Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2017, 04:19 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
You can't please them all. Some here are just negative (everything that has a little bright on it should be cover to be dark again) ... or forget to take their pill from time to time

Keep up with the good word, it's really good to have you here !
I know..so i will stop trying to please them all..hehe..And thank you very much mate

02-18-2017, 06:11 AM   #47
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Answer not a fool according to his folly, Lest thou also be like unto him.
Answer a fool according to his folly, Lest he be wise in his own conceit.
(Proverbs 26:4-5)
02-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #48
Veteran Member

KP's New-Gen AF Module?

The following caught my attention: "SAFOX 11 New-generation AF sensor module with a high-speed algorithm"
Marketing or true?
I've seen many comments on the new algorithm, but what about a new AF module?
I'd like to see what Ricoh has to say on this.

Features4 | PENTAX KP | RICOH IMAGING
02-20-2017, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #49

My KP and 55-300 RE have been despatched and will let you know how it compares to my K3ii when I get it.

02-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
The following caught my attention: "SAFOX 11 New-generation AF sensor module with a high-speed algorithm"
Marketing or true?
I've seen many comments on the new algorithm, but what about a new AF module?
I'd like to see what Ricoh has to say on this.

Features4 | PENTAX KP | RICOH IMAGING
Neat, that's great news if true!
02-21-2017, 05:00 PM - 3 Likes   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
KP's New-Gen AF Module?
The KP has exactly the same SAFOX 11 AF hardware (AF module, AF sensor) as the K-3/K-3II (and 645Z):

It's a good system. If they improved the AF algorithms, that would be a nice bonus.
02-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No matter how much the camera body is improved, a slow-AF lens is still a slow-AF lens. A slow MF, too. I recently compared my very nice, high-class DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 SDM against my DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 DC lens and also against a good AF screw drive zoom lens as well. This was done using ISO 3200 under average indoor lighting, where AF might be compromised slightly compared to outdoor daylight. The DA* 50-135mm was easily the slowest. Way slower than the DA 18-135mm, which was actually quite impressively fast and accurate! This lens might be one of Pentax's fastest for AF! This I find surprising since the DA* lens's f/2.8 aperture should be an advantage for AF speed in this indoor lighting. The screw driven AF zoom, a Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 was still quite faster than the DA* 50-135mm and nearly as fast as the DA 18-135mm. All were tested with the same lighting, same scenes, from the same position, using my Pentax K-S2, K-5 IIs, and little old K-r, and with central spot AF only, single shot drive with AF-S. Same result from each camera.

That is not to say the DA* 50-135mm is not a fine lens- it can indeed provide very fine results. But fast AF is not one of its qualities.

02-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #53
Veteran Member

From my limited usage of my KP with the 20-40 Limited HD I can say the auto focusing is faster than the K3II. I am actually suprised I noticed it and that it was that much of an improvement. It sure is quicker and noticeably too.
02-26-2017, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not surprised at that either. I also have the DA 20-40mm Limited, and now look forward to using it on the KP! Although the lens itself is a big player, so is the camera to bring out the best performance in a lens. I would be surprised, however, if the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 were improved. I think that one has already hit its inherent limits. I did notice an AF speed and accuracy improvement going from the K-5 to K-5 IIs with at least some of my lenses. I did not make that comparison with the DA* 50-135mm. I figure, if not happening with the K-r, that tells the story, since the AF was close to the original K-5, and there showed no improvement in going from the K-r to the K-5 IIs with that lens.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-26-2017 at 06:57 PM.
02-26-2017, 09:53 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I am not surprised at that either. I also have the DA 20-40mm Limited, and now look forward to using it on the KP! Although the lens itself is a big player, so is the camera to bring out the best performance in a lens. I would be surprised, however, if the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 were improved. I think that one has already hit its inherent limits. I did notice an <acronym title="Auto Focus"><acronym title="Auto Focus"><acronym title="Auto Focus">AF</acronym></acronym></acronym> speed and accuracy improvement going from the K-5 to K-5 IIs with at least some of my lenses. I did not make that comparison with the DA* 50-135mm. I figure, if not happening with the K-r, that tells the story, since the <acronym title="Auto Focus"><acronym title="Auto Focus"><acronym title="Auto Focus">AF</acronym></acronym></acronym> was close to the original K-5, and there showed no improvement in going from the K-r to the K-5 IIs with that lens.
So true... I should put the 55mm SMC DA * and see how fast it is to try SDM Autofocus and a screw drive DA Limited as well. The right lens makes a huge difference maybe it can make my weakest link the consumer grade "jackhammer" non PLM 55-300mm HD DA just as fast at focusing on KP as the 20-40, that will really be something. Then again I knew when I bought it that wasn't going to be fast focusing I bought because it was small, very modestly priced was relatively fast as an F4 to F5.6 and pretty sharp optically when stopped down a tad too.
02-27-2017, 02:51 AM   #56
Administrator
Site Webmaster

FWIW, Ricoh said that they put in new continuous tracking algorithms in the KP, and that performance is improved vs. the K-3 family, especially when using the PLM lens. That said, the KP still uses SAFOX 11 and not 12.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2017, 04:16 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
FWIW, Ricoh said that they put in new continuous tracking algorithms in the KP, and that performance is improved vs. the K-3 family, especially when using the PLM lens. That said, the KP still uses SAFOX 11 and not 12.
Which me there is even more room for improvement
02-27-2017, 04:22 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
As much as I would love to have a Firmware update that improves my K3's AF to the (supposed) KP's level I am not sure Pentax would want to remove one main reason for existing Pentax customers to buy a new body.
it should on Pentax interest that a update be available for pre KP bodies, as it should boost interest in buying their future lenses, it looks by the roadmap that they want to concentrate more in lenses than cameras..
02-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thanks for confirming that my small amount of intial usage seems to prove it is true. It is a very impressive camera.
02-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Thanks for confirming that my small amount of intial usage seems to prove it is true. It is a very impressive camera.
Which makes the small buffer the only thing holding me back... I can live with 7 FPS instead of 8, but the small buffer on the K-1 irritates me to no end, the KP would be about the same.