Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Have you ever shot astrophotography (that is, photographed at night)?

That giant, glowing LED display kills it when the little, top LCD does the job of dialing in the settings.

I usually keep the LED rear screen off (outside of image review) and just use the top LCD even during the day. The rear LED screen is such a distraction imo.

I won't buy a camera today that doesn't have a top LCD panel.
Just use the red night mode, silly. I use it on my K70 for astro and it is LESS distracting than the top LCD on my K3/K5/Kxx

01-26-2017, 08:23 AM   #17
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Just use the red night mode, silly. I use it on my K70 for astro and it is LESS distracting than the top LCD on my K3/K5/Kxx
Doh. Yes, that would technically work.

But I really loathe that back screen for most use. I will just wait on the next K-3 successor (which in another thread has just been stated as arriving in around 6 months from now).
01-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Well there seems to be a lot of negativity in the other threads so I just wanted to say thanks Ricoh for making this camera. I'm really digging it.

I think a lot of the Pentax base are critiquing this camera as a K3ii successor, which clearly it is not.
For those folks we still have the brilliant K3ii which will shortly be available at a very nice end of production pricing. If the K3ii is not enough the K3iii (or equivalent) will be coming. And of course there is the K-1.

So what is the KP about and who is it for?

- Well it almost seems like they made it for me! I like like to run the Limited lenses in a rugged compact mirror-less size package that I can carry all day, but still has full DSLR controls, WR capability, optical viewfinder, and can produce close to full-frame type image quality. (perhaps no coincidence they feature it with the 20-40, another widely misunderstood product)
- It looks like a fairly low-cost investment for Ricoh piggy-backing off K3-ii/K70 tech that potentially keeps some of the Pentax base in the fold who may have been tempted by Fuji/Oly.
- It potentially pulls in some people from other systems who are shopping for a rugged capable compact system with full WR options.
- An interesting option for the K-30/K-50/K-5 folks who never got to the K-3/K-70 and are looking for an upgrade down the road.

As for the criticisms:
No LCD...... don't care. If you need this K3ii or K3iii is your camera.
Video / 4K....don't care. But I get it is an issue for some.
Focusing....I've honestly found the K5iis focusing perfectly fine for my needs once I dialed it in. Any improvements are gravy.
Battery.....with the improved electronics integration, battery life may be better than expected. If you need more there is the optional grip.

I could see this camera replacing my K5iis/K30 combo down the road.

The market will ultimately give its verdict. But I'm very interested to see how this camera does.
Looking forward to the hands-on reviews!
Thank you for the positivism. A new Pentax, ANY new Pentax, should be cause for excitement.

I agree with all your points, although it appears the AF criticism is that it is JUST another incremental improvement and not a huge leap forward. Well, yeah, it's a Pentax. Huge leaps are not their style. I'm looking forward to it being the second-best AF system Pentax has ever made (after K-1).

Last edited by THoog; 01-26-2017 at 03:26 PM.
01-26-2017, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #19

The positives (for my use):

- Tilting screen... and NOT a fully-articulating screen. I shoot from the hip (and above my head) a lot, and the tilt-only screens are quicker.
- Electronic shutter... I've really grown to love the slient shutters on my m4/3 gear.
- Lack of a large handgrip... I rarely need one. I prefer a compact body.
- Better IBIS
- Better sensor
- Night mode (red) on the LCD
- Extra control dial with the three custom options.
- Pixel shift.
- And, I may be the first one to say it... but I love the placement of the front dial. I miss that orientation of the front dial since I left Canon 10+ years ago (they put it behind the shutter, which felt more comfortable for me, but this looks better to me than Pentax's traditional position.

Negatives (for my use):
- No dedicated AF point control (joystick, touchscreen, etc). Hopefully it has the custom function of the K1 which defaults the directional buttons for this use.
- No Astrotracer built in. I haven't used a flip flash on a DSLR for years, but I have used the K3 Astrotracer on several occasions.
- No dual card slots

Also, I don't miss the top LCD at all, I'd rather have more knobs there.

And, I did pre-order.

Last edited by wildboar; 01-26-2017 at 03:45 PM.
01-26-2017, 03:40 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you Ricoh, for keeping Pentax going ever since Pentax was supposed to be doomed like 6 years ago. Or longer, I forget.
01-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm also pretty happy this camera has come out. Thanks Ricoh!
01-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #22

I think the camera looks stunning. I expect I would also be very happy with its performane (as I am still using a k100d and especially with the limiteds results are fine). Surely, Pentax deserves some praise!

01-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
The positives (for my use):

- Tilting screen... and NOT a fully-articulating screen. I shoot from the hip (and above my head) a lot, and the tilt-only screens are quicker.
- Electronic shutter... I've really grown to love the slient shutters on my m4/3 gear.
- Lack of a large handgrip... I rarely need one. I prefer a compact body.
- Better IBIS
- Better sensor
- Night mode (red) on the LCD
- Extra control dial with the three custom options.
- Pixel shift.
- And, I may be the first one to say it... but I love the placement of the front dial. I miss that orientation of the front dial since I left Canon 10+ years ago (they put it behind the shutter, which felt more comfortable for me, but this looks better to me than Pentax's traditional position.

Negatives (for my use):
- No dedicated AF point control (joystick, touchscreen, etc). Hopefully it has the custom function of the K1 which defaults the directional buttons for this use.
- No Astrotracer built in. I haven't used a flip flash on a DSLR for years, but I have used the K3 Astrotracer on several occasions.
- No dual card slots

Also, I don't miss the top LCD at all, I'd rather have more knobs there.

And, I did pre-order.
Good for you, I pre-ordered one to go with my K3II, glad to see someone else on the forum go for one too. Should be a pretty impressive camera. Pentax will also get some more out of me for the battery grip and 20-40 Limited too.
01-26-2017, 09:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I like it. Does not matter if the top lcd is missing as along as the image and AF is good. Thats for me.

---------- Post added 01-27-2017 at 12:32 PM ----------

BTW the battery on the grip is different form the camera itself. It says DL190P
01-26-2017, 11:17 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
BTW the battery on the grip is different form the camera itself. It says DL190P
The battery grip can use either battery.
01-27-2017, 01:24 AM   #26

Digging design of the KP, looks like small mirrorless from rival company. Without the humps in the front, KP would look much better Also loving added features like Action, DoF and MTF in Program Mode, Extra Sharpness, new ISO AUTO mode, electronic shutter, Shake Reduction II and Dust Removal II. Looks like good replacement for my K200D
01-27-2017, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now I have a K-1, my K-3 doesn't get much use these days, but neither do my K-5 (now passed to one of my daughters), K20D or *istD. As I have another overseas trip coming up this year, I'm starting to wonder about the wisdom of lugging around even the K-3 plus DA* zooms. It could be that I replace the K-3 with a KP and fit just that and my DA Limiteds (plus the FA77) into a messenger bag, rather than carry all the rest in a back pack.

Thanks, Ricoh, for giving me another choice to spend some more money with you!
01-27-2017, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like JinDesu above, I'm just happy that Ricoh has kept the Pentax name alive and moving forward. They're never going to please everyone with their releases but I would speculate that if Pentax were still part of Hoya then we might not even have the name around anymore. Maybe the naysayers should just be thankful for what Ricoh offer up and get out and take more photo's.
01-28-2017, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #29

Sexy little camera, hopefully this body style will continue up the line... Really great work from the Pentax design team.