Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2017, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #121
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, focus and recompose. Unless you're using a very fast lens wide open, or your subject is extremely close (and hence the depth of field is especially shallow), it rarely results in the subject being out of focus. But you do have to develop your technique to make sure you don't move the camera backwards or forwards significantly when you recompose. Back-button AF is the best setup for this, as you can focus, then recompose and press the shutter button again without causing the camera to re-focus.

I use this approach for the majority of my own photography... I'm fussy about focus accuracy, and I have very few problems
With my SFX and SFXn that was the only way to do it, because the camera only had one focus point. To make matters worse, it was not a + point, so you had to turn the camera to vertical to have it focus on some subjects. So used to it now to focus and recompose that it's become the most natural thing in the world!

03-08-2017, 02:28 PM - 2 Likes   #122
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Here is the level of Pentax AF system
And here's the level of the Pentax AF system. Whether football or cricket or motor racing or cycling. I have had no problem with focussing with my K-5.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #123
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And here's the level of the Pentax AF system. Whether football or cricket or motor racing or cycling. I have had no problem with focussing with my K-5.
The samples are not informative The IQ is low.
And I can make such photos with manual lens. It's not the work of AF. Not tracking possibility. Just catch the moment.

Man, I had my first camera in 1979.
03-09-2017, 01:07 AM - 3 Likes   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You trust the words in the DA55-300 PLM article because they support your wider belief about sub-standard Pentax AF, but you won't trust a long-standing member of the forums whose shots suggest otherwise? That merely confirms what I've been saying - you've already made your mind up, and no-one is going to convince you, even with evidence.

And I can make such photos with manual lens. It's not the work of AF. Not tracking possibility. Just catch the moment.
I don't believe that's the case with Mark's photos, and I'd trust him to tell us if that were so. But to follow your line of argument, you can pre-focus and "catch the moment" in any number of scenarios. It's one of many techniques photographers use to get a higher hit-rate on moving subjects. Nikon, Canon and Sony photographers use it too - or do you assume that all of their photos are in focus because of better AF.C performance?

With all due respect, Boris, if you're still having problems getting the results you want from Pentax AF.C after 38 years, I'd say you really would be better off with a different system. In the mean-time, I hope you can see past the difficulties and enjoy what you have for now.

We've de-railed this thread enough, so I'll leave the discussion there - and wait eagerly to see what AF improvements the KP brings

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-09-2017 at 03:12 AM.
03-09-2017, 02:17 AM - 3 Likes   #125
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, the cyclist was coming toward me at 65-70km/h. I'd love to see you catch that cyclist in focus with a manual lens. Well, I suppose you could, but you'd have to be very, very lucky. The kids were moving pretty quickly too - but obviously not 65+km/h. I have many examples of good focus shots and I reduce size of the images to post on PF. None of the examples used here were prefocused on any specific position. I'm simply relying on the camera to obtain focus using the AF system.

So, here's another bunch of cyclists, moving pretty quickly. These guys are going at about 50-55km/h.

First up, a shrunk image, of the whole photo. Next a full size crop of the original photo. Not sure if pixel peeping is the way to go, but oh well.... I think the detail and the focus is pretty OK.

Now, I'd love to get my hands on a K-1 or a KP. I'm pretty sure those cameras will both offer improvements over my old K-5. I really would suggest that, if you're not happy with Pentax, that you sell your kit and move to another system. But, clearly, there's a fair few of us who are happy to stay with Pentax. Oh - and I've been shooting Pentax since 1988 - not that it matters.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-09-2017 at 03:38 AM.
03-09-2017, 03:14 AM - 2 Likes   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The kids were moving pretty quickly too - but obviously not 65+km/h
... though sometimes it might seem they are when you're trying to photograph them!!
03-09-2017, 05:41 AM   #127
ogl
Banned

So, the cyclist was coming toward me at 65-70km/h. I'd love to see you catch that cyclist in focus with a manual lens. Well, I suppose you could, but you'd have to be very, very lucky. The kids were moving pretty quickly too - but obviously not 65+km/h. I have many examples of good focus shots and I reduce size of the images to post on PF. None of the examples used here were prefocused on any specific position. I'm simply relying on the camera to obtain focus using the AF system.

