Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2021, 10:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lack of support by Pentax

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

First of all: I'm a long-time user of Pentax DSLRs and even owned a K1000 35 years ago. I've gone through lots of bodies from the K110D through to my current KP and loved them all to bits. But now Ricoh Europe has let me down so badly that I am finally considering other options. My DA*50-135 has seen constant use for the last 10 years. Never a scratch as I use the hood - ALWAYS. So plastic hoods have bayonet ribs which wear down with use, no biggie you'd say "buy a new one". Well, it seems the only way to get a new hood for the 50-135 is to buy a new...lens!!!

The PH-RBK 67 is on order everywhere I looked, in the EU, UK, even in the bloody US! So I wrote to the Ricoh-EU official support website. This was the answer:
"Unfortunately we do not have a PH-RBK 67 on offer."

That's it, end of support. I'm dumbfounded. Anyone any ideas? Yes I can get aftermarket 67mm thread hoods but they don't allow pola- or other filter use and almost none of them have the right depth and petal shape to prevent vignetting.

09-09-2021, 10:27 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
So plastic hoods have bayonet ribs which wear down with use, no biggie you'd say "buy a new one".
Maybe not pretty, but I just stuck a bit of (black) duct tape over each rib when the hood for my 18-55 wore down and wouldn't stay attached. It then kept attaching and stayed put until I sold it.

I think part of the problem is continuously taking hoods on and off, hence I mostly leave them in the 'in use' position as much as possible.
09-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Maybe not pretty, but I just stuck a bit of (black) duct tape over each rib when the hood for my 18-55 wore down and wouldn't stay attached. It then kept attaching and stayed put until I sold it.
Seems like a viable solution. I was thinking of carefully-applied dots of epoxy (e.g., JB Weld PlasticWeld).

The PH-RBK 67 is on order everywhere I looked, in the EU, UK,
Would eBay be a source, e.g., sellers in Japan?

Alternatively, have any of the commercial firms indicated when they expect to receive stock? It might be a case of ordering one and having to wait for a while.

FYI, the 50-135 and 60-250 use the same hood, Pentax part number 38754.

I agree, it's unfortunate that the hood is not readily available. However, the method suggested by @bertwert seems like a practical solution in the meantime.

- Craig
09-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First of all: I'm a long-time user of Pentax DSLRs and even owned a K1000 35 years ago. I've gone through lots of bodies from the K110D through to my current KP and loved them all to bits. But now Ricoh Europe has let me down so badly that I am finally considering other options. My DA*50-135 has seen constant use for the last 10 years. Never a scratch as I use the hood - ALWAYS. So plastic hoods have bayonet ribs which wear down with use, no biggie you'd say "buy a new one". Well, it seems the only way to get a new hood for the 50-135 is to buy a new...lens!!!

The PH-RBK 67 is on order everywhere I looked, in the EU, UK, even in the bloody US! So I wrote to the Ricoh-EU official support website. This was the answer:

That's it, end of support. I'm dumbfounded. Anyone any ideas? Yes I can get aftermarket 67mm thread hoods but they don't allow pola- or other filter use and almost none of them have the right depth and petal shape to prevent vignetting.
For what it's worth, just searched and see 3 for sale on eBay US, if you search for "pentax ph-rbk 67". They appear quite expensive, ship from Japan but they are the original Pentax part number 38754

09-09-2021, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

My DA*50-135 has seen constant use for the last 10 years.
The battery of my 12 years old Sony laptop is dead, and no way to find a replacement part. I bought a new DELL notebook and I didn't complain about Sony lack of support.
Normally, for consumer electronics, the official accounting depreciation is over five or six years not more, which means, your 50-135 already exceeded its officially expected service time, not bad.

---------- Post added 09-09-21 at 20:32 ----------

This was the answer:"Unfortunately we do not have a PH-RBK 67 on offer."
Well, have you searched in amazon for standard screw-on hoods, using 67mm filter thread to attach the hood?

https://www.amazon.de/Ares-Foto-Sonnenblende-Gegenlichtblende-Streulichtblen...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.de/Fotover-Gegenlichtblende-Streulichtblende-Objektivdeck...1212431&sr=8-5

Cost ~12 euros.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-09-2021 at 11:35 AM.
09-09-2021, 11:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, it seems the only way to get a new hood for the 50-135 is to buy a new...lens!!!
Contact your nearest Pentax dealer and order one. In the Uk they sell for between £17-20

Yes you will have to wait, as most folk do at the moment for many products, due to a thing called Covid.

i think your complaint against Pentax is unfounded. Were you expecting them to make one just for you and ship it ?

