Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Does the electronic shutter provide anything other than ultrafast shutter speeds?

Hi all,

Can having an electronic shutter provide any benefits other than ultrafast shutter speeds? Can it allow faster flash sync? What are the negatives associated with using an electronic shutter?

01-25-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Presumably electronic shutter can be used only in live view, should be much quieter, and depending on scan rate can have issues with rolling shutter distortion in situations where the camera body is moved (typically panning). The extent of the rolling shutter issue will become apparent once additional specifications are published.
01-26-2017, 01:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Would eliminate the chances of shutter shock. Many mirrorless cameras have this feature already. Would be great combined with longer lenses and SR.
01-26-2017, 04:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's will be fun photographing moving stuff. Playing with rolling shutter effect.

01-26-2017, 10:01 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It's will be fun photographing moving stuff. Playing with rolling shutter effect.
IMHO, the novelty wears off real quick.

Here's the K-1 at 1/1000s:

01-26-2017, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
MHO, the novelty wears off real quick. Here's the K-1 at 1/1000s:
Cool, I like it, the subject popping out the frame.
Depends how you see it. Some people like fish eye lenses; You could also develop your own electronic shutter art photo :-)
Shall we start a thread "post you ES art photos" ? :-)
01-27-2017, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Great it's giving me vertigo...

01-27-2017, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

The cameras with electronic shutters that allowed high flash sync speeds (some old nikons, d40, d50, d70, etc, at least it was some type of mechanical/electronic hybrid deallie) used ccd sensors with global shutters so they did not have the rolling effect. I think all the cmos sensors have slow rolling shutters, which causes issues with flash sync.

Try some images of propellers or fans, or a cyclist with a propeller beanie. Should give you another 10 minutes of fun.
01-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Try some images of propellers or fans, or a cyclist with a propeller beanie. Should give you another 10 minutes of fun.
You can see it in the curve of the spokes on the wheel.

Yes, I'm over it, pass the remote, I'm changing channels.
03-31-2017, 01:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Kp is much the same in terms of rolling shutter - I guess it's largely good for marketing purposes and for taking pictures of the sun.
MLU works fine to remove shutter shock.
04-07-2017, 01:31 AM   #11

It gives you the possibility to shoot completly silence, useful in some places and situations where any noise may be annoying. The shutter schock is also eliminated.
04-07-2017, 01:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
Would be great combined with longer lenses and SR.
SR is disabled because of rolling shutter effects. We would need a global shutter read out sensor to avoid that.
04-07-2017, 05:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
Kp is much the same in terms of rolling shutter - I guess it's largely good for marketing purposes and for taking pictures of the sun.
MLU works fine to remove shutter shock.
Mirror Lock-up takes care of vibrations caused by mirror slap, but doesn't help with the moving mechanical shutter.

Extremely high magnification macro people will also benefit.
04-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kape06111 Quote
It gives you the possibility to shoot completly silence, useful in some places and situations where any noise may be annoying.....
On several times I've been asked to take pictures during our church service. I've been using my Q-7 because it's leaf shutter is so quiet; since virtually no action is involved, electronic shutter would also be a good approach.
04-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Mirror Lock-up takes care of vibrations caused by mirror slap, but doesn't help with the moving mechanical shutter.

Extremely high magnification macro people will also benefit.
You're right, they are different things, I wasn't really paying attention.

The other day I was playing with my kp, and found that in live view with the electronic shutter and the aperture preset or wide open, manual focus, shake reduction off, and a few other things, its totally silent and inert.

Not much use to me, but for scientific applications it's probably extremely useful.