So, here's another bunch of cyclists, moving pretty quickly. These guys are going at about 50-55km/h.
The sportsman goes straight to you - all you need is to push button. You can do it even in manual mode with camera speed 6-7-8 fps.
03-09-2017, 11:52 AM - 2 Likes   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The sportsman goes straight to you - all you need is to push button. You can do it even in manual mode with camera speed 6-7-8 fps.
But that's not how he did it, Boris. He used AF... Why do you refuse to believe that? Is it because the evidence is contrary to your own results and belief?

03-09-2017, 12:43 PM - 6 Likes   #129
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have explained that it's the camera's autofocus system that's managing to get those moving targets in focus. The cyclists are moving at 13-18 metres per second toward me on the diagonal. Of course, I could just hope to get lucky by setting focus in a particular place,on manual, but that's not particularly helpful if I want to make sure I capture a particular cyclist in the group. The point of my post is that you're making a generalised sweeping statement as to how rubbish Pentax's autofocus capabilities are in your view, and I'm refuting your view with evidence that the camera is doing an admirable job to obtain focus on fast moving objects. It's clear you do not want to see that Pentax AF is not so bad as you make it out to be. I'm sure that the KP will offer improvement over the K-5 and other more modern Pentax cameras. I'd love to see the results of other people'work with the KP.

I will leave this discussion now as I don't feel that any benefit is to be gained carrying on with it. Please consider selling your Pentax equipment and move to something that will give you more pleasure. The photos speak for themselves; I'll let other members who may read this exchange make their own decisions and draw their own conclusions as to the focussing capabilities of Pentax cameras.

Good luck with your future brand!
03-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I have explained that it's the camera's autofocus system that's managing to get those moving targets in focus. The cyclists are moving at 13-18 metres per second toward me on the diagonal. Of course, I could just hope to get lucky by setting focus in a particular place,on manual, but that's not particularly helpful if I want to make sure I capture a particular cyclist in the group. The point of my post is that you're making a generalised sweeping statement as to how rubbish Pentax's autofocus capabilities are in your view, and I'm refuting your view with evidence that the camera is doing an admirable job to obtain focus on fast moving objects. It's clear you do not want to see that Pentax AF is not so bad as you make it out to be. I'm sure that the KP will offer improvement over the K-5 and other more modern Pentax cameras. I'd love to see the results of other people'work with the KP.

I will leave this discussion now as I don't feel that any benefit is to be gained carrying on with it. Please consider selling your Pentax equipment and move to something that will give you more pleasure. The photos speak for themselves; I'll let other members who may read this exchange make their own decisions and draw their own conclusions as to the focussing capabilities of Pentax cameras.

Good luck with your future brand!
I'm also unsubscribing from this thread (which I started!) I had not intended for it to end like this.
03-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #131
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I'm also unsubscribing from this thread (which I started!) I had not intended for it to end like this.
Would you like me to clean up the thread?
03-09-2017, 03:46 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Would you like me to clean up the thread?
Ha! Your call, I'm good either way.
03-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll leave it be then - Hopefully someone finds it informative.
10-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #134

I've found it informative ... all of it. Here're my questions in quest of some informed insight.

As an old Spotmatic F user new to DSLRs with a K-70 to accompany my wife birding, I am focusing (pun intended) on BIF. My 55-300 PLM works best for this, especially against the sky, but not so much if the bird is flying low with trees (or whatever) behind it. OTOH, my wife's Cannon 90D can nail such situations, even with a Tamron 18-400. So, I want an improvement in K-70 autofocus quality. Will the KP provide that? Or should I wait for K-New? (I'm not a patient fellow.)