Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2017, 12:09 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
...it has 3 Fx buttons and I'm planning to assign AE Lock to the Fx1 (the one on the mirror box, just above AF mode selector button), and set AF/AE-lock as a AF only button.
I hope you find this option available on the KP. In the K-70, although the AF/AE Lock button can be set to AF only, AE Lock doesn't appear to be in the settings options for the Fx1 or Fx2 buttons.

Philip

01-31-2017, 03:39 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
I hope you find this option available on the KP. In the K-70, although the AF/AE Lock button can be set to AF only, AE Lock doesn't appear to be in the settings options for the Fx1 or Fx2 buttons.

Philip
QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh Imaging:
RAW/Fx1 button
In addition to change the file format temporarily, EV Compensation, Sensitivity, Preview, AE Lock, Change AF Area, Electronic Level, Wi-Fi, Night Vision LCD Display and Operation Control Lock can be assigned.

EV Compensation/Fx3 button
In addition to change the exposure compensation value, Sensitivity, Preview, AE Lock, Change AF Area, One Push File Format, Electronic Level and Operation Control Lock can be assigned.

Features3 | PENTAX KP | RICOH IMAGING

01-31-2017, 04:01 PM   #18
Pentaxian

That's good.
01-31-2017, 06:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
You could take the KP plus the battery grip. To save on weight, you can even leave out the KP's batteries and just bring LI90s, as the grip supports both styles and should power the camera even without an internal battery.
True, but a battery grip takes away the compact package which is a big part of the appeal for travel. It is by no means a deal killer to take two chargers or several batteries. I am posting on the will buy thread.

01-31-2017, 06:14 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
True, but a battery grip takes away the compact package which is a big part of the appeal for travel. It is by no means a deal killer to take two chargers or several batteries. I am posting on the will buy thread.
Fair. Just offering an alternative.
01-31-2017, 09:17 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I'm just wondering if the folks from the "Why I wont buy a K3" thread , are going to come to this one too and turn it into a bunch of free for all nonsense ?
Its a very repulsive thread from a standpoint of being an outsider looking for advice , contribution , and Camera talk. But it seems all of a sudden they are popping up everywhere where it isn't very welcome in new threads for the KP.
The moderator seems to be egging on the bacon , and velveeta cheese......Please stop this ?
Isnt one Satire thread enough ?
01-31-2017, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WestBug Quote
I'm just wondering if the folks from the "Why I wont buy a K3" thread , are going to come to this one too and turn it into a bunch of free for all nonsense ?
Its a very repulsive thread from a standpoint of being an outsider looking for advice , contribution , and Camera talk. But it seems all of a sudden they are popping up everywhere where it isn't very welcome in new threads for the KP.
The moderator seems to be egging on the bacon , and velveeta cheese......Please stop this ?
And, some are looking at the relative number of posts in the "will buy" and "will not buy" threads and making some sort of conclusions about KP design.

02-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The number of posts usually seems to be bigger in the protest or satire thread. It is one of the reasons I put my post in the "will buy" thread, even though I am expressing some unfulfilled wishes.

My issues are nits. What I like about this camera is that it is compact and (theoretically) ups the ante on high ISO. This was exactly what led me to get the Kx and put more shutter clicks on it faster than any camera I had owned since the MX 40 years ago. The MX also put high end features in a small package.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-01-2017 at 05:30 AM.
02-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I fell for the K-s1 preorder due to its size, but later revelations showed me that many of the features I use on Pentax bodies were not included.. so I let that preorder go. The KP does not appear to have those issues (at first reading) and it would be the best Pentax I ever used.. though the K3ii is pretty much a draw since I seldom 'do' caves at midnight Two batteries should be good for 800 shots, so two smaller LI190s are a near match for one bulkier LI90.

