Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 82 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #61

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The K3 II is at the end of its life cycle. It will not be widely available by the end of the summer. It is a mistake to look at the pricing of a camera towards the end of its life cycle and compare it to a newly released camera with regard to price. The K3 II is priced as low as it will go, while the KP is still on its MSRP.

At the same time, I do think Pentax built this camera to a target price point and put certain things in and left others out to meet that price.

Be that as it may, I wouldn't really expect Pentax to release a retro camera, but rather continue to tweak existing designs.
I understand the K-3 ii will soon be replaced, but it has a shutter life of 200,000. That makes it a huge bargain on the used market one the replacement comes out. Wonderful as it will be I am sure, the K-3 ii becomes even more compelling if you can pick up a nice one for 500 euros or less. (I currently have a K5 and a K5iis. I am looking to replace one of them, but it will be with either a K-3ii or a K-70 - not a KP at that price.)

Last edited by plooksta; 01-29-2017 at 12:31 PM.
01-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You know, I can't really complain about that. It kind of solves the lack of top LCD issue.
01-29-2017, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
(I currently have a K5 and a K5iis. I am looking to replace one of them, but it will be with either a K-3ii or a K-70 - not a KP at that price.)
Then K70/K3ii is the camera for you, for others it will be KP and for others still it will be the K3ii successor. In other words something for everyone, and that's exactly the point.
01-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
The KP's styling is an apology for the K-S1. It's as far the opposite direction as you can go, even though they are both products of similar category: compact mid-range DSLRs.

Pentax have never done a retro camera. They don't know how. I don't think they can. They sort of tried with the MX-1, but it didn't really look much like any vintage camera and certainly didn't operate anything like one. They sort of seemed to try with the Q-S1, but the result was just a Q7 that took a few hard whacks from the ugly stick. The K-1 and KP both seem to have a few "design language" hints of past film cameras, but the outcome seems more homely than nostalgic, and again the control schemes are just wacky.

It's quite a contrast against Fujifilm, who do retro like they really mean it.
Oh? Pentax invented the Japanese SLR, they were pioneering what you now call "retro"; and they're responsible for much of its progress to the current, modern form.

I find the current Pentax interface much, much superior to any fake retro camera's like whatever Fuji or the Nikon Df. It's very fast and comfortable to operate while keeping the camera to your eye.

01-29-2017, 01:54 PM - 2 Likes   #65
Forum Member

What I mean is this...

How do you input 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV changes with this type of layout? With front and back control wheels? What's the point of shutter speed and ISO input wheels then?
How do you select your custom U(ser) modes or get into Av mode or Hyper Program?
01-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not "wishing for a redo of the K500" btw. Is the K-01 "retro"? I'd have called it avant garde. Obviously there are different interpretations of what it means. What I mean is this...
Pretty damned sexy camera. The more I look the more tempted I get. Might even get a 20~40 and DA*300 too.

Just becnause they'd go so well with this KP.
01-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
How do you input 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV changes with this type of layout? With front and back control wheels? What's the point of shutter speed and ISO input wheels then?
How do you select your custom U(ser) modes or get into Av mode or Hyper Program?
I was wondering that too. How easy is it to get into a multiple exposure mode (which I have user 1 set for in my camera) or pixel shift mode (which I have User 2 set for)? How easy is it to set anything other than the specific settings that are listed on those dials?

I do use TAv mode a lot -- a mode that wasn't possible in the days where you iso was whatever film speed you had in your camera -- and it feels like it would be a lot harder with this interface, while with any current Pentax SLRs you spin front and back dials and have your shutter and aperture selected and then you iso floats to cover your shutter speed. Looks kind of hard with this interface as well.

01-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #68

btw. Is the K-01 "retro"? I'd have called it avant garde.
Yeah, it's retro. It's reminiscent of the disposable single use film cameras of the 80s.
01-29-2017, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #69
Veteran Member

How do those of us with reading glasses read the small print on Fuji dials? Nah.... the past is the past ...give me an attractive younger thing anyday.... now off to a Lerolls post for me.....
01-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a few cents-worth to throw into the discussion...

I guess 'retro' can refer to two design aspects -- the physical appearance and the functionality. I'm not sure what 'full retro' means.

I have always liked the physical looks of classic rangefinder cameras (say, the Olympus 35SP or Canon QL-series), and find that some of the recent Fuji mirrorless cameras reflect those lines. So, on that basis, I find the Fuji's to be quite attractive.

