Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2022, 02:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How about replacing the failed solenoid ?
White solenoids are still available on the secondary market and "do it yourself" .

02-22-2022, 02:27 PM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there is this multi page " how to " thread

QuoteQuote:
Manual: Solenoid replacement: Pentax K-S1
Posted By: photogem, 06-13-19,
Solenoid-Replacement Pentax K-S1 . . .
Manual: Solenoid replacement: Pentax K-S1 - PentaxForums.com
02-23-2022, 12:24 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's so much good information above, I can hardly add to the facts already presented. However, a bit of personal experience may help.

I've always used the "traditional" Pentax cameras from K200D to K30 and on through K5 & K3. When the KP came out, I couldn't decide if I liked or disliked the different design. I was so much concerned that, not being able to put my hands on one before buying it, I was so hesitant to buy one that I put it off, even through the nice sale type offers when it was being closed out.

Well, fast-forward to now: I recently had the chance to buy a used KP at a good price. I've simply been amazed (maybe I shouldn't have been?) at how easily I adapted to it. For whatever reasons, the KP feels "just right" in my hands (with the large grip). The controls are a natural (for me) to figure out. It's "very Pentax" despite looking a bit different. I even find the shutter release to be a natural position, maybe tied to film photography days.

My conclusion is that, personally, I'd prefer a lightly used KP to a new K70.

There were a couple on Adorama a few days ago. I see someone has bought the more expensive one. The remaining is an E- condition, with box, battery, and charger for $589.

https://www.adorama.com/us1506892.html?
02-23-2022, 09:40 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

I fixed my K-S1 because it's a great little camera that is relatively light for what it is and, more importantly, the files (pictures) I get from it are phenomenal. I got a solenoid on eBay and was able to put it in, but I realize not everyone would be able to do this. I have experience from lots of solder work on guitars. For those who don't want to or can't fix their camera, I'd say you would be hard pressed to find a better alternative for the money compared to a used KP. If money is no problem, then the K-3 III of course would be the latest and greatest.

04-15-2022, 05:18 PM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Soggy75 Quote
It looks like my ks1 has succumbed to the aperture block failure(not something I was aware of until my recent problems and subsequent research)
Much that I could get it fixed I'm tempted by an upgrade instead.
I'd want a similar 'style' of camera...compact and lightweight with good IQ and relatively easy to use(most of my photography is whilst travelling/hiking)
I'm considering the k70 or kp
The k70 is considerably cheaper.
Do either of these cameras suffer from the ongoing aperture block failure issues.
Where should I put my money?

For info..the lenses I use are;
Tamron f2.8 17-50
Pentax 35mm f2.4 prime
Pentax 55-200 kit lens

Thanks
These days a good KP and a new K-70 are about the same price. IMO the KP is a better camera that a K-70 any way you want to measure it, and you’d likely need to get to a new K3 iii (at a K3 iii price) to beat it.
For me it’s an easy choice, but that’s why my daily driver is a KP 😊
04-19-2022, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #21
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
There's so much good information above, I can hardly add to the facts already presented. However, a bit of personal experience may help.

I've always used the "traditional" Pentax cameras from K200D to K30 and on through K5 & K3. When the KP came out, I couldn't decide if I liked or disliked the different design. I was so much concerned that, not being able to put my hands on one before buying it, I was so hesitant to buy one that I put it off, even through the nice sale type offers when it was being closed out.

Well, fast-forward to now: I recently had the chance to buy a used KP at a good price. I've simply been amazed (maybe I shouldn't have been?) at how easily I adapted to it. For whatever reasons, the KP feels "just right" in my hands (with the large grip). The controls are a natural (for me) to figure out. It's "very Pentax" despite looking a bit different. I even find the shutter release to be a natural position, maybe tied to film photography days.

My conclusion is that, personally, I'd prefer a lightly used KP to a new K70.

There were a couple on Adorama a few days ago. I see someone has bought the more expensive one. The remaining is an E- condition, with box, battery, and charger for $589.
Before the K-3iii came out, people complained about the KP - “the battery is too small”, “the buffer is too small”, “no top LCD”, etc…. but once they saw that the K-3iii lacks a flippy LCD, their opinions seem to change. I purchased one Black Friday 2018. It hasn’t changed any. I’m surprised that so many people value a feature I’ve used once in three years, but those are the facts.