Last edited by pschlute; 09-09-2021 at 12:17 PM.
09-09-2021, 12:10 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
it shows in stock at BHphoto. Not sure about shipping to UK

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ph-rbk67&N=0&Ini...rch=yes&sts=ma

09-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Contact your nearest Pentax dealer and order one. In the Uk they sell for between £17-20
The original post says: "The PH-RBK 67 is on order everywhere I looked, in the EU, UK, even in the bloody US! So I wrote to the Ricoh-EU official support website. This was the answer:
09-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all who have responded! And yes, if the SDM would have failed, the front element cracked, the mount torn out, focus motor failed, fungus etc. I would have taken my licks and moved on with a new one - would have probably bough the very same 50-135mm again, it's thàt good! But it is only the plastic lenshood, should be no reason to junk a lens in this day and age of environmental worries - little part breaks, throw the whole thing out?

Currently using the same solution Bertwert suggested with tiny slivers of black double-sided tape in the "canals" - work like a charm but bagging or storing the lens and changing filters becomes a bit cumbersome. It'll do for now though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gene D Quote
For what it's worth, just searched and see 3 for sale on eBay US, if you search for "pentax ph-rbk 67". They appear quite expensive, ship from Japan but they are the original Pentax part number 38754
Yep, saw those as well but with the new eCommerce customs regulations in the EU they will run up import costs like crazy if packages get through at all (Customs regulations are part of my job so I know the burn...)

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The battery of my 12 years old Sony laptop is dead, and no way to find a replacement part. I bought a new DELL notebook and I didn't complain about Sony lack of support.
Normally, for consumer electronics, the official accounting depreciation is over five or six years not more, which means, your 50-135 already exceeded its officially expected service time, not bad.
Not sure you read my OP - the lens is doing perfectly fine. Just trying to purchase a plastic accessory for it. To use your laptop example: the laptop battery is fine but the charge cord is broken - simple charge cord & power plug but cannot get it anywhere.

Yep, read my OP where it says: "I can get aftermarket 67mm thread hoods but they don't allow pola- or other filter use and almost none of them have the right depth and petal shape to prevent vignetting."?

One of your links doesn't have the right depth for a telezoom and the other won't allow filters. Bro, I research before posting and complaining and I read EVERYTHING!

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

Yes you will have to wait, as most folk do at the moment for many products, due to a thing called Covid.

i think your complaint against Pentax is unfounded. Were you expecting them to make one just for you and ship it ?
I contacted 3 different national dealers as well as Pentax Ricoh's own customer service in Europe. What makes you think I didn't? I was expecting to tell me that they'll have one for me in x weeks if I just have some patience - not just say "NO" like they did.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kwong Quote
Again, eCommerce shipping into the EU is a b!tch since July 1st and B&H does not have the required EU IOSS/VAT registration yet.
09-09-2021, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
This is true for your computer, but as long as the 50-135mm is still available, and your computer probably is not, the lens is for sale in Ricoh's webshop, but also at dealers, and sometimes even as a kit with the KP, spare parts must be obtainable. Even more so as it is a shared accessory with the 60-250, which is also still available. But if you browse Ricoh's webshop, you will notice that most items are out of stock, even in the refurbished department, which raises ????.
09-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kwong Quote

They ship around the globe. For sure to UK. Obviously that would be not free.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/International.jsp?
09-09-2021, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this seems like a good project for a 3d printer. No idea where you would get a print file for it, though.
09-09-2021, 01:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
They ship around the globe. For sure to UK. Obviously that would be not free.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/International.jsp?
I don't really care about the UK as it's non-EU now and I'm in NL. Ecommerce packages into the EU have been subjected to new rules since July 1st and while most international webshops have already registered for VAT under the EU's IOSS scheme (like Aliexpress, Wish and many others) B&H and Adorama have not. This would make import extremely costly. The example of B&H would be $64 + ca. $20 (depending on shipping choice) + 6.5% duty +21% VAT + €15 import admin fee. Roughly that works out to €106 or $125 by the time it hits my mailbox. Other option may be letting B&H handle duty & taxes and turns out slightly cheaper at $104.

If I'd be left with no other option, I may still weigh the option but I've received some very helpful suggestions which I will pursue first. The point of this being that if the DA*50-135mm is still being sold in the EU (presumable imported by Ricoh Europe from Japan and distributed to official retailers and via their own webshop) there should not be a reason not to have the hood available for purchase as well locally. But that point has already been made so I won't belabor it further.
09-09-2021, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

FocusNordic shows it instock

Pentax Lens Hood PH-RBK 67mm - ProductPage