Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2022, 06:25 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Editable Menu. Something where one can remove features - not phyiscally, just turn off and/or make them go dark - and allow one to rearrange and condense menu screens. For example, I almost never shoot .jpg's and have no need to see all the menu items related to only .jpg's.

05-08-2022, 07:00 PM - 13 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The ability to record all in-camera settings, user modes, and custom functions to a file that can be saved to SD card and read by other Pentax cameras that allows them to be set up (features permitting) the same way.
05-09-2022, 03:45 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The ability to record all in-camera settings, user modes, and custom functions to a file that can be saved to SD card and read by other Pentax cameras that allows them to be set up (features permitting) the same way.
Oh, that's a very worthy idea!
05-09-2022, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Pentax should stop making a PDF and a paper version of the user manual and create an online version only.
I strongly disagree with that.

You not only want to stop paper versions but you even want to stop a PDF version. At least PDF versions are both printable and viewable on-line; web pages OTOH do not generally print well. Even so, I spent hours having to print out the on-line version of my sat-nav PDF to put into a ring binder. The cost of a paper manual is trivial compared with that of a ICL camera, and with the value of my time.

FWIW, what Microsoft and Apple do is no recommendation to me, I loathe both of their houses. They are at the forefront of dumbing down and of taking ownership and control away from their customers.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 05-09-2022 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Format
05-09-2022, 07:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
FWIW, what Microsoft and Apple do is no recommendation to me, I loathe both of their houses. They are at the forefront of dumbing down and of taking ownership and control away from their customers.
Exactly, kudo's to Adobe for dumbing things up. Personally I could do w/o the printed version, but being able to have a pdf version locally has been a bacon saver for me several times with different products where internet access was limited or non existent, and I sure don't want to have it in Word.
05-09-2022, 08:52 AM - 4 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Oh, that's a very worthy idea!
I have owned quite a few cameras in my time, some of them from the same manufacturer and model line: With every new camera I end up spending up to an hour getting every function set just the way I want it. I'd rather be out using the damn camera!
05-09-2022, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I strongly disagree with that.
You not only want to stop paper versions but you even want to stop a PDF version. At least PDF versions are both printable and viewable on-line; web pages OTOH do not generally print well. Even so, I spent hours having to print out the on-line version of my sat-nav PDF to put into a ring binder. The cost of a paper manual is trivial compared with that of a ICL camera, and with the value of my time...
That reminds me of a story happening to me in the 1980's when my PC was an Olivetti M24 and the e-mail emerged. I sent a document to a person as attach, and the next day I got a thank you, and the question "can I keep this document or do you want it back?"

05-09-2022, 11:49 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok I am probably going catch some flak for this, but I am posting it anyway. What I would like to have is the ability to use 1/3 AND 1/2 stops SIMULTANEOUSLY. By which I mean if I was going from f5.6 to f8 the progression would look like this:
f5.6 f6.3 f6.7 f7.1 f8. I know, I know it is too much or not enough of a difference between each stop, but I have never been able to wrap my head around 1/3 stops only which is why I always set up my camera to 1/2 stops. If I have 1/2 stops, I don’t miss 1/3 stops, but if I use the 1/3 stop setting, I always want that 1/2 stop in there and it bugs me! So there, that’s my “dirty little secret”!!’
05-09-2022, 02:42 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eles Quote
This is my "top of the list" missing feature on digital cameras.
Ditto.

Edit: the quote is referring to the split prism wish.
05-11-2022, 09:02 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
That reminds me of a story happening to me in the 1980's when my PC was an Olivetti M24 ...

Haha! I had one of those ... quite advanced for it's day … I was also one of the local official Olivetti-trained PC warranty repair engineers

Back on thread … I'd like to have EVERY feature ever included on a Pentax DSLR all in one camera so I can choose what I want to use without having to carry two cameras, not what someone else deems fashionable!
TTL and P-TTL flash like on the *istD, all the in-camera digital effects and filters ever released … someone's already mentioned being able to write the camera configuration to SD card … and a bright red LED in the viewfinder for when my battery is about to run out. I don't need "green for good", or even "yellow/orange for getting low", but a "change your battery now, mate" would be really useful
05-11-2022, 10:49 AM   #26
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Back on thread … I'd like to have EVERY feature ever included on a Pentax DSLR all in one camera so I can choose what I want to use without having to carry two cameras, not what someone else deems fashionable!
TTL and P-TTL flash like on the *istD, all the in-camera digital effects and filters ever released … someone's already mentioned being able to write the camera configuration to SD card … and a bright red LED in the viewfinder for when my battery is about to run out. I don't need "green for good", or even "yellow/orange for getting low", but a "change your battery now, mate" would be really useful
A re-released Pentax K1000 or KM would probably be stretching my justifiable budget, assuming build quality was anything close to the original - so I dread to imagine the retail price of a camera with all the features you mention Assuming the unnecessary digital imaging sensor is replaced on a like-for-like cost basis with the additional electro-mechanicals required for the film transport, it would end up being at least as expensive as the K-1II, and probably more. Despite a resurgance in film photography, it's still a niche compared to digital... and those within that niche who could afford or at least justify $2k for a film camera - plus the expense of film, developing and printing (or home-developing / scanning / printing equipment and paraphernalia) - must be a pretty small minority...

Still, it's a cool idea
05-11-2022, 02:03 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

I'd like to have a cameras with a negative digital sensor (I think it's possible), e.g clipping the blacks and having plenty of room for highlights, e.g. continuous gradation of colors for sunsets.
05-11-2022, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A re-released Pentax K1000 or KM would probably be stretching my justifiable budget, assuming build quality was anything close to the original - so I dread to imagine the retail price of a camera with all the features you mention Assuming the unnecessary digital imaging sensor is replaced on a like-for-like cost basis with the additional electro-mechanicals required for the film transport, it would end up being at least as expensive as the K-1II, and probably more. Despite a resurgance in film photography, it's still a niche compared to digital... and those within that niche who could afford or at least justify $2k for a film camera - plus the expense of film, developing and printing (or home-developing / scanning / printing equipment and paraphernalia) - must be a pretty small minority...Still, it's a cool idea
Perhaps confusing this thread (we're in the The "Things I'd like to have on any digital camera" thread) with the most recent thread on new 35mm film cameras?
05-11-2022, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
Perhaps confusing this thread (we're in the The "Things I'd like to have on any digital camera" thread) with the most recent thread on new 35mm film cameras?
You're absolutely right... I did Well spotted, and thank you for pointing it out. I'll get back under my rock now
05-11-2022, 11:06 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
It's a thread for somewhat off-beat suggestions. Let's keep it to one idea per post, to keep the thread going but also so that multiple ideas don't get buried in a post.
What's the purpose of the thread? Is that a survey being done by Ricoh in order to decide what to incorporate in the next Pentax camera model being developed?