Last edited by reh321; 04-23-2022 at 03:17 AM.
04-19-2022, 07:02 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
These days a good KP and a new K-70 are about the same price. IMO the KP is a better camera that a K-70 any way you want to measure it, and you’d likely need to get to a new K3 iii (at a K3 iii price) to beat it.
For me it’s an easy choice, but that’s why my daily driver is a KP 😊
++1 for a KP. I tried the K-70, and couldn't get past how "breakable" that flippy screen seemed. The K-70 small, but is built like a small tank. The 3 grip sizes means that you can "size" the body to fit your hand.

04-20-2022, 07:38 AM   #23

I think KP is the best option for you !
04-26-2022, 11:26 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I purchased a K3 in 2015, and a KP in 2018. Both saw considerable use by me until the purchase of a K1 ii in October 2021. Between the times of purchase and October 2021, I have had to clean the sensor on the K3 once and the KP twice. Not a big or difficult job, but it tells me the KP is not as well constructed as some might think. That being said the KP has been my daily driver too since its purchase. I like the ergos more than the K70, which was a candidate before buying the KP. I like being able to attach a battery grip if required and I like that it is more discreet and compact with the small and medium grips yet still provides a nice feel. My hands are just too big to grip the K70 comfortably, but with the position of the shutter release on the top plate, the KP despite its relatively compact size is nice in my hand. Never had a problem with the KP's battery life. It seems better to me than the K3, but both are good enough for a days shooting in my experience if you go out with a fully charged one to start with and cut the chimping down. Personally, I would want a battery grip equipped K3 over either the K70 or KP despite both having better high ISO IQ, tilty screens (I very rarely use the tilt function) and in the case of the KP better AF and SR, but that is because I consider the ergos on the K3 to be perfect (for my hands) and the flash capability greater, but my head says the best choice for most people would be a KP. If I could track one down, a K5ii or iis would also be on my list of choices.
04-26-2022, 11:50 PM - 4 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I purchased a K3 in 2015, and a KP in 2018. Both saw considerable use by me until the purchase of a K1 ii in October 2021. Between the times of purchase and October 2021, I have had to clean the sensor on the K3 once and the KP twice. Not a big or difficult job, but it tells me the KP is not as well constructed as some might think.
I can't comment on the construction of the KP, as I've only briefly played with one at a photography show a few years ago. It seemed pretty solid to me, but that was only my fleeting experience. That aside, the need to clean a sensor on an interchangeable lens camera shouldn't, IMHO, be an indicator of build quality. Whenever a lens is swapped out, focused, or the focal length changed on a non-internally-zooming model, dust and debris can get into the camera. I've had to clean the sensor on my K-3, K-5, *istDL, Samsung GX-10 and GX-1L, my Sony A7 MkII and Hasselblad HV. I don't believe this to be a build quality issue on any of them...
05-02-2022, 12:16 PM   #26
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I purchased a K3 in 2015, and a KP in 2018. Both saw considerable use by me until the purchase of a K1 ii in October 2021. Between the times of purchase and October 2021, I have had to clean the sensor on the K3 once and the KP twice. Not a big or difficult job, but it tells me the KP is not as well constructed as some might think.
Were you using the camera’s ability to clean its own sensor???
I have found that the KP does a much better job than the K-30 did.
The problem with “being built well” is weight.
Frankly, I would rather have a K-mount camera without the weight of a metal chassis.
05-02-2022, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Were you using the camera’s ability to clean its own sensor???
I have found that the KP does a much better job than the K-30 did.
The problem with “being built well” is weight.
Frankly, I would rather have a K-mount camera without the weight of a metal chassis.
Frequency of cleaning the sensor will also depend a LOT on where, when and how often you swap lenses. If you swap a lot, are outside in the wind or in dusty environments, that’ll count against you!
05-03-2022, 04:49 AM   #28
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
++1 for a KP. I tried the K-70, and couldn't get past how "breakable" that flippy screen seemed. The K-70 small, but is built like a small tank. The 3 grip sizes means that you can "size" the body to fit your hand.
Both true “flippy” and articulated screens have been around over ten years, and the manufacturers have had plenty of time to perfect the designs.