Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2022, 08:54 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the flip-screen on my KP at least a few times per week. It’s the one feature that’s prevented me from jumping to the K3 iii. They keep making the new camera better with firmware changes, but I can’t get past the screen thing. Without that I’d need to carry 2 bodies, and I guarantee the lens I need would generally be on the wrong body …

Maybe a “K3 iiia” model with a flip or articulated screen (NOT the K70 screen please) would be an easy fix for this? - exactly the same as the current model but with a KP screen (or even K1 screen if that’s easier, but that seems like overkill) ? Or add more features or a new sensor at the same time, we’re all good with that!

You’d think swapping the screen would be an easy retrofit, but the whole body needs to be disassembled to do this I think … if it were a bit easier I’d give it a shot myself

---------- Post added 12-25-22 at 09:02 AM ----------

PS - for the amount I use my camera, I’d definitely pay for the feature. Those who are saying everyone wants everything for free are off the mark, looking at both Pentax and other cameras, people will definitely pay for features. The trick is to get the most needed features on the one body that you plan to sell the most volume of - each product has to make a profit, but you want a few higher volume products that “float the boat”

Pentax does seem to have more features at any given price than competitors (mirrorless and mirrorless related features aside), but nothing is free

12-25-2022, 09:16 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
I use the flip-screen on my KP at least a few times per week. It’s the one feature that’s prevented me from jumping to the K3 iii. They keep making the new camera better with firmware changes, but I can’t get past the screen thing. Without that I’d need to carry 2 bodies, and I guarantee the lens I need would generally be on the wrong body …

Maybe a “K3 iiia” model with a flip or articulated screen (NOT the K70 screen please) would be an easy fix for this? - exactly the same as the current model but with a KP screen (or even K1 screen if that’s easier, but that seems like overkill) ? Or add more features or a new sensor at the same time, we’re all good with that!

You’d think swapping the screen would be an easy retrofit, but the whole body needs to be disassembled to do this I think … if it were a bit easier I’d give it a shot myself

---------- Post added 12-25-22 at 09:02 AM ----------

PS - for the amount I use my camera, I’d definitely pay for the feature. Those who are saying everyone wants everything for free are off the mark, looking at both Pentax and other cameras, people will definitely pay for features. The trick is to get the most needed features on the one body that you plan to sell the most volume of - each product has to make a profit, but you want a few higher volume products that “float the boat”

Pentax does seem to have more features at any given price than competitors (mirrorless and mirrorless related features aside), but nothing is free
For that "flippy screen" function I bought a hotshoe mount phone holder and link up the Pentax Image Sync app. It works well in the tests I did, but I've never yet HAD to use it. For the types of photography I do the flip screen isn't needed. I do have a K70 and K1 as well where that feature has gone unused too other than perhaps a half dozen times in the past 5 years.

When I bought the K3III I knew it didn't have a flip-screen, and I also knew I didn't use the ones on the cameras that had 'em. Now if I only had one camera I might prefer to have it even if I never thought I'd use it, but I have more than one As it is I always carry two cameras anyway, and one of them is sure to have it.

I doubt there will be any K3 with a flip screen. I'm also just as convinced a new K1III will. have one. It's expected for the 2 model lines.
03-15-2023, 06:12 AM   #48

Is there eye detection in Pentax AF and fast enough ? Why other manufacturers are capable to do it, but not Pentax?
I think it is better to forget Pentax and go to expl. sony now!
03-15-2023, 07:39 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Harri Holopainen Quote
Is there eye detection in Pentax AF and fast enough ?
Yes, and yes.
Are some mirrorless, particularly the newer ones, better for that one specific feature? Absolutely! Does Pentax offer features and ergonomics not available on those cameras? Again the answer is absolutely. That's particularly true of my K3III.

The fixation on "eye focus" as the deciding factor in a purchase is an oddity IMO. In many instances, there are no eyes you want to focus on anyway.

Always consider the type of photographer you are, what your intended use cases will be, and your budget pain point. A DSLR may be the better camera for you.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-15-2023 at 08:41 AM.
03-15-2023, 08:13 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What guy above said. I mean if you buy camera to focus on eyes of kids running around is it not better to just use phone? Ok, for portreture or maybe some wildlife but if you photograph buildings or airplanes* why is Eye AF so important?

* I wonder though how eye AF would work on P-40 with shark-painting