Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #91
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If you're not talking about hardware improvements, or software improvements, then what are you talking about?
Is it a joke? I don't see hardware and software in camera, but I can see how AF works in reality.

I talk about work of AF. How AF works - accuracy, speed, responsivity, AF-C - how effective.

It's strange to expect from KP any progress - AF module is 2013 year made. Magic software algorithms?
Good marketing slogan for users - "We improved software algorithms"
...Ohhh...Yes. I feel it in my camera. It's really works. I'm happy at last.

03-06-2017, 02:37 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Is it a joke? I don't see hardware and software in camera, but I can see how AF works in reality.

I talk about work of AF. How AF works - accuracy, speed, responsivity, AF-C - how effective.

It's strange to expect from KP any progress - AF module is 2013 year made. Magic software algorithms?
...Ohhh...Yes. I feel it in my camera. It's really works. I'm happy at last.
No, it's not a joke. Technological improvements in terms of hardware, or software, or both, will result in improvements in AF. How AF works in reality depends on those parameters. You are dealing with a machine that can be improved in terms of hardware or software. While the outcomes is what you refer to as "reality" that "reality" is subjective.

The test you reference is hardly conclusive. I'd like to see more scientific tests before we shoot down the KP's abilities.
03-06-2017, 03:06 AM - 2 Likes   #93
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

With all due respect, that makes no sense to me

Computer operating systems and applications software are improved all the time without requiring changes to the underlying hardware. My PC, which I bought - coincidentally - in 2013, was running Windows 8 when I bought it. Now it's running Windows 10. In the last year or two, updates to my applications software have improved performance and features without requiring any change to the hardware.

Our cameras are merely computers with sensors, electro-mechanical mechanisms and user-interface hardware. Arguably the most important part - and you'll know this if you've ever done any software development work - is the software / firmware, without which the hardware is useless. The software can be written in an almost-limitless number of ways to do the same basic functions, but some approaches will yield better results than others.

To put it another way - and in complete contrast to what you've stated - it would be strange NOT to expect progress from the KP... New software algorithms don't need to be magical - they just need to be better than the algorithms they're replacing

Now, it's certainly possible that brand new AF sensor design combined with new algorithms could have provided even greater improvements in AF; but you don't necessarily need new hardware to gain significant improvements.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-06-2017 at 03:25 AM.
03-06-2017, 03:49 AM   #94
ogl
Banned

No, it's not a joke. Technological improvements in terms of hardware, or software, or both, will result in improvements in AF. How AF works in reality depends on those parameters. You are dealing with a machine that can be improved in terms of hardware or software. While the outcomes is what you refer to as "reality" that "reality" is subjective.
The improvements in AF could not be seen by users, because of small difference between the cameras of different generations.
But if you had problems with old camera, your new camera without old illnesses seems to be much better for you. It's psychology.

03-06-2017, 04:19 AM   #95
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The improvements in AF could not be seen by users, because of small difference between the cameras of different generations.
But if you had problems with old camera, your new camera without old illnesses seems to be much better for you. It's psychology.
I think we need to wait and see some documented A/B tests between the K-3 and KP, where the tests are consistent and repeatable. Those tests need to include more than one lens, and cover a range of AF.S and AF.C scenarios. Without this, every opinion we hear or read will be highly subjective and - whilst interesting to some extent - of limited value, since it's not based on hard evidence. We certainly can't conclude that the KP does or doesn't offer significant AF improvement without that kind of testing. If your comrades' testing is of that nature, it would be great to see the documented results, and very helpful for potential buyers.
03-06-2017, 04:34 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think we need to wait and see some documented A/B tests between the K-3 and KP, where the tests are consistent and repeatable. Those tests need to include more than one lens, and cover a range of AF.S and AF.C scenarios. Without this, every opinion we hear or read will be highly subjective and - whilst interesting to some extent - of limited value, since it's not based on hard evidence. We certainly can't conclude that the KP does or doesn't offer significant AF improvement without that kind of testing. If your comrades' testing is of that nature, it would be great to see the documented results, and very helpful for potential buyers.
Sorry, its not just psychology. I have a K5 and a K3. The AF in the K3 is far superior to the K5.

I can't vouch for the KP but we will know soon enough once enough users have bought KP's.

Howie Be
03-06-2017, 04:40 AM   #97
Forum Member

the SAFOX AF modul is the same crap from time K-3, K-1 to KP.
why? is unreliable. all the time proper is focus. and suddenly have a photo of the front focus.

