Veteran Member

Why I WILL buy a KP!

Because look at it, why wouldn't you?

Tell us why you will buy a KP.

01-26-2017, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because it isn't a K3, and I could never get interested in the satirical why I won't buy a K3 thread
01-26-2017, 07:51 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Because it isn't a K3, and I could never get interested in the satirical why I won't buy a K3 thread
That hurts, hurts like a bacon and cheese sandwich without bacon or cheese.
01-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
If the bread is freshly baked, I can deal with that.

I would consider acquiring a KP near the end of this year, if I can get a swell deal.

01-26-2017, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Mrs. Murphy: May I help you boys?
Elwood: You got any white bread?
Mrs. Murphy: Yes.
Elwood: I'll have some toasted white bread please.
Mrs. Murphy: You want butter or jam on that toast, honey?
Elwood: No ma'am, dry.
[Mrs. Murphy gives him a look, then turns to Jake]
Jake: Got any fried chicken?
Mrs. Murphy: Best damn chicken in the state.
Jake: Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke.
Mrs. Murphy: You want chicken wings or chicken legs?
Jake: Four fried chickens and a Coke.
Elwood: And some dry white toast please.
Mrs. Murphy: Y'all want anything to drink with that?
Elwood: No ma'am.
Jake: A Coke.
Mrs. Murphy: Be up in a minute
01-27-2017, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Forum Member

I want to buy KP, because I don't need a pro tier camera (i.e. K-3 II), K-70 lacks some features that I want and K-1 is just plain overkill for me.

After spending 4 years with K-5 II (which is fantastic camera and I don't regret buying it) my requirements boil down to:
  • Compact, at least partially magnesium alloy body - camera body weight is not much of a concern to me, as I'm not intended to pair it with pro grade heavy lenses, but small size is paramount
  • Weather resistance is a must
  • Shutter, aperture, ISO and exposure compensation controls must be easily accessible - if I need to get buried up in menus to change any of those parameters, I don't care how good image quality is
  • Back button AF and AE lock button accessible somewhere on the body - shutter button AF enable does not compute for me, AE lock is important for the way I shoot
  • 100% Pentaprism or quality EVF
  • IBIS
  • Top LCD - checking shooting parameters on the fly is very convinient and allows me to keep back LCD switched off all the time (apart from checking images)
  • Tilty back screen - more than couple of times I've missed opportunities for a great shot, because it required to position camera really low and I wasn't ready to get dirty by crawling on the ground looking in the EVF or back screen
  • WiFi functionality - for remote control (less things to pack or loose when travelling) and image sharing to mobile devices

Things I don't care for:
  • AF tracking - don't shoot BIF or sports
  • Large amount of AF points or their distribution - generally I use centre spot AF with auto metering, spot metering or (gasp!) separate light meter
  • FPS and large buffer - I've used Hi continuous drive mode only couple of times on my K-5 II, just to check how it works
  • On board flash - I have Pentax AF-201FG and it's more than enough for my needs
  • On board GPS

Thus, KP looks like a straightforward upgrade for my K-5 II (I'm loosing top LCD but gain tilty screen and Wi-Fi, a worthy trade-off in my opinion), that when paired with DA 15, DA 21, DA 20-40, DA 70, FA 43 and FA 77 will work great for my shooting style and habit. Hence, I really hope that by the end of the year, I will have necessary cash flow to acquire silver KP with silver DA 20-40.
01-27-2017, 03:13 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
I want to buy KP, because I don't need a pro tier camera (i.e. K-3 II), K-70 lacks some features that I want and K-1 is just plain overkill for me.

After spending 4 years with K-5 II (which is fantastic camera and I don't regret buying it) my requirements boil down to:
  • Compact, at least partially magnesium alloy body - camera body weight is not much of a concern to me, as I'm not intended to pair it with pro grade heavy lenses, but small size is paramount
  • Weather resistance is a must
  • Shutter, aperture, ISO and exposure compensation controls must be easily accessible - if I need to get buried up in menus to change any of those parameters, I don't care how good image quality is
  • Back button AF and AE lock button accessible somewhere on the body - shutter button AF enable does not compute for me, AE lock is important for the way I shoot
  • 100% Pentaprism or quality EVF
  • IBIS
  • Top LCD - checking shooting parameters on the fly is very convinient and allows me to keep back LCD switched off all the time (apart from checking images)
  • Tilty back screen - more than couple of times I've missed opportunities for a great shot, because it required to position camera really low and I wasn't ready to get dirty by crawling on the ground looking in the EVF or back screen
  • WiFi functionality - for remote control (less things to pack or loose when travelling) and image sharing to mobile devices

