Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 01:53 AM - 29 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Brief hands-on impressions of KP

I went to Ricoh Imaging Square in Tokyo today, because I had feeling they would have a pre-production KP there. Fortunately, my trip wasn't wasted. They had a black one on display, and I was able to have a few minutes with it. I didn't try to evaluate image quality, but I'll give my impressions about the feel of the camera.

Overall, I didn't have any big surprises. The camera is pretty much what it looks to be - a shrunken K-3. It doesn't really give off a strong feeling of "retro". Like DPR said about the design of the K-1, the word "classic" is probably more fitting. Also, while it's smaller than the K-3, it doesn't feel a lot smaller, and you certainly aren't going to mistake this camera for a mirrorless camera, even one of the bigger ones.

Build quality
The build quality is basically the same as my point of reference, the K5iis. It's very solid metal, and definitely not like the K-50/K-70 level cameras. The only part that doesn't feel as strong is the tilt screen, which has clearly been designed for thinness. The good thing is that it closes very flat against the rear of the camera.

Ergonomics
It had the small grip attached. The camera is not that thin, so there is plenty to grip on to. I think it's just right for a lens liked the DA 20-40, which was attached. For front heavy lenses, the large grip will be preferable. The vertically oriented front dial is easy to use too. Given the position of the shutter button and the shape of the grip, your index finger is in a more vertical position than with the K-5/K-3, so the wheel is the right way round.

Shutter sound
The shutter sound is like the K-3, not the clattery sound of the cheaper models. I was able to compare directly. It's a nice shutter feeling, especially when going at 7fps.

SR in video mode
Finally, I asked about IBIS in video mode, because I thought the wording on Ricoh's web page was a bit ambiguous. Unfortunately, it's still digital, and not using sensor shift.

Overall, I thought it was a very nice camera, but one very much in the same DNA as previous Pentax bodies. I think too much has been made of the retro looks and small size. It's not that controversial. I have a feeling that when I get around to buying a replacement for my K-5iis, this is probably the one that will be right for me. But I've got lenses on my wish list before that.

Last edited by JPT; 01-29-2017 at 02:25 AM.
01-29-2017, 02:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting.
01-29-2017, 02:59 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice report. Thank You.
01-29-2017, 03:54 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks, JPT!

01-29-2017, 05:16 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the report - a very encouraging appraisal. I'm looking forward to seeing RAW samples at various ISO settings, particularly those from 6400 and higher. My guess is we can hope for at least an incremental improvement on the already-promising K-70 in that regard, which would place it very much at the top end of APS-C cameras.
01-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The build quality is basically the same as my point of reference, the K5iis.

The vertically oriented front dial is easy to use too.

The shutter sound is like the K-3, not the clattery sound of the cheaper models. I was able to compare directly.

Overall, I thought it was a very nice camera, but one very much in the same DNA as previous Pentax bodies. I think too much has been made of the retro looks and small size.
Excellent news and thanks for posting this, looks like KP is my next Pentax camera.
01-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for sharing your first hand report.

Since I undertake microadventures with my dog that start from dawn to late evenings and avail of any wildlife photography situation that comes my way, I think KP can very easily be a camera for shots where one shouldn't be using flash, e.g. for the nocturnal animals (I routinely see bears, coyotes, owls, bats, skunks, raccoons, even weasels and martens, etc.), at museums, at zoos, etc. KP can easily expedite handing over my K-S2 to my son, who currently uses my K-r.

01-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for making the effort to visit the Ricoh place and giving us an initial hands-on overview. It's good to hear your positive report.

- Craig
01-29-2017, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am thinking more and more that this will nicely compliment, or even eventually replace, my K-3. As part of a travel kit (with smaller lenses) it should fit the bill beautifully.
01-29-2017, 06:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I am thinking more and more that this will nicely compliment, or even eventually replace, my K-3. As part of a travel kit (with smaller lenses) it should fit the bill beautifully.
It becomes a choice - $1,200 (with tax) for KP mid-range small camera to only supplement K-1 or a lens.
01-29-2017, 08:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks, JPT!

One question from me: will someone with large hands find this comfortable to use without the battery grip? I'm curious how much purchase there is for the pinky finger. Once you tack on the battery grip, I get the impression that compactness is no longer a central point of the camera.
01-29-2017, 08:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thank you for that short review, great new. Now , I just imagine what the next flagship could bring.
01-30-2017, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #13
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Thanks, JPT!

One question from me: will someone with large hands find this comfortable to use without the battery grip? I'm curious how much purchase there is for the pinky finger. Once you tack on the battery grip, I get the impression that compactness is no longer a central point of the camera.
I don't think you little finger would have much grip at all. Look at the pictures of the camera and see how the shutter release button sits right on top, and not slanted forward on the grip. It means that your finger will have to be in a more upright position, with your other fingers curled around. I quite like that. I have an MZ-3 and it feels similar. However, I think if you prefer the grip to really fill the palm of your hand, this is not going to be ideal. I'm a bit sceptical about the large grip, because even if it gives you some more purchase, it won't change the position of the shutter release.

One experiment would be to pick up another camera (like a K-5) and put your finger where the KP shutter release would be (somewhere on the top LCD in the case of the K-5). You'll quickly realize that you would have to hold he KP quite differently.
01-30-2017, 06:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks again, JPT. If I read you correctly then the shooting ergonomics should be similar to my old K1000.
01-30-2017, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I don't think you little finger would have much grip at all.
The appropriate place for one's little finger is curled under the camera...at least that is where mine always ends up.

Steve

(...even on BIG cameras...)