Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No IR Remote Port, Bad For Outdoor Enthusiasts?

I feel like the lack of at least one IR remote port is a terrible decision for a company that tries to sell it's products as "rugged", "outdoor", "field camera", or "WR".

I know a lot of people use cable release remotes, but when I've got my camera in the rain, or on a tripod in the middle of a creek, IR shutter release is a must. Now none of this matters if the actual cable release port is sealed kind of like how they now seal the power and headphone ports on smartphones, but lets be real, the pictures show a big rubber flap over the port for a reason.

The camera looks terrific! But this would definitely make me think twice before purchasing it.

01-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use Wifi !?
There are for sure "WR" phones to safely use as trigger.
01-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I use an IR remote, but I know a lot of people prefer wired remotes, especially outdoors where bright sunlight can play havoc with IR...
01-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That's an unfortunate omission. IR remotes are convenient and how I trigger a significant percent of my photos. I can operate my IR remotes through winter gloves with no additional dangling cables to catch on, and little worry if I drop it in the snow or down an icy crevasse, or if rain happens to mess it up, they're cheap enough that my wallet can withstand a few losses.

01-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An iPhone 7+ apparently survived 13 hours in an icy river. Is that WR enough?

iPhone 7 Plus Survives Icy River Water For 13 Hours
01-26-2017, 01:11 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
There are for sure "WR" phones to safely use as trigger.
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
An iPhone 7+ apparently survived 13 hours in an icy river. Is that WR enough?
WR smartphone = $150 - $750

IR remote on ebay = $0.99

Plus Wifi eats battery.
01-26-2017, 09:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, this is a curious omission for a camera marketed as a compact outdoor/landscape camera. There is surely room somewhere on the back of the camera at least. Even my minuscule Q cameras have front and back IR.

I do really like what I'm seeing with the KP and this is not a deal-breaker (I would just use a wired trigger).

But fumbling around for a phone and messing with wi-fi while trying to shoot a seascape in cold blustery conditions is not exactly convenient.

01-27-2017, 02:31 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Yes, this is a curious omission for a camera marketed as a compact outdoor/landscape camera.
I think you mixed up KP with K-70. All PR images, videos and released specs so far seem to suggest (at least in my mind) that this camera is a street shooter/traveler companion, aimed at mid-tier MILC (Oly OM-D EM-5 II/Fuji XT-20) user base.
01-27-2017, 02:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
I think you mixed up KP with K-70. All PR images, videos and released specs so far seem to suggest (at least in my mind) that this camera is a street shooter/traveler companion, aimed at mid-tier MILC (Oly OM-D EM-5 II/Fuji XT-20) user base.
Regardless of how it's being marketed, it's still WR... until you need a remote.
01-27-2017, 03:27 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Regardless of how it's being marketed, it's still WR... until you need a remote.
It has Wi-Fi remote functionality - I've yet to see or own a smartphone that would get damaged by a rain or snow. If you plan to shoot in much more severe conditions, there is no guarantee that KP (or K-3II for that matter) WR will be sufficient anyway.

But if you absolutely have to have ability to control camera from the IR remote, unfortunately, KP is not for you. K-3 II successor most likely will feature two ports in the usual places and will suit your needs perfectly.
01-27-2017, 04:02 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a Miops smart trigger, you can control it from your phone and set it to fire the shutter from a range of visual and auditory signals.
01-29-2017, 09:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an IR release, and quite like it... but I always misplace it. I usually use a self timer, most of the time it's just as good with some ingenuity.

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I feel like the lack of at least one IR remote port is a terrible decision for a company that tries to sell it's products as "rugged", "outdoor", "field camera", or "WR".

I know a lot of people use cable release remotes, but when I've got my camera in the rain, or on a tripod in the middle of a creek, IR shutter release is a must. Now none of this matters if the actual cable release port is sealed kind of like how they now seal the power and headphone ports on smartphones, but lets be real, the pictures show a big rubber flap over the port for a reason.

The camera looks terrific! But this would definitely make me think twice before purchasing it.
01-29-2017, 09:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I use the self timer too periodically, but there are instances especially in nature where I have my tripod mounted camera somewhere the shutter button isn't easily accessible.

Last edited by geomez; 01-30-2017 at 09:04 AM.
01-30-2017, 01:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Just tested a workaround for IR/wifi remote shutter release . Unfortunately wonīt provide weather protection..

You can use a pair of cheap Canon version Yongnuo RF-603II triggers and the provided 2.5mm jack cabel!

Put one trigger to hot shoe, 2.5mm cable from this trigger to cable release socket and use the other trigger as a remote!

Both triggers have to be in TRX mode! You can choose to use a flash but this works even if the flash (YN-560III in my case) is off.

Cheers!

---------- Post added 30-01-17 at 11:17 ----------

Oh..sure simple cable release is .. well.. simpler, but if donīt have one (I donīt) then this might be another usable way. And then there is duct tape to take care of WR :/ .

Anyway I thought I had a real McGyver moment here while having sick leave (manflu..)
01-30-2017, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
It has Wi-Fi remote functionality - I've yet to see or own a smartphone that would get damaged by a rain or snow. If you plan to shoot in much more severe conditions, there is no guarantee that KP (or K-3II for that matter) WR will be sufficient anyway.

But if you absolutely have to have ability to control camera from the IR remote, unfortunately, KP is not for you. K-3 II successor most likely will feature two ports in the usual places and will suit your needs perfectly.
The problem with Image Sync is that it only supports single frame shooting. No burst, self timer, interval shooting, or anything like that.

There is a wired cable release (CS-310) that plugs in to the mic port.

Also, since you can now select up to 20 minutes in bulb mode, the remote isn't quite as crucial for astrophotography- but it would still be nice.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: