Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
No incremental HD Video improvements over my existing K-70 and I already have an accelerator chip.

01-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Hmmmnn. ...I've still got my K-5 (2011 bought new), my K-m (2009 bought new) and my K10D (bought new in 2007)....I like them all, the end product the photograhs are wonderful. I shoot mainly at 80 (K5) to 400 ISO. My K-5 does fine at 800-1600.

I'm thinking of full frame and at this time either the K-1 or the Canon 5D3.

The KP (name reminds me of military duty that you try to avoid) sounds good, but I've got three good ASP-C bodies that touch wood...still do the job. But on the other hand, thanks Ricoh for introducing the new KP. Seems like a very good camera and a good replacement for the K-3ll.

BTW, I don't keep up with all the specs on new cameras these days. Is the KP the replacement for the K3ll ? Have I got that right ?
01-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Is the KP the replacement for the K3ll ? Have I got that right ?
We're none of us quite certain either way. General opinion suggests it's not a replacement for the K-3II but a new model within the range - which makes some sense given that falls behind the K-3II in some areas (whilst undoubtedly trouncing it on high ISO image quality)...
01-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
We're none of us quite certain either way. General opinion suggests it's not a replacement for the K-3II but a new model within the range - which makes some sense given that falls behind the K-3II in some areas (whilst undoubtedly trouncing it on high ISO image quality)...
Ricoh says it's not.

01-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #35
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Ricoh says it's not.
Ah, OK - is that official?
01-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Ah, OK - is that official?
I commented under their KP post on Facebook, and they replied: "Please note that the KP is not the successor of the K3." I assume they meant the K3 II, because that's the camera I was talking about in my comment.
01-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #37
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I commented under their KP post on Facebook, and they replied: "Please note that the KP is not the successor of the K3." I assume they meant the K3 II, because that's the camera I was talking about in my comment.
That's official enough for me Thanks for that

01-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Thanks BigMack and Mr Fox . I did read how the KP didn't have a complete magnesium alloy body like a K3ll...just some body panels made of the stuff, which made me think. If Pentax plans to eventually come out with a K3ll successor, that would be excellent. I am pleased to see Ricoh is continuing to pump out new Pentax bodies, gives me some faith in their future.
01-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
No cheap feeling 24 MP camera that barely out-resolves a K-3 is going to lure me away from my K-1. The world has moved on.
Uhh, not sure what you mean about "cheap feeling", since mine isn't like that at all. And I could have got an A7R if I wanted more pixels, but I didn't because that wasn't of any value to me.

---------- Post added 01-26-17 at 05:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
So how do you like that pixelly and slow EVF?
I got the Sony A7, which has a very good EVF. Not sure which camera you are thinking of.

My priority was a good experience with manual focus adapted SLR lenses, and I think I got that.
01-26-2017, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Uhh, not sure what you mean about "cheap feeling", since mine isn't like that at all. And I could have got an A7R if I wanted more pixels, but I didn't because that wasn't of any value to me.

---------- Post added 01-26-17 at 05:11 PM ----------

I got the Sony A7, which has a very good EVF. Not sure which camera you are thinking of.

My priority was a good experience with manual focus adapted SLR lenses, and I think I got that.
I am speaking of the same camera. I found the EVF terrible. Slow when panning, poor compared with my various SLR's viewfinders. Poor resolution (visible pixels) and not particularly great when moving from bright sunlight to shade either.
01-26-2017, 04:27 PM - 3 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by the squirrel mafia Quote
why will i not buy the kp?

It's not the droid that i'm looking for.

Errr..... I mean, it's not the camera that i'm looking for.
Name:  star-wars-humour-the-droids-were-looking-for-stormtroopers-use-google-search.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  168.8 KB
01-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Imagine how I must feel about the K-3
01-26-2017, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I won't be buying a KP because the Admiral said I didn't need a new camera I already have 3 and the Admiral wants new outfits for a Caribbean Vacation
01-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not buying

For the moment, I feel that the K-1 and K-3 pretty well put me at the high point of camera features for my amateur use, and I can always fall back to the K-5II as needed.
01-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
I won't be buying a KP because the Admiral said I didn't need a new camera I already have 3 and the Admiral wants new outfits for a Caribbean Vacation
No austerity in the navy then!