Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2022, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What's the purpose of the thread? Is that a survey being done by Ricoh in order to decide what to incorporate in the next Pentax camera model being developed?
I assume (as I think most people here would) it's just a fun discussion topic that provides a bit of insight to what folks feel is missing from their cameras... but who knows if Ricoh is watching? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't... either way, the discussion certainly can't harm

An official survey by Ricoh would likely be conducted by Ricoh itself or a contracted third party, and announced as such...

05-12-2022, 12:56 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I assume (as I think most people here would) it's just a fun discussion topic that provides a bit of insight to what folks feel is missing from their cameras
When you ask customers to think about their pain points, without a new product that address those pain points, all you do is making it easier for competitors acquire your customers.
---------- Post added 12-05-22 at 10:05 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
What I would like to have is the ability to use 1/3 AND 1/2 stops SIMULTANEOUSLY.
That would be nice to have. Although I guess selecting 1/3 , 1/2 exposure steps avoid to have to spin wheel a lot to reach a certain setting. It would be nice to have 1/3, 1/2 or both, or even better would be step size depending on dial speed: fast spinning dial = large increment, slow spinning dial = small steps one at a time. I noticed if I want to move ISO 204 000 down to ISO100, that's quite a lot of dial spinning involved, it is a bit annoying.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-12-2022 at 01:07 AM.
05-12-2022, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

When you ask customers to think about their pain points, without a new product that address those pain points, all you do is making it easier for competitors acquire your customers.
As I said previously, I don't think this thread has anything to do with Ricoh officially. It's just a fun forum discussion
05-12-2022, 01:37 AM   #34
Pentaxian

That would be nice to have. Although I guess selecting 1/3 , 1/2 exposure steps avoid to have to spin wheel a lot to reach a certain setting. It would be nice to have 1/3, 1/2 or both, or even better would be step size depending on dial speed: fast spinning dial = large increment, slow spinning dial = small steps one at a time. I noticed if I want to move ISO 204 000 down to ISO100, that's quite a lot of dial spinning involved, it is a bit annoying.
I have mine set to 1/2 or 1/3 stops, I forget which, but to be honest every photo I take is at a full stop so I don't know why I bother. I could save wear on the wheel by turning them off

05-12-2022, 06:39 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
What's the purpose of the thread?
It's just a thread for us here at PentaxForums. This one is distinguished from other threads that concern what we want to see specifically in the next iteration of a particular model by being about things we'd like to see in any model. As was posted above a couple of times, so why do you continue to ask? If this is so irritating to you, please don't participate. As far as pain points are concerned, lots of these suggestions could be made for all makes, so I don't believe you are correct about bleeding off customers
QuoteQuote:
Is that a survey being done by Ricoh in order to decide what to incorporate in the next Pentax camera model being developed?
No. We can always hope they take an occasional look at our forums, though.
05-12-2022, 11:42 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
If this is so irritating to you, please don't participate.
It's not irritating, I just feel that it's a waste of time.
05-13-2022, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #37
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it's worth, of the four posts you already wasted time writing, I actually rather enjoyed your first - the one regarding a negative digital sensor. I'm not sure how that would work technically, but it's a cool idea in theory... So, that post - from my point of view, at least - was worthwhile

BUT... if you feel the thread is a waste of time, just don't participate. Leave that to others who are enjoying it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-13-2022 at 02:22 AM.
05-13-2022, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Biz, if it's a thread you have no interest why not find one more to your liking? I think it's now the third time you've questioned whether it's worthwhile. Whether it was your intent or not you are waylaying a discussion many of us actually are interested in. We completely understand if you believe it's a waste of your time to post in it.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-13-2022 at 05:10 AM.
05-13-2022, 05:23 AM - 4 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

Please, please, please implement the multi-spot metering system of the Olympus OM-4 which let you take multiple spot meter readings (shown as pips on an over- /under-exposed axis of values).

It was awesome for two reasons:

1) it made it easy to find the scene's "middle gray" exposure by averaging spot meter readings off the whitest and blackest parts of a scene.

2) One could quickly assess the dynamic range of a scene and think about Zone System tonalities.
05-13-2022, 05:36 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wasting time can be fun.

Cameras should have the option to show the horizontal and vertical angle of view and measuring of distance to the focus point.

Would it help making better photographs? - Only in special occasions, I guess. But it would be something more to experiment with. And maybe we would talk about real angles and not equivalents of sensor size / FL combos and camera crop factors
05-13-2022, 09:35 AM - 6 Likes   #41
Pentaxian

I'd like to have a digital camera equipped with something to help me out in those annoying moments when a total stranger starts giving me unwanted technical advice. I seem to keep getting that sort of hassle, because I'm someone who finds the most pleasure in getting good results out of basic, even primitive gear. Which means that, annoyingly often, some bozo festooned with all the latest hi-tech photo gubbinses will sidle up to me and offer some nugget of wisdom from his position of assumed superiority.

So what I'd like is a camera that I could set with a ten second timer delay, before handing it to the bozo in question for him to have a closer sneer at such inferior gear. Then, when the countdown hits zero, it would deliver an incapacitating electric shock. Nothing fatal; just nice and painful.

I suppose the camera would need a built in airbag or somesuch too. To cushion the fall.
05-13-2022, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #42
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'd like to have a digital camera equipped with something to help me out in those annoying moments when a total stranger starts giving me unwanted technical advice. I seem to keep getting that sort of hassle, because I'm someone who finds the most pleasure in getting good results out of basic, even primitive gear. Which means that, annoyingly often, some bozo festooned with all the latest hi-tech photo gubbinses will sidle up to me and offer some nugget of wisdom from his position of assumed superiority.

So what I'd like is a camera that I could set with a ten second timer delay, before handing it to the bozo in question for him to have a closer sneer at such inferior gear. Then, when the countdown hits zero, it would deliver an incapacitating electric shock. Nothing fatal; just nice and painful.

I suppose the camera would need a built in airbag or somesuch too. To cushion the fall.
That's it, right there... My favourite post of 2022

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-13-2022 at 10:10 AM.
05-13-2022, 10:04 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Please, please, please implement the multi-spot metering system of the Olympus OM-4 which let you take multiple spot meter readings (shown as pips on an over- /under-exposed axis of values).

It was awesome for two reasons:

1) it made it easy to find the scene's "middle gray" exposure by averaging spot meter readings off the whitest and blackest parts of a scene.

2) One could quickly assess the dynamic range of a scene and think about Zone System tonalities.
Yes! That would be fantastic.
05-13-2022, 10:28 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'd like to have a digital camera equipped with ...

I believe that camera comes mounted to a drone these days.
05-14-2022, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
a) Split image microprism when using the OVF;

j) event trigger - lightning flash, clapping, audio noise, action, catch-in-focus
These two and a built-in "Tile" to track the location of a misplaced or stolen camera. We already have GPS on some of the cameras, develop this into more features.

Bring back the K10D battery grip for all new cameras which holds the remote.