However, I really like the user interface of the Pentax cameras (I use the K-3 II). All of the main exposure settings may be controlled with the right-hand fingers, without having to lose the viewfinder image or contort the hand to the left side of the camera. Furthermore, large lenses can be supported with the left hand while making those exposure adjustments. With a simple push of a button -- applied readily through muscle memory -- one can control ISO, plus/minus EV, AE-lock, or focus. Only two dials and several buttons are needed. The settings may be seen through the viewfinder, or one can glance at the top LCD, which has the key settings clustered in a small display that is easy to interpret. The two e-dials are also useful to adjust other settings; the multipurpose control saves space and reduces complexity.

I think the Pentax models reflect superb functional design, while some of the other 'retro' cameras are weaker in crucial human-factors characteristics. I'll take functionality over looks; fortunately, I find that the K-3, K-1 and KP lines are 'handsome' as well.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-29-2017 at 05:17 PM.
01-29-2017, 05:19 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think retro is less convenient to change settings. Pentax has used the same interface since the K10. Having two control wheels is really all you need when you use modes like Av, Tv and TAv. Front dial adjusts shutter speed, rear dial adjusts aperture. You can do the whole thing with your eye on the viewfinder and adjust shutter speed very quickly.

You don't have to use the buttons on the camera body if you don't want to, but things like pixel shift, multiple exposure, and different drive mode/white balance settings are very easy to access through these. I do wonder how easy it is to put your Fuji camera into multiple exposure and set the spacing of the images.

The biggest problem to me with the retro way of doing things is that it is different. Pentax has tweaked things over time, but they actually have left most things the same between generations of camera. Meaning that if you have used a K5 and pick up a K-1 you can use it without looking at the manual in ten seconds. Your hand will have to learn some new muscle memory techniques as buttons are slightly different with regard to placement, but they are still there and function the same way between generations of the cameras.
If you've been around cameras longer than 15 or so years, "retro" is like meeting an old friend that you haven't seen for a very long time.
Pick up a Fuji XT-1 or XT-2. If you've ever used a full mode film camera, the Fuji is one of the most ergonomic interfaces you could ask for.
01-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #72

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
I think essentially with this type of departure you would have to make certain compromises.
01-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Just a few cents-worth to throw into the discussion...

I guess 'retro' can refer to two design aspects -- the physical appearance and the functionality. I'm not sure what 'full retro' means.

I have always liked the physical looks of classic rangefinder cameras (say, the Olympus 35SP or Canon QL-series), and find that some of the recent Fuji mirrorless cameras reflect those lines. So, on that basis, I find the Fuji's to be quite attractive.

However, I really like the user interface of the Pentax cameras (I use the K-3 II). All of the main exposure settings may be controlled with the right-hand fingers, without having to lose the viewfinder image or contort the hand to the left side of the camera. Furthermore, large lenses can be supported with the left hand while making those exposure adjustments. With a simple push of a button -- applied readily through muscle memory -- one can control ISO, plus/minus EV, AE-lock, or focus. Only two dials and several buttons are needed. The settings may be seen through the viewfinder, or one can glance at the top LCD, which has the key settings clustered in a small display that is easy to interpret. The two e-dials are also useful to adjust other settings; the multipurpose control saves space and reduces complexity.

I think the Pentax models reflect superb functional design, while some of the other 'retro' cameras are weaker in crucial human-factors characteristics. I'll take functionality over looks; fortunately, I find that the K-3, K-1 and KP lines are 'handsome' as well.

- Craig
OK, here is my Canon QL19, truly simple "retro", and attractive in its simplicity.
There are no controls on sides or back.
The bottom has button to release film for rewind.
The top has wind lever and rewind crank.
All real controls are on the lens barrel - shutter speed {9 options including "B"}, ASA {ISO}, aperture, and focusing.

In order to set anything I had to hold camera down away from my head, find the correct ring, and set the value {ASA involved pressing funky "button" on opposite side of the lens from reading}

Maybe others want primitive level of control, but I am totally satisfied with what my K-30 provides.

01-29-2017, 06:00 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In order to set anything I had to hold camera down away from my head, find the correct ring, and set the value {ASA involved pressing funky "button" on opposite side of the lens from reading}
Now days, I need to add a preface to this, that goes like..... bugga, need those glasses again, check shirt pocket...no.... check pants pocket....no.... bugga... left them in the car.... walk back to car...bugga... not there.... back to action scene lcation... of course everthing is still waiting for me.... give up changing setting..... lift camera to eye.... camera gets caught in glasses.... bugga.... they where tucked into my shirt collar all along..... ahhh.... give up.... as topless woman has put her top back on.
01-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you've been around cameras longer than 15 or so years, "retro" is like meeting an old friend that you haven't seen for a very long time.
Pick up a Fuji XT-1 or XT-2. If you've ever used a full mode film camera, the Fuji is one of the most ergonomic interfaces you could ask for.
They can't possibly be aiming only at long time photographers, that's just cutting down your already small share of the market.