Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 82 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
Yes. Maybe it's just me. I like as few variables hanging as possible. I don't like having to check if the little asterisk is on or not. It's another factor that I could mess up.
I can see that being an issue sometimes, you're right. Maybe in a hectic commercial environment with limited time it's easier just to set the exposure and do not worry about the asterisk.

02-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #137

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This is for the auto modes. If you are in Av or Tv mode and you hit the iso button followed by the green button it shifts you to auto iso. I don't think most folks use auto iso in manual mode, but I could be wrong.
Oh, i see.

To bad. Here's what i would have loved: In M mode, when i press the iso button and then the green button, the camera sets the iso to the value that gives the correct exposure with the T and A settings that i have. AutoISO on demand, basically.
02-07-2017, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Oh, i see.

To bad. Here's what i would have loved: In M mode, when i press the iso button and then the green button, the camera sets the iso to the value that gives the correct exposure with the T and A settings that i have. AutoISO on demand, basically.
You don't need to do all that. Just select TAv mode and enter your shutter and aperture values. The camera sets the proper ISO, with EV Comp if selected.
02-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Oh, i see.

As Dan (Audiobomber) says, TAv mode is basically manual with auto iso. That is what I would use in those situations.

02-08-2017, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #140

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
You don't need to do all that. Just select TAv mode and enter your shutter and aperture values. The camera sets the proper ISO, with EV Comp if selected.
Thank you audiobomber :-) and you're right, only I don't like when the camera measures exposure constantly and changes values constantly. I use the green button in M mode, because it gives me automatic exposure ONCE, when i ask for it, and after that leaves the settings alone. (I have the camera set so the green button changes the time value according to my aperture)

To take things further, what i would really like is somewhat a combination of this and Hyper Mode:
- green button when you last turned the aperture dial: automatically sets the time
- green button when you last turend the time dial: automatically sets the aperture
- green button after you press the iso button: automatically sets the iso so it matches your current time and aperture values

For me, with the green button, i get the convenience of auto exposure, but not constantly (which feels to me like somebody working behind my back), but instead only the moment i ask for it. The above proposal would, for me, be a consistent implementation of that. I would stay in full control like in M mode AND could speed up the process of setting correct exposure.
02-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #141

Original Poster
So anyway, I ordered a K-3 ii today. I guess I won't be needing a KP
02-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wait......10 pages of how the KP is not retro or edgy enough and then you go and buy the rather 'conventional' K-3ii.

Maybe Ricoh does know what they are doing after all

Congrats on the new camera!

02-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You said,

QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta:
In short a KP with shutter, EC and ISO dials would be close to being my dream camera.
Isn't a K-3ii farther away from that dream?
02-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #144
Veteran Member

Congrats the K3II is a great value for the performance it delivers. Awesome choice!

I might be slightly biased as I have a K3II as well, with my second body becoming a KP. Have 1,000 frames on mine and have it enjoyed it a ton for the 900 price tag it can't be beat. My dad who got me into photography even snapped one up!
02-14-2017, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #145

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
You said,

Isn't a K-3ii farther away from that dream?

Aha, yes, well spotted. Thanks for paying attention! But, you see I have to be pragmatic. The price I got the k-3 ii for is ridiculous - way lower than I would pay for a KP

---------- Post added 02-14-17 at 05:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Wait......10 pages of how the KP is not retro or edgy enough and then you go and buy the rather 'conventional' K-3ii.

Maybe Ricoh does know what they are doing after all

Congrats on the new camera!

Well, you are quite right, but it's about the bottom line in this case. The price was irresistible. I'll be shedding a K-5.

---------- Post added 02-14-17 at 05:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Congrats the K3II is a great value for the performance it delivers. Awesome choice!

I might be slightly biased as I have a K3II as well, with my second body becoming a KP. Have 1,000 frames on mine and have it enjoyed it a ton for the 900 price tag it can't be beat. My dad who got me into photography even snapped one up!
Thanks, I look forward to trying it out. Particularly the GPS - I'm so sick of not knowing where photos were taken. And the flu card - interested to see how it works.

And if I seem inconsistent, well, I've just ordered a nice old MX as well

Last edited by plooksta; 02-14-2017 at 06:50 PM.
02-14-2017, 06:16 PM   #146

Looks somewhat "full retro" to me:
Pentax MX-1 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
02-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #147

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

What I meant by "retro" was in reference to the exposure controls. Body styling is secondary.
02-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #148
Veteran Member

Aha, yes, well spotted. Thanks for paying attention! But, you see I have to be pragmatic. The price I got the k-3 ii for is ridiculous - way lower than I would pay for a KP

---------- Post added 02-14-17 at 05:52 PM ----------

Well, you are quite right, but it's about the bottom line in this case. The price was irresistible. I'll be shedding a K-5.

---------- Post added 02-14-17 at 05:54 PM ----------

Thanks, I look forward to trying it out. Particularly the GPS - I'm so sick of not knowing where photos were taken. And the flu card - interested to see how it works.

And if I seem inconsistent, well, I've just ordered a nice old MX as well
I haven't had a chance to use GPS or the Flu card yet, it is however a joy to shoot with and has great ergonomics. Enjoy it!
02-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #149
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pretty Retro if you ask me:
02-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Pretty Retro if you ask me:
The rounder corners give it more of an '00s feel IMO, rather than the '50s style like the AP has. Less ugly, though haha.