Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2022, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've always thought it would be nice to have sort of built in neutral dansity filters, achieved by changing the sensor's sensitivity locally, so you could pull down an ND grad over the sky on your touch screen or place an ND spot over the sun or other highlights out of the sensor's normal range at the set ISO. Probably fantasyland, but the thread invites it.

05-22-2022, 07:47 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe so. It would have to be pretty easy to do, otherwise folks would mess it up at home.
Should be no harder than what other have for an interface

All you have to do is set your target according to the distance scale and FL on the lens and make your adjustments.
It probably won't be as easy with 3rd party lenses on a pentax body but as for any lens that records the distance it should work
06-05-2022, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

No information overlay. Am I the only one who think it's a bad idea to have camera settings/modes text overlay on image previews, viewfinder or live view? Would be much better if the images was beside and around the image frame. I often toggle overlay on/off so that I can view my composition, switching overlay on/off is unnecessary or even annoying. If the information would be displayed outside the image frame or on a separate display, switching overlay on/off wouldn't be necessary.
06-21-2022, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote

What we see today from the likes of Microsoft, Apple and others is that they rigorously ditched the PDF and replaced it by an online version, consisting of a full index with a bunch of webpages linked from it. For example the iPhone 13 manual has an index of more than 800 lines alone, that would be a 800 page PDF at least 1]. Apple is doing this for all their gear, all the info is compact but sufficiently detailed, supplementary links are added to each page for related info, and even users can give feedback to improve the contents. To be fair, a local search option is missing.

Pentax should stop making a PDF and a paper version of the user manual and create an online version only. In the box a leaflet with a Quick Start and a reference to the full manual online. The manual can be accessed by phone or tablet from every location you want. This is not only a solution to the problems we have now, it is a big improvement in general, and I guess at the same time with a reduction of the cost.
I don’t know about the rest of you but I often go places where I don’t have any connection, but I have all my camera manuals on my iPad, why should I just assume that the internet is every where, it isn’t. Until the internet is everywhere we need manuals, books , pdfs, and should have the right to look up information the way we want, and not driven by the need to fuel profits of major corporations whos only interest in putting things on line is their profits, NOT your convenience

06-21-2022, 02:14 PM   #65
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don’t know about the rest of you but I often go places where I don’t have any connection, but I have all my camera manuals on my iPad, why should I just assume that the internet is every where, it isn’t. Until the internet is everywhere we need manuals, books , pdfs, and should have the right to look up information the way we want, and not driven by the need to fuel profits of major corporations whos only interest in putting things on line is their profits, NOT your convenience
Well, we have the right to choose to buy only from manufacturers that provide paper manuals... or, if the brand we want doesn't provide them, we have the right to buy that brand and compromise, or else pick another brand that does. None of these companies are forcing us to buy their products

You carry your manuals on your iPad?! Man, that's organised. I carry my smartphone everywhere (at least, I do when I remember it ) but don't have any manuals on it... and the few printed manuals for the cameras I own are back in the retail boxes or on my book-shelves. I just dig into the menus to find what I need when I'm out and about (even when I'm at home, actually). It might take a little while if I haven't used a feature for some time, but I generally get there in the end
06-21-2022, 02:45 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

You carry your manuals on your iPad?! Man, that's organised.
not really along with bird guides maps, novels, etc it’s about all I carry in addition to gear, but it comes in handy

QuoteQuote:
I carry my smartphone everywhere (at least, I do when I remember it ) but don't have any manuals on it..
But as I said you are not always in cell range, hence pdfs

QuoteQuote:
and the few printed manuals for the cameras I own are back in the retail boxes or on my book-shelves. I just dig into the menus to find what I need when I'm out and about (even when I'm at home, actually). It might take a little while if I haven't used a feature for some time, but I generally get there in the end
but again if I took all my bird guides plus camera manuals in paper, the weight would exceed my gear, changing a few memory bits from blank to a camera manual weighs nothing

---------- Post added 06-21-22 at 05:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The ability to record all in-camera settings, user modes, and custom functions to a file that can be saved to SD card and read by other Pentax cameras that allows them to be set up (features permitting) the same way.
Taking this further, let’s imagine you are processing some raw shots in the Pentax photo utility. It should mimic your camera settings in the ranges of adjustments, and allow you to transfer them back to your camera as a custom raw to jpeg setting
06-21-2022, 03:06 PM   #67
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

But as I said you are not always in cell range, hence pdfs
It wouldn't matter whether I was in cell range or not... I don't pay for data on my mobile phone. Away from home, I'm disconnected from the internet unless I visit a coffee shop and actually ask for the wifi details, which I rarely do (it spoils a good coffee )... and my phone generally stays in my pocket unless I need to make or receive a phone call. It's handy for emergencies, though...

