Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #1

What the Pentax KP should have looked like

In my most humble opinion, this is objectively the truth.

The thing that I hate about ALL modern DSLRs is how ugly the pentaprism housings look. Everytime I see a Pentax camera with a tiny limited lens, it looks absolutely hideous. The nameplate being so high makes it look like it has a humongous forehead. Worse yet, they stick out so far to the front (no one notices how ugly this looks?!). Yet no one ever points this out, and I'm scared to point it out lest my vanity be revealed to the world. However, the Pentax KP nearly hit the nail on the head design-wise and it has inspired me to make a small edit in MS PAINT. I trust the Japanese, with their unique sense of aesthetic, will come around to the same design choices! Who doesn't want a baby 67?!

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by adjutant; 02-04-2017 at 06:49 PM.
01-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #2

Funny thing about the pentaprisms on digital cameras is you can make them almost any shape you want, esp. if there is no flash. The actual prisms inside are tiny compared to the bump.
01-28-2017, 02:35 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry , but , you will have problem mounting lens on the first one. You need space up
01-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Between the two images, it seems to me that the edited one actually emphasizes the pyramid shape up top even more.

01-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The front view looks nice, but a practical design would have to provide

(1) adequate clearance above the mount

(2) a flatish area on top for the hot shoe

(3) mechanism to hold the OnBoard Flash
01-28-2017, 05:28 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Design wise, FWIW I think Ricoh-Pentax did a great job for the KP. Now what a I need is 1100 USD to get it. Will see by May.
01-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Design wise, FWIW I think Ricoh-Pentax did a great job for the KP. Now what a I need is 1100 USD to get it. Will see by May.
Agreed
I haven't want a camera this bad since the K-30 was introduced.

01-28-2017, 11:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I kind of more sad that the grip doesn't have that overhang any more. I think it's pretty comfy.
01-28-2017, 11:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It's really just a matter of personal preference but, for me, the flat-top shape of the pentaprism housing (when viewed from front or rear) of the K-S2 and K-70 looks better than the angular top of the KP.

I presume a larger than perhaps necessary size of the pentaprism housing also gives a taller on-board flash unit, so that its illumination gets past the bigger lenses.

Philip

Last edited by MrB1; 01-28-2017 at 11:48 PM.
01-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adjutant Quote

... The nameplate being so high makes it look like it has a humongous forehead. ...
Rather than a big forehead, I see a surprised look; the camera's eyebrow is raised in shock. I like the look of your drawing.

Sigma don't want to make lenses for us so it don't matter if they lenses fit or not. I say lower the brow. :^)

Onaside note, I have read the KP is only a little smaller than the K3 and this is true with respect to strict measurement. However, there is less camera under the mount of the KP so any camera bit equaling the height of the K3 is only the pointy K head.

I wonder if they could have reduced the size of the point on top and had a noticeably different height.. perhaps, but maybe they thought it was more important to continue the style of the K-1. Either way, I think the KP is still practically smaller than K-3
01-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Sorry , but , you will have problem mounting lens on the first one. You need space up
As long as it does not protrude far to the front, there's no problem. Why do modern DSLR pentaprism housings stick out so far to the front? Clearly it's not entirely necessary since the Nikon Df is the only DSLR I know where it doesn't stick out over the lens like an awning. Do people actually like how that looks?

That slope sticking out right above the lens mount is more offensive to lens mounting considerations than a lowered nameplate.
01-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Their a standard for K lenses of minimum clearance . This was discuss before . Your for sure is not meeting the minimum. If you dont meet that minimum , your drawing is wort nothing.
01-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

... stick out over the lens like an awning. ...
So the flash can stick up higher, maybe.
But the cameras with no flash still have the cro-magnon brow...
... That slope sticking out right above the lens mount is more offensive to lens mounting considerations than a lowered nameplate.
I imagine so.
01-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #14

Or like this...

Phooaaar, I almost had an accident....
Attached Images

01-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
Or like this...

Phooaaar, I almost had an accident....
Now, this is a good idea!

I do admit the top of the camera looks nice with the retro dials and the two traditional command dials remain so it is a simple matter to ignore both the full stops only shutter speed dial and the ISO dial that requires a shift of the grip for it to be used.

rippin' !! :^)

+ of course, the retro dials will still serve a purpose.. they can be twiddled to set exposure mode. then, the user can get to business with the two command dials. this really is a good combo of retro look [& setting mode] + practicality [adjusting exposure without shifting grip]

Last edited by Tan68; 01-29-2017 at 11:07 AM.