Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #106
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, which of these do you actually use??
Some of cameras of 2007 year could track flying ball or running dog, for example. Which Pentax camera does the same in 2017?

AF-S with central point is my shooting daily routine for 12 years of using Pentax. Sidestep is fiasco.
I use Pentax only because of FA Limited and no money for another system.

03-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, which of these do you actually use??
I wonder that too. I am not saying he doesn't make a good point that Pentax has some room to grow/improve... But 27 autofocus points is enough for me and certainly not the sky is falling, it needs to be changed ASAP because it is so bad either.
03-07-2017, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

The Antagonist

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Blessed are those who believe

Far superior is AF of Nikon D500. K-3 is just a bit better. Taste the difference.
Well for starters it's not just about belief. I know from personal experience that the K3 focusses a lot better than my K5.

Second, I only said the K3 focusses far better than the K5 and from my perspective it does. Maybe not you but for me, definitely.

Never at any point did I say it was better than a Nikon and I never mentioned the D500. Needless to say the D500 is circa $900 - $1000 more expensive than a K3 so you should be getting something for your money.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. This thread is meant to be about the KP and its AF.

Last edited by howieb101; 03-07-2017 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Correct typo
03-07-2017, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #109
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
I wonder that too. I am not saying he doesn't make a good point that Pentax has some room to grow/improve... But 27 autofocus points is enough for me and certainly not the sky is falling, it needs to be changed ASAP because it is so bad either.
As someone who routinely uses only the centre point, and very seldom the others, I'd say 27 is almost always 26 more than I use!

03-07-2017, 02:08 AM - 3 Likes   #110
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Pentax only because of FA Limited and no money for another system.
Well, at least you're getting some benefit from your Pentax equipment in terms of the FA Limited lenses.

As for you wanting another system, the vast majority of us here are in a different position - we're generally very satisfied with our Pentax cameras. As such, we're likely to be pleased with incremental improvements from new Pentax models (regardless of how they compare to the competition) because we're still fully behind the system. In the same way, you're more likely to be dismissive of those improvements because, in effect, you've already decided that you'd rather have another system if finances allowed. To coin one of your earlier phrases, "It's psychology"

I'm looking forward to seeing what the KP can do. No doubt it'll be even better than the K-3 and K-3II on which I so happily depend
03-07-2017, 05:49 AM   #111
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
, "It's psychology"
It's laziness. I will buy new camera from Pentax only with absolutely new AF system.
03-07-2017, 05:53 AM - 3 Likes   #112
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's laziness. I will buy new camera from Pentax only with absolutely new AF system.
You miss my point. The psychology is, you won't be satisfied with incremental improvements because you're already dissatisfied with Pentax to an extent where you'd rather have another system. The majority of us will be satisfied with those improvements because we're already pretty happy with the performance of our cameras, getting great use from them right now and have no desire to switch. We're looking at things from a different perspective, you see

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-07-2017 at 07:55 AM.
03-07-2017, 04:45 PM - 2 Likes   #113
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You miss my point. The psychology is, you won't be satisfied with incremental improvements because you're already dissatisfied with Pentax to an extent where you'd rather have another system. The majority of us will be satisfied with those improvements because we're already pretty happy with the performance of our cameras, getting great use from them right now and have no desire to switch. We're looking at things from a different perspective, you see
Well said Mike. I think your assessment is spot on.
03-07-2017, 05:12 PM - 2 Likes   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
As someone who routinely uses only the centre point, and very seldom the others, I'd say 27 is almost always 26 more than I use!
I agree both my K3II and KP are set to the center point.

---------- Post added 03-07-17 at 06:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well said Mike. I think your assessment is spot on.
I agree as well!
03-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #115
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You did not shoot with another brand of DSLR, for sure. If you did, 7D for example, you'd have realize that AFC is sort of inaccurate by construction, and not at all as accurate as AFS, regardless the brand. Find someone who can lent you a 7D, and play with its AI servo mode FPS prio. That may be a revelation.
03-08-2017, 06:11 AM   #116
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You did not shoot with another brand of DSLR, for sure. If you did, 7D for example, you'd have realize that AFC is sort of inaccurate by construction, and not at all as accurate as AFS, regardless the brand. Find someone who can lent you a 7D, and play with its AI servo mode FPS prio. That may be a revelation.
Mistake. I did it. I even had Canon and Sony.
I'd like to see phase detect AF system in new Pentax of the level of last Sony and Panasonic cameras.
03-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #117

How is it possible to only use the centre AF point? I can only think of by using focus and then recompose, leading to your subject being out of focus.
03-08-2017, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #118
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MalH Quote
How is it possible to only use the centre AF point? I can only think of by using focus and then recompose, leading to your subject being out of focus.
Yes, focus and recompose. Unless you're using a very fast lens wide open, or your subject is extremely close (and hence the depth of field is especially shallow), it rarely results in the subject being out of focus. But you do have to develop your technique to make sure you don't move the camera backwards or forwards significantly when you recompose. Back-button AF is the best setup for this, as you can focus, then recompose and press the shutter button again without causing the camera to re-focus.

I use this approach for the majority of my own photography... I'm fussy about focus accuracy, and I have very few problems
03-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #119
ogl
Banned

To put the new lens to the test, we put it on a K-3 II (equipped with the latest v1.10 firmware) and attempted to capture an energetic young dog in motion at a local park. Unfortunately, despite ideal shooting conditions—bright, with nothing in between us and the dog to confuse the AF system—the pair struggled to achieve consistently sharp results. In fact, most were far out of focus.

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Here is the level of Pentax AF system
03-08-2017, 09:42 AM - 4 Likes   #120
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

[I]Here is the level of Pentax AF system
Nope, here is one aspect of one camera's AF performance (and a K-70 at that, with SAFOX X auto-focus straight from the K-5II & IIs) with one specific lens in the hands of one individual. You're jumping on that as blanket proof that the entire AF system for all Pentax DSLR models is bad, because it's what you now believe (your conclusion from that review is called "confirmation bias" - to use a psychology term ). But, that doesn't make it so.

Go take a look at all the great birds in flight, motorsports, ball sports, and other moving subject photography on these forums to see what can be done when you learn to work with a specific camera's AF system.

Pentax AF.C could be better, yes. But many, many photographers get fantastic results from the K-3, K-3II, K-70, K-1 and earlier cameras. If they can do it, anyone who puts in the time and effort to learn their camera's AF peculiarities can potentially achieve the same results

It'll be interesting to see how the KP does with AF.C in the hands of skilled photographers...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-08-2017 at 09:56 AM.