06-21-2022, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Well, we have the right to choose to buy only from manufacturers that provide paper manuals... or, if the brand we want doesn't provide them, we have the right to buy that brand and compromise, or else pick another brand that does. None of these companies are forcing us to buy their products

You carry your manuals on your iPad?! Man, that's organised. I carry my smartphone everywhere (at least, I do when I remember it ) but don't have any manuals on it... and the few printed manuals for the cameras I own are back in the retail boxes or on my book-shelves. I just dig into the menus to find what I need when I'm out and about (even when I'm at home, actually). It might take a little while if I haven't used a feature for some time, but I generally get there in the end
Onedrive is my solution.
Available anywhere, also on my phone.
Attached Images

08-27-2022, 11:58 AM   #69
Veteran Member

If the manuals are only available on a web page and not a downloadable PDF, you can always use a PDF printer and print each page to a PDF and then combine all those pages into a single PDF.

And if you have a license for Adobe Acrobat (stand alone) or another real PDF editor, you can OCR the whole thing and even add your own index menu to take you to the different topics and/or chapters.
08-27-2022, 04:07 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Grat idea for a thread!

tilt screen at a minimum, or a fully articulated one like a K1. NOT a flippy / snap off one like the K70

Split prism as an option (or full time) in the viewfinder - with graduted lens glasses my focus mojo can always use a little help. When I switched to digital in 2020 that was the thing I missed every day for quite a while. I bought the split prism glass, but then chickened out because it throws the meter off. Less of a “must have” for me after 2 years driving a KP, though I could still really use it in some MF situations
08-28-2022, 09:01 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
Grat idea for a thread!

tilt screen at a minimum, or a fully articulated one like a K1. NOT a flippy / snap off one like the K70

Split prism as an option (or full time) in the viewfinder - with graduted lens glasses my focus mojo can always use a little help. When I switched to digital in 2020 that was the thing I missed every day for quite a while. I bought the split prism glass, but then chickened out because it throws the meter off. Less of a “must have” for me after 2 years driving a KP, though I could still really use it in some MF situations
Split prism as a standard feature would be nice. As for manual focusing with current features, does the the live view focusing not work well enough? I've used that before with no problems on my K-30 for some macro pictures and it always worked just fine.

As for something I would like, but most likely impossible with current tech, would be the ability to adapt whatever other systems lenses to a camera without having to add glass in between and also maintain full functionality of said adapted lenses.
08-30-2022, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
Grat idea for a thread!

Crazy idea here, though some will want it too. Someone might have already posted something similar in this thread, but I'm too lazy to read through it. Hahaha!

A Pentax K-1 variant that is specifically made to use manual focusing lenses through the OVF with a split prism screen & metering designed for it. No autofocus or anything like that. Just a straight manual focusing camera. It would obviously be compatible with all lenses, including modern lenses, but focusing is strictly manual through a split prism screen. This would be a true through the OVF SLR experience.

It's hard to manually focus lenses through modern viewfinders. Sometimes what looks to be dead on in focus is completely off once you look at the photo on the LCD screen. I have to use live view with focus peaking when I manually focus a lens & that basically defeats the whole OVF experience. It's almost like I'm resorting to mirrorless-like photography.
09-19-2022, 12:54 AM   #73
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would like a camera to nave the sensor in the portrait position.
I know I would need 2 cameras ... but boy it would save my wrist .

I take about 50 % in portrait position
09-19-2022, 01:43 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
would like a camera to nave the sensor in the portrait position. ...I take about 50 % in portrait position
That is what the accessory grips are for : Grips (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
09-19-2022, 01:47 AM - 2 Likes   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I‘d like to see a special K-1 and/or KP having expanded Composition Adjustment - i.e. much expanded Sensor Shift compared to usual Composition Adjustment shift

plus a specialized 24mm Pentax Tilt lens - Tilt only!

so it‘s possible to have Tilt-Shift functionality in a complete new (decoupled) way.