021, 11:21 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to see reissues of the Pentax 67II, LX and MZ-S