Still, the budget rules - and my six month, oft-delayed refinance is either dead & buried or about 10 days from completion. Is today an even- or odd-# day? I will watch with enthusiasm however, since that cost almost nothing!
02-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everyone has their own plan and needs. For me, I will probably not buy the K-3 II replacement, which will likely also be at least 4 oz heavier than the KP or my K-S2, and 2 oz heavier than my K-5 IIs, and without a built-in flash. I will continue with my K-5 IIs as my pro style model, as I am delighted with the images it provides me, and I care little about video. The new K-3 II replacement would have to provide something I really need to change my mind. I will be buying the KP for reasons given earlier, and if further contemplating a larger, advanced body as well, I will be looking beyond the K-3 II replacement for a K-1 or its replacement. I would consider that mainly because I already have a sizable collection of very good FF lenses. If I only had a much older Pentax DSLR and wanted a seriously upgraded kit, I would think the KP and K-1 to be a very attractive combo.
02-04-2017, 09:49 AM   #26

The "Why I won't buy the KP" Thread should stick to KP related entries only. It should give the poster's rational reason's or counter arguments only for possible / probable non purchase of a KP. Non KP related entries should be deleted by the Forum's Administrator ASAP. Itis not a "repulsive thread" (see quote). It has in fact raised a number of practical issues / points to ponder before purchase which some readers may not have thought.

One "satire" thread is enough. The "Why I won't buy a K3" thread should be transferred to a forum for non photographic subjects (sorry Otis) with immediate effect.
02-04-2017, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
The "Why I won't buy the KP" Thread should stick to KP related entries only. It should give the poster's rational reason's or counter arguments only for possible / probable non purchase of a KP. Non KP related entries should be deleted by the Forum's Administrator ASAP. Itis not a "repulsive thread" (see quote). It has in fact raised a number of practical issues / points to ponder before purchase which some readers may not have thought.

One "satire" thread is enough. The "Why I won't buy a K3" thread should be transferred to a forum for non photographic subjects (sorry Otis) with immediate effect.
Careful, criticism of the "Why I won't buy a K-3" or anything related to it thread is pretty much against the unwritten forum rules. There may be consequences.

The "Why I won't buy a K-3 " thread is full of images, images of bacon, beer and cheese.
02-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Everyone has their own plan and needs. For me, I will probably not buy the K-3 II replacement, which will likely also be at least 4 oz heavier than the KP or my K-S2, and 2 oz heavier than my K-5 IIs, and without a built-in flash. I will continue with my K-5 IIs as my pro style model, as I am delighted with the images it provides me, and I care little about video. The new K-3 II replacement would have to provide something I really need to change my mind. I will be buying the KP for reasons given earlier, and if further contemplating a larger, advanced body as well, I will be looking beyond the K-3 II replacement for a K-1 or its replacement. I would consider that mainly because I already have a sizable collection of very good FF lenses. If I only had a much older Pentax DSLR and wanted a seriously upgraded kit, I would think the KP and K-1 to be a very attractive combo.

In a lot of ways I agree with you except I will keep using my K3II and passing on whatever the new replacement is in 6 to 12 months (however long it maybe). For a pro-style body the K3II suits me well as does your K5IIs does you. I am almost giddy to get my hands on this bad boy as I learned to shoot with a Program Plus and this KP has more than a few cues paying homage to older film cameras.

If half the hype over the increased performance regarding ISO I will be in heaven.
02-04-2017, 12:43 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

Its a very repulsive thread ...
How dare you?! That thread is a national treasure! We've had calls from UNESCO about world heritage status!

QuoteQuote:
But it seems all of a sudden they are popping up everywhere where it isn't very welcome in new threads for the KP.
As a veteran of that other thread everything I have written in this thread has been strictly on topic (except for this very post), and I have voiced honest technical criticism of the KP. And I don't really see this one being derailed by off-topic talk, it seems very much on-topic to me so far.
02-07-2017, 12:17 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I'm not saying "I will", but I have been thinking ahead to my next body and I have to say this about the KP - I dig it.

I have a couple of film MXs and they remind me just how big and beefy dSLRs have gotten. It's nice to see most of the K3 features and functions into a simple and slimmer design. I'll say it again...I dig it.

I think I would miss the top LCD screen. Maybe not, I'd have to handle one to know. Pentax is having an in-store day at one of our local shops and I'm hoping they bring a demo model. If I do get hands-on, I'll post impressions.