Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2017, 11:19 PM   #31

i'm thinking likely - will rent one in a month or two and see how it feels. the only high ISO pics i've seen looked REALLY great (thanks, pihe !), and if ricoh really did improve autofocus and stabilization as claimed, that would be a big win for me. love the pentax OVFs, and another big plus it has 2 dials. i would have rather had a fully articulated screen, but i can live with a tilting screen - i had one for a couple years on my a6000.

02-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #32

Very disppointed to see that the Camera is not sold with a paper reference manual in the UK. For many it is not a luxury. They are also a lot easier to browse. Smart devices are all very well but you do not always have them to hand. Also what happens when you cannot get a signal?

Looks like I will have add another £10 + to purchase one from Old Timer Cameras when they become available to an already expensive camera. "Perhaps I better think it out again". ("Reviewing the Situation" – Fagin, Oliver the Musical)
02-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
Very disppointed to see that the Camera is not sold with a paper reference manual in the UK. For many it is not a luxury. They are also a lot easier to browse. Smart devices are all very well but you do not always have them to hand. Also what happens when you cannot get a signal?

Looks like I will have add another £10 + to purchase one from Old Timer Cameras when they become available to an already expensive camera. "Perhaps I better think it out again". ("Reviewing the Situation" – Fagin, Oliver the Musical)
I'm a fan of paper manuals too, but you should only have to download the manual once, so signal shouldn't be a huge issue.
02-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
I know, but it has 3 Fx buttons and I'm planning to assign AE Lock to the Fx1 (the one on the mirror box, just above AF mode selector button), and set AF/AE-lock as a AF only button.

Pentax KP - High ISO Samples
Can you do that? One of my gripes gone if you can, as I am a back button AF man

02-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Can you do that? One of my gripes gone if you can, as I am a back button AF man
Yes you can, see pages 102 - 103 in KP operating manual.
02-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
Yes you can, see pages 102 - 103 in KP operating manual.
Thanks, definitely a good idea. My K3 has very limited options for button optimisation (although it does have separate AF and AE-L buttons)
02-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote

I'm used to reading manuals on my computer, and I do not recall reading any camera manual since my K-x. Most features are pretty self-explanatory since I have been in the Pentax system for a while now. Just think, if they do not print manuals, no need to waste resource producing paper, it's better for the environment

02-10-2017, 12:00 AM   #38

i prefer manuals on my computer as they're highly searchable, and you can always bring one along on your phone or print the pages you need.
02-10-2017, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #39
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm most probably not going to buy a KP, but I like what I see (provided that the new front wheel works as well as the old style wheels). If we get a K-3 successor with the same trickle-down of features from the K-1 it will be very hard to resist that one.

Ricoh is on the right track.

02-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #40
Veteran Member

It will replace my k5iis.
My k1 is heavy to carry everywhere and the K3 series also heavy and I didn't like its outputs jpeg file and handling noise.
I like the retro-DSLR look of KP.
Maybe it is not what I waited for as a successor to k01 but its look is nice.
I have many da ltds lenses that they will match the camera well.
02-15-2017, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #41

KP for Street Photography

I'm hoping to purchase a KP, hopefully I will get to see it at the Photography Show in Birmingham UK next month. The KP with the HD Limited lenses looks just as good as the Fuji stuff and at slightly cheaper prices.
02-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derrenhodson Quote
The KP with the HD Limited lenses looks just as good as the Fuji stuff and at slightly cheaper prices.
Truer words were never spoken!
02-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I got to handle one today along with a K1 and a 645z. It was pre-production, so they weren't allowing sample photos to leave the store. I did take a few photos with my phone for size comparison. Sorry for the perspective, I don't usually take pictures with my phone.

KP w/ 40mm 2.8 ltd left ----- My K5ii w/ 70 2.4 ltd right

and here's one with their big brother, the K1

---------- Post added 02-16-17 at 04:02 PM ----------

So impressions:

The KP didn't feel all that much smaller than my K5ii. The K1 didn't feel all that much larger than my K5ii, though both clearly are. I think you'd have to carry one around for a day or a week or pack for a trip before you really appreciated the size difference. (At least based on my experience today)

The KP is well constructed, just like the other two cameras in this shot. I will say this about it. One of the things that I was reminded of holding it, though is what drew me to the K5. I like that the 3 corners of the exposure triangle are all clear and accessible with external controls and without the screen. Because there is no top LCD and because the controls are so customization, they aren't marked and I felt confused holding it as to how to start my process. I'm sure if I owned it I could set it up exactly the way I wanted and never think about it again, but it didn't like home holding it. So, retro aesthetic, but not in that respect retro sensibilities.

Probably something that would just require a little adjustment for me and then never be a problem, but I kept picking up the K1 which wasn't really on my mind before.

Last edited by troika; 02-16-2017 at 04:49 PM.
02-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #44

Photos: Gallery
I've been waiting for the right time to move up from the K-30 and I think the K-P is the ticket.. a nice upgrade in a smaller/lighter package.. and from reviews it should be much quieter as well.. not to mention all the spec upgrades... I think the KP will be a good little camera to last me for awhile... just ordered and should get it by Tues..
02-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #45

Photos: Gallery
I will buy a KP because it produces RAW files in DNG format so that I won't have to upgrade my software.