Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2017, 05:30 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been eagerly awaiting for Pentax to come out with that flip screen design. I find it very useful with my mirrorless cam, and much prefer it to the fully articulated one on my K-S2. There's also a lot to like about the KP besides the screen, but my K-S2 is still going strong and just I purchased a K-1. If this came out before I made the K-1 purchase, it may have swayed the decision because I have a good line up of APSC lenses.

The main reason, though, is my wife would kill me if I showed up with another DSLR. Now if they really came through with an APSC mirrorless.....

01-27-2017, 05:54 AM - 4 Likes   #62
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Because I'm a serious Pentaxian, who takes photography seriously.
Why anyone would want a compact, nice-looking camera with quite a few industry-leading specs is completely beyond me. For the price they're asking, I want a camera which blows the the D500 out of the water, because I'm a "serious Pentaxian" (AKA total cheapskate).
01-27-2017, 06:24 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I certainly don't expect a D500 rival for £1100 - i'd expect such a camera to cost at least as much as the K-1 - but that's what i'd like to see Pentax release.
They don't currently have anything like this in their range and IMO it's what the K-3 replacement should be. I won't be selling my K-3 to buy a KP.

Last edited by Papa Lazarou; 01-27-2017 at 06:33 AM.
01-27-2017, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #64

Because it's much more expensive than the K-3II, with only small improvements in key areas, and 1 or 2 downgrades (battery) in practicality.

The smaller buffer size might be unimportant if the accelerator unit allows it to dump images to the card faster, thus taking longer to fill it. Remember the best cards can write several images per second, they just haven't been able to take advantage of that.

01-27-2017, 08:08 AM - 4 Likes   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
Because it's much more expensive than the K-3II, with only small improvements in key areas, and 1 or 2 downgrades (battery) in practicality.

The smaller buffer size might be unimportant if the accelerator unit allows it to dump images to the card faster, thus taking longer to fill it. Remember the best cards can write several images per second, they just haven't been able to take advantage of that.
After using my K-3 for a couple years now, I find the D500's retreat to 20 MP an un-cceptable trade off. ON wildlife, bird crops, having room to crop is not negotiable. I'm not taking a step backwards in one area, to advance in another. That's my D500 thought process. If Pentax makes a D500 I won't buy it, and I'm it's target market. Very few of my images rely on tracking, and Pentax AFS focus is in the ball park with anyone's. Something posters continuously overlook. If I can get the camera pointed at the subject the camera will lock focus fast enough, there would be minimal advantage to having a faster focus. Certainly not worth the minimum of $1000 those systems cost.

Fast AF and burst , buy the camera you want, the specs you want, then add $1000-$3000 to the price, and accept a smaller image with less resolution. That's reality. Now honestly how many of you are in position to say, "I'll buy that."

I suspect Pentax knows how few will actually make that purchase.

The interesting thing to me is ho many think they are a person who would. There are folks complaining about the price of the KP. A D500 is a lot more.

Pentax has always been IQ first, and then make the best use of available technology without getting all cutting edge. Cutting edge is never value for money. And they have stated as a company, video is not their priority. So what is all this video stuff bein tossed around?

People who should know better asking Pentax to do something, that Pentax has definitely stated they are not doing. Pentax isn't going to change. There are some people who need to.

Last edited by normhead; 01-28-2017 at 03:56 PM.
01-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #66
Pentaxian

It's a beautiful machine... tempted strongly, but I don't want to carry two sets of batteries around. Plus not keen on switching between APS-C/FF formats all the time. If one or the other were different, I'd probably succumb.
01-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #67
Pentaxian

When Pentax was giving away a K-1, I stated I wouldn't enter the contest because the K-1 doesn't fit what I do as a photographer, and I would have to spend serious money on new lenses in order to get the capabilities {viewed in terms of "effective focal length"} that I have today.

The KP is different. I would love to have one, and I would park my K-30 if someone would give me a KP .... but that isn't going to happen ..... and I don't have the funds right now to buy one for myself.

01-27-2017, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #68

Cause for that money, it should be a replacement for both, my K-S2 and my wife

01-27-2017, 06:23 PM   #69

Precision camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-28-2017, 05:25 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Because I just bought a k-3II a year and a half ago and I don't have spare cash for this gorgeous thing. If I had the funds, I wouldn't make a comment here.
01-28-2017, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #71

Because Pentax wants me to go with another brand.
No decent updates in video department since Pentax K-01 times. This ruins the excitement. And as much as I love Pentax and qualities Pentax cameras have, this one tiny segment pushes me away from getting a new Pentax camera.
That is why I am not investing in Pentax KP or Pentax k1. What is more, probably my investment will go to another brand.
I am facing the need to upgrade my pc so who knows, maybe Pentax will release a camera I would have interest in by the time I will collect funds for a new camera. However, judging last 5 years, my hopes are no longer... still nice to see new developments from Pentax and I am happy to see KP getting so much attention all over the internet. Hopefully this cam will be a success and will bring in foundation for even more exciting innovations to Pentax brand.
01-28-2017, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #72
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stargeezer Quote
Precision camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure it will be. Surely that's a reason to buy one?

Oh, hang on... I know what you mean now!
01-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #73

At the announced price-point, Pentax's current line-up, and its odd mix of specs (and specifically the still lacking af for decent video and fully-position-able touchscreen), it's tough to figure who the target buyer is.
01-28-2017, 02:35 PM   #74

Cos for $1000 I can hold on to a K-5 and get a nice new 300 f4, or pick up a used K-3 ii and keep some change. Looks quite nice though.
01-29-2017, 12:07 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Because the govt. has just halved (literally) my wife's and my pensions.