Things I don't care for:
  • AF tracking - don't shoot BIF or sports
  • Large amount of AF points or their distribution - generally I use centre spot AF with auto metering, spot metering or (gasp!) separate light meter
  • FPS and large buffer - I've used Hi continuous drive mode only couple of times on my K-5 II, just to check how it works
  • On board flash - I have Pentax AF-201FG and it's more than enough for my needs
  • On board GPS

Thus, KP looks like a straightforward upgrade for my K-5 II (I'm loosing top LCD but gain tilty screen and Wi-Fi, a worthy trade-off in my opinion), that when paired with DA 15, DA 21, DA 20-40, DA 70, FA 43 and FA 77 will work great for my shooting style and habit. Hence, I really hope that by the end of the year, I will have necessary cash flow to acquire silver KP with silver DA 20-40.
The KP only has an AF/AE-lock button, not two separate buttons like the flagships...

01-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If it turns in the exceptional high ISO low-noise/detail-preservation the K-70 has been shown to accomplish, along with its superior build quality, better controls, advanced design features, including interchangeable grips and optional battery grip for bigger lenses and having a longer lasting battery, yes I will buy one. It is a lighter weight, premium-build camera that can be converted to larger lens use, and designed for advanced photographers who like to do a lot of trekking or cycling, or have need for lighter carrying as an option. In this purpose, it should go great with small Limited primes or the compact Limited WR zoom lens.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-27-2017 at 03:52 PM.
01-28-2017, 01:18 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
The KP only has an AF/AE-lock button, not two separate buttons like the flagships...
I know, but it has 3 Fx buttons and I'm planning to assign AE Lock to the Fx1 (the one on the mirror box, just above AF mode selector button), and set AF/AE-lock as a AF only button.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
If it turns in the exceptional high ISO low-noise/detail-preservation the K-70 has been shown to accomplish
Pentax KP - High ISO Samples
01-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I want to compliment your effort.

However, even though you used CAPS for a portion of your thread title, the 'why i won't' thread is outpacing this thread 10:1 :^(

It is easy to see interests lie in expressing discontent.
To keep things positive, maybe future 'why i won't buy' threads could be titled 'Why I Will buy any camera other than a PENTAX'

'won't' is so depressing :^)
01-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The camera looks very interesting.

Since I undertake microadventures with my dog that start from dawn to late evenings and since I avail of any wildlife photography situation that comes my way, I think KP can very easily be a camera for shots where one shouldn't be using flash, e.g. for the nocturnal animals (I routinely see bears, coyotes, owls, bats, skunks, raccoons, even weasels and martens, etc.), at museums, at zoos, etc. KP can easily expedite handing over my K-S2 to my son, who currently uses my K-r.
01-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
Forum Member

Is this the place for a "Buy a K3 or KP?" question. It's an interesting trade, especially since the K3 and K3ii are $300 lower in price.
01-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm not going to lie, I kind of want one. I think the silver body would look awesome with my silver 40mm Limited, and it would be nice to have a smaller, lighter body to carry around. On the other time, I'm not in the market for a new body-- I'm going to use my two K-3's until I either keep running up hard against their technical limitations, or one of them bites the dust. Still, I'm glad that an option like this is out there.
01-31-2017, 07:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am very interested in the KP to fill the niche in my kit formerly occupied by the Kx as a second body and compact travel option. When traveling, I like to carry one bigger camera (now the K1) when I know I will be focused on photography, and a smaller one to carry just about everywhere else. Having gotten spoiled to 24mp, right now that means a K1 plus a K3.

My only reservation initially is that the KP does not take the LI90 battery. Having to carry two different chargers if one carries the K1 or K3 plus KP is an annoyance. With the Kx, you could just buy some AA batteries. Perhaps I have missed it on recent models, but I would like to see the ability to charge the battery in the camera through the usb port, the way Sony E-mount cameras operate. Being able to charge the camera from the same adapter as your tablet and phone is a real convenience.
01-31-2017, 10:43 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I am very interested in the KP to fill the niche in my kit formerly occupied by the Kx as a second body and compact travel option. When traveling, I like to carry one bigger camera (now the K1) when I know I will be focused on photography, and a smaller one to carry just about everywhere else. Having gotten spoiled to 24mp, right now that means a K1 plus a K3.

My only reservation initially is that the KP does not take the LI90 battery. Having to carry two different chargers if one carries the K1 or K3 plus KP is an annoyance. With the Kx, you could just buy some AA batteries. Perhaps I have missed it on recent models, but I would like to see the ability to charge the battery in the camera through the usb port, the way Sony E-mount cameras operate. Being able to charge the camera from the same adapter as your tablet and phone is a real convenience.
You could take the KP plus the battery grip. To save on weight, you can even leave out the KP's batteries and just bring LI90s, as the grip supports both styles and should power the camera even without an internal battery.