Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2017, 06:30 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The problem with Image Sync is that it only supports single frame shooting. No burst, self timer, interval shooting, or anything like that.
Bummer. Well, let's hope that RIcoh is going to update the app alongside with release of KP.

01-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
Bummer. Well, let's hope that RIcoh is going to update the app alongside with release of KP.
That would be great! The Theta app is light years ahead of image sync, so I remain hopeful.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-31-2017, 09:35 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Hmmmm. Its a small inconvenience but not a deal breaker for me. Kinda surprised we got a nice price increase and an omission of some of the simplest requirements.
I love the looks and want one really bad for that alone. But this is going to be a Black Friday deal for me.
Hate to say it but I'm sure sales are going to lag on this one especially if a K3III or successor is around the corner by fall.
02-01-2017, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WestBug Quote
Hmmmm. Its a small inconvenience but not a deal breaker for me. Kinda surprised we got a nice price increase and an omission of some of the simplest requirements.
I love the looks and want one really bad for that alone. But this is going to be a Black Friday deal for me.
Hate to say it but I'm sure sales are going to lag on this one especially if a K3III or successor is around the corner by fall.
I would like to have this body, but the price makes it hard for me to break my rule that I don't buy digital early in the product cycle. I have only broken that rule only once, for the K1. It is hard to go $1,100-$1,200 on this one when my last K3 body was around $600 with battery grip. The high ISO would have to be fantastic.

02-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I would like to have this body, but the price makes it hard for me to break my rule that I don't buy digital early in the product cycle. I have only broken that rule only once, for the K1. It is hard to go $1,100-$1,200 on this one when my last K3 body was around $600 with battery grip. The high ISO would have to be fantastic.
I work for a professional photographer that briefly went Pentax and then ended up selling two of his K-1's to us for really cheap ($2800 total). Neither had 100 clicks on them. My K3II was only $800 so this one is really hard to digest the obvious price increase. I think after the initial release we are gonna see this price drop really fast.
02-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WestBug Quote
I work for a professional photographer that briefly went Pentax and then ended up selling two of his K-1's to us for really cheap ($2800 total). Neither had 100 clicks on them. My K3II was only $800 so this one is really hard to digest the obvious price increase. I think after the initial release we are gonna see this price drop really fast.
No one knows anything about a camera that has less than 100 clicks on it. Lucky you.

Although, if you're a pro, and the camera doesn't work in your work flow, time spent learning the work arounds can cost you money.
02-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
No one knows anything about a camera that has less than 100 clicks on it. Lucky you.
Although, if you're a pro, and the camera doesn't work in your work flow, time spent learning the work arounds can cost you money.
He had 4 K-1 bodies and these two were initially checked for functionality and put back in the boxes. The two he is still using have thousands of Images I'm quite sure. He is a lifetime Nikon shooter, and now uses both systems. Yes...Very Lucky Me !
That was exactly why......workflow and compatibility issues. At least I don't have to listen to all his bit****n now.

Last edited by WestBug; 02-02-2017 at 09:58 AM.
02-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The problem with Image Sync is that it only supports single frame shooting. No burst, self timer, interval shooting, or anything like that.

There is a wired cable release (CS-310) that plugs in to the mic port.

Also, since you can now select up to 20 minutes in bulb mode, the remote isn't quite as crucial for astrophotography- but it would still be nice.
There is a noticeable lag when shooting with Image Sync compared to the IR trigger or electronic cable release. And yes a burst mode in the App is also needed.
02-12-2017, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use my IR remote a lot. That really is disappointing. I do have a wired release but it is not always the most convenient to use. When shooting time exposures at night the remote is best. Staring at a bright phone kills my night vision. Not everyone wants to use their phones for this. From what I have read Pentax wireless functionality has been hit or miss at best. With my remote I know the camera will fire %100 of the time. I hope Ricoh has improved the wireless capability. In my opinion not including an IR sensor on a $1000+ camera is rather foolish.
02-13-2017, 02:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I use IR remote all the time with my K-30 for starting/stopping video recording. Huge bummer. Definitely do not want to use a phone over Wifi for that. The lithium battery in the IR remote lasts for 5 years+. The phone, not so much. My experience with my Wifi remote apps with other cameras (Sony) has been very underwhelming. And who knows in 5 years if the app is still supported on your next phone. Seems like a really silly decision to remove it.

I have used my IR remote on trips for family group photos as well. Smartphone remote would probably be unsuitable for that if you are the subject.

---------- Post added 02-13-17 at 01:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I use my IR remote a lot. That really is disappointing. I do have a wired release but it is not always the most convenient to use. When shooting time exposures at night the remote is best. Staring at a bright phone kills my night vision. Not everyone wants to use their phones for this. From what I have read Pentax wireless functionality has been hit or miss at best. With my remote I know the camera will fire %100 of the time. I hope Ricoh has improved the wireless capability. In my opinion not including an IR sensor on a $1000+ camera is rather foolish.
Yes, seems like 2 steps forwards, 1 step backwards.
This is about saving a few cents for an IR receiver. It's not like they even included a remote in the box in the first place.
Completely ridiculous. Sony camcorders are like that too.

I think you can buy a special accessory that connects to the cable release and has an IR receive. Will cost you much more if you want that feature.
Better solution : just keep the old camera and don't buy another one.

My last Pentax was a K-30 - when I lost it a year ago, I bought another K-30 for $200 on ebay.
Pentax also no longer has in-body AA batteries which is what brought me to Pentax in the first place with the K200D in 2008.
Grips are not the same as they make the camera much bigger too.

A K-1 with a battery grip to take AAs would be nearly twice as big as a K-30. And the K-1 plus battery grip costs $2,000.
These feature removals make it extremely easy for me to decide not to spend the money on another camera. No K-1 or K-P purchase for me.

IR is one I use a lot as well.

If Pentax can just make a full-frame camera with every single feature of the K-30, plus 4K video, they'll have me as a buyer for sure. I feel I may need to be cryogenically frozen to wait to see it.
02-14-2017, 12:00 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Oh that's really bad, how much would an IR sensor cost to produce ? together with the sliding diopter adjustment I got at least two reasons NOT to purchase this camera, this camera supposed to be an upgrade to the K3ii but 'unwise' cost saving made it look bad
02-14-2017, 12:33 AM   #27
Veteran Member

No it' not an upgrade to K3II, this have been said multiple time.
02-14-2017, 06:10 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
No it' not an upgrade to K3II, this have been said multiple time.
I understand removing or just disabling features to differentiate between product lines but this is a low cost feature that the 'lower' k-70 has, and I think every Pentax dslr before it (I could be wrong). This makes for a confusing upgrade path. (So does the weaker on-board flash, but that's another thread).

I'd really love to know their rational for this one. The changeable grips would interfere with the IR sensors usual location, but they could have put it on the other side, or at least still had a rear facing one, or included it with the optional battery grip. It's baffling.

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
together with the sliding diopter adjustment I got at least two reasons NOT to purchase this camera...
What's wrong with the diopter? Its placement?