Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2021, 02:07 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just order the damn thing from a Pentax retailer. I don't see what your fussing about.

---------- Post added 09-09-21 at 10:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
The point of this being that if the DA*50-135mm is still being sold in the EU (presumable imported by Ricoh Europe from Japan and distributed to official retailers and via their own webshop) there should not be a reason not to have the hood available for purchase as well locally. But that point has already been made so I won't belabor it further.
The point being that Pentax retailers all over the world have them on back-order. You have to get in the queue

09-09-2021, 03:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen it on backorder and available in U.S. locations. Obviously the product has not left the market, but as has been said, it may not be available everywhere at this time. The product may not be being generated on a regular basis due to factories not in full operation or not fully supplied. As far as ordering it from a dealer, you could either wait till it is in stock, or just place the order and wait until more are made available to the seller.
09-09-2021, 08:28 PM   #18

It's probably one of the items that Ricoh only does a production run every now and then. Like the K-mount M42 adapter. This item is frequently backordered, shows up and quickly goes out of stock again. It seems to be in stock more often than several years ago probably mainly due to the price increases.
09-09-2021, 09:04 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It sure seems that "finding" the hood is not the problem; but, rules/regulations/duties and of thus cost is the real problem.

09-10-2021, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Not sure you read my OP - the lens is doing perfectly fine. Just trying to purchase a plastic accessory for it. To use your laptop example: the laptop battery is fine but the charge cord is broken - simple charge cord & power plug but cannot get it anywhere.
Yes, I understand and feel how you feel. I read your post, third party hood aren't the perfect fit, as you said no control of a polar filter, and also it uses the lens thread prevent to screw in a filter on top.

BUT ( now you are letting go of hanger against Pentax and shifting the mindset to think in terms of finding a solution... cutting corners a bit):

- we don't use filters often on a 70-200 equivalent lens (I use filters on my 28-105 and 24-70, seldom on 70-200, assuming the same is the case for you)
- a third party hood could make a solution for 12 euros giving you plenty of time to order an OEM hood
- this relax the time for ordering and shipping, an original 50-135 hood
- and feel good again after you put your lens back like original

In 2017 I ordered grip rubber set for my K1. Initially, Ricoh-Pentax Europe said they don't have such grip rubber for sales as spare part in stock (yes.. for 2 years old camera model, no grip rubber in stock). I contacted Pentax official repair center in Germany and they said they don't have K1 grip rubber set in stock either. I said "Ok, would you be able to contact Ricoh for ordering the parts and send me a quote?", they said "Yes, we can try to do this". They've called Ricoh Japan directly, asked for my delivery address, and Ricoh Japan sent me directly, not one but two complete sets of K1 grip rubbers with a paper indicating how to repair with each part numbered, Ricoh Japan shipped the package immediately by air delivered in front of my door after custom clearance. I wouldn't label this as bad support. Instead of putting energy into complaining, I put the energy in the phone calls to find a solution.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-10-2021 at 01:54 AM.
09-10-2021, 02:52 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
In 2017 I ordered grip rubber set for my K1. Initially, Ricoh-Pentax Europe said they don't have such grip rubber for sales as spare part in stock (yes.. for 2 years old camera model, no grip rubber in stock). I contacted Pentax official repair center in Germany and they said they don't have K1 grip rubber set in stock either. I said "Ok, would you be able to contact Ricoh for ordering the parts and send me a quote?", they said "Yes, we can try to do this". They've called Ricoh Japan directly, asked for my delivery address, and Ricoh Japan sent me directly, not one but two complete sets of K1 grip rubbers with a paper indicating how to repair with each part numbered, Ricoh Japan shipped the package immediately by air delivered in front of my door after custom clearance. I wouldn't label this as bad support. Instead of putting energy into complaining, I put the energy in the phone calls to find a solution.
Very helpful info. Would you still have that contact info in Germany for me? Thanks in advance.
09-10-2021, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Would you still have that contact info in Germany for me?
Official Pentax repair center. https://www.ricoh-imaging.eu/eu_en/camera-info/service-repair/

09-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adorama has it in stock...

https://www.adorama.com/pxlhrbk67.html?

Steve
09-10-2021, 12:20 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have found one link. It is in UK and and there is need to wait till hood will be back in stock but price is good, and they accepts international orders. I think it make sense to try:

https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Pentax-Lenshood-PH-RBK-67mm-For-Pentax--60-...gn=pricerunner
09-11-2021, 01:36 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all who replied in this thread. I have received a great number of useful suggestions which I am pursuing and I'm sure my beloved 50-135 will not be without a hood much longer and I can go on enjoying it for 10 more years!
09-11-2021, 02:33 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a spare hood since one of my 50-135's and K3 got smashed recently thanks to a cheap sling strap carabiner breaking (), but having just checked it, the hood probably is just as loose as yours. In the past I have cured the problem by applying a small bead of cyanoacrylate (super glue) to the edge of the latch fingers. Just apply it to the mating face and let it dry and go hard and it effectively builds up surface to make up for the material that has worn away.

09-11-2021, 05:59 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
I have a spare hood since one of my 50-135's and K3 got smashed recently thanks to a cheap sling strap carabiner breaking (), but having just checked it, the hood probably is just as loose as yours. In the past I have cured the problem by applying a small bead of cyanoacrylate (super glue) to the edge of the latch fingers. Just apply it to the mating face and let it dry and go hard and it effectively builds up surface to make up for the material that has worn away.
Good way to tighten up the fit; also, I have "re-built" an entire finger/latch from black epoxy- takes some patience but can be done for next to no $$.
09-11-2021, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's why I love the DA*50-135mm so much. A bit of a typical Dutch autumn day with lots of intermittent sunshine between some totally overcast moments. I spotted these sheep while walking my Old English Sheepdog (what's in a name) this afternoon. The sheep didn't mind me but although we were at distance, the sight of my fluffy companion made them pay attention. This one caught my eye as he was looking at us so intensely from afar. Regretfully I still had the CPL on the lens from shooting blue skies just an hour before.

Even with CPL, focus lock was instant and with f5.6 the dof and bokeh turned out very pleasing. What jumps out at me every time I pick up this lens though is the almost 3D feel of the result. PEF converted with DarkTable and slightly cropped for composition in Gimp. (click for a larger version on my own photo gallery). This is why this lens has been a favorite ever since I purchased it for use on my K20D back in 2010.

09-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I picked up a new hood from Ricoh-Imaging.eu a few years ago to fix my loose example, only helped a little.
Bigger point here I think you all are missing is that there are no replacement hoods, so that means a new DA*50-135 is coming