1. GOOD DAY

my test AF-C, Pentax K-1 fw1.30 + slow Pentax SMC DA*200/2,8 SDM.
Settings:
-TAv, AutoISO,
-AF-C, SEL 2
-1st Frame Action in AF.C - Focus-priority, Action in AF.C Cont. - FPS-priority
- Continuous Shooting (H)
- Hold AF Status - OFF, Shake Reduction - OFF, Menu C3 Meter Operating Time - Continue

13 OK, 2 NOK

19 OK, 3 NOK

13 OK, 2 NOK

14 OK, 4 NOK

16 OK, 4 NOK

4 OK

19 OK, 3 NOK

13 OK, 2 NOK

2. BAD DAY

AF-S, central point, K-1 + FA43/1,9 Limited.

ALL 8 pics got 20-30cm front focus, wtf?

next photos from D-FA HD70-200/2,8 was absolutely awesome.

why?

because SAFOX.

03-06-2017, 04:41 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, we're talking about data. Test results and expectations of improvement based upon those (as yet unpublished) test results. We're not talking psychology. The camera will either be proved to be better at AF or not - it's not psychology.
03-06-2017, 04:57 AM   #99
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lennyl Quote
the SAFOX AF modul is the same crap from time K-3, K-1 to KP.
why? is unreliable. all the time proper is focus. and suddenly have a photo of the front focus.
Sigh...

You obviously have much worse results than I do. I've been shooting with Pentax since the K-7 came out. I've had good AF results with the K-5, and very good results with the K-3, both with AF.S and AF.C in a variety of situations. Could it be better? You bet. Things can always be improved upon. All DSLRs can suffer from front or back-focusing with a particular lens. Mirrorless cameras can suffer from it too.

I'll believe the KP is the same, better or worse when I see some properly controlled A/B tests between it and a K-3
03-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #100
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Sorry, its not just psychology. I have a K5 and a K3. The AF in the K3 is far superior to the K5.
Blessed are those who believe

Far superior is AF of Nikon D500. K-3 is just a bit better. Taste the difference.
03-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #101
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sigh...
I've had good AF results with the K-5, and very good results with the K-3, :
K-5's AF was the worst for me. Just a bit better than *ist DS.

If the different users have different opinions about the same camera, it means SAFOX system is not stable.

Let's say the truth - even last SAFOX 12 is one of the weakest AF module between the cameras of other brands.
Even Nikon D5600 has real tracking AF and has 39 AF points. I has the feeling that cross-type AF sensors of Pentax hardly help to camera.

The old Multi-Cam of Nikon with 51 AF points with only 15 cross-type sensors is far better than K-1's AF.
Pentax cameras have no good level tracking AF system. It's true.

If we can make photos in AF-C mode doesn't mean that this system is really good. We just the users with high level of self-adaptive and it's all.
We have already got accustomed to such work of SAFOX and nothing else.
03-06-2017, 11:52 AM - 3 Likes   #102
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If the different users have different opinions about the same camera, it means SAFOX system is not stable.
I think it's more the case that different users have different requirements, and different levels of ability in using what they're given. We have plenty of members on these forums getting great results with recent Pentax models in a wide variety of situations - birds in flight, motorsport, ball sports, low light, etc. Their success is a result of learning how the AF system works, and developing their techniques accordingly.

I think Pentax AF - especially AF.C - needs to improve, and I prefer the implementation on my Sony / Sony-based bodies - but I'm more-or-less happy with the K-3's AF and hopeful that the KP offers another small step in the right direction.
03-06-2017, 12:15 PM - 2 Likes   #103
Pentaxian

Let's say the truth - even last SAFOX 12 is one of the weakest AF module between the cameras of other brands.
Even Nikon D5600 has real tracking AF and has 39 AF points. I has the feeling that cross-type AF sensors of Pentax hardly help to camera.

The old Multi-Cam of Nikon with 51 AF points with only 15 cross-type sensors is far better than K-1's AF.

If we can make photos in AF-C mode doesn't mean that this system is really good. We just the users with high level of self-adaptive and it's all.
So, which of these do you actually use??
03-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #104
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't compare with other brands because I don't shoot other brands. I presume you do?

All I can say is that I have no problem shooting fast moving sports such as football or cycling with my K-5. Clearly my K-5 has an AF module that works!
03-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #105
ogl
Banned

I can't compare with other brands because I don't shoot other brands. I presume you do?

All I can say is that I have no problem shooting fast moving sports such as football or cycling with my K-5. Clearly my K-5 has an AF module that works!
to simply work and to work very effective are not the same.