Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
After looking at that size comparator website, along with looking at the dimensions, can someone explain to me why everyone is calling the kp compact?

Its roughly the same size as the k-3
Agreed, it's close in outside dimensions, but total volume is quite a bit less. The KP has lower "shoulders", and the small grip would make a noticeable difference. It's going to look quite a bit smaller in person.

In a similar vein, the K-S1 doesn't look much smaller than the K-30 on the compare size site, but in person, the K-30 is a hulking beast next to the dainty K-S1.

02-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Not to egg you on in any way, but I just now did that...
Excellent another KP early adopter!
02-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Not to egg you on in any way, but I just now did that...
Cash and Carry for me. K-1 was justified on a 'NoMoreCameras' basis
02-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

This camera and the Df are neck-and-neck as far as the best looking DSLRs in my humble opinion of course.
If I didn't already have a K-3II, I would snatch this one up.

02-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
This camera and the Df are neck-and-neck as far as the best looking DSLRs in my humble opinion of course.
If I didn't already have a K-3II, I would snatch this one up.
Nothing stopping you from getting it to be a second body to use in conjunction with the K3II.
02-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Nothing stopping you from getting it to be a second body to use in conjunction with the K3II.
My wife...
02-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #22
Pentaxian

This KP will replace my K70 in terms of usage. The buttons are laid out more like a K3 class, so I won't have to stop and think every time I switch bodies. I tried to make myself get the black one, but in the end ordered the silver... Can't wait to dive into the menus and let the fun commence!

---------- Post added 02-16-17 at 12:24 AM ----------

02-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would definitely think of upgrading. The K-01 is nice, but quite compromised. The AF is sluggish and nearly impossible in low light. And, sunny days kill your ability to view the viewfinder. The IS on the KP should be much more effective. The KP would also handle screw drive lenses much better.

02-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I would definitely think of upgrading. The K-01 is nice, but quite compromised. The AF is sluggish and nearly impossible in low light. And, sunny days kill your ability to view the viewfinder. The IS on the KP should be much more effective. The KP would also handle screw drive lenses much better.
KP is clearly more modern internally, but K-01 is much better than its reputation with FW updates installed and a little experience. I use mine successsfully as my travel and party camera.
02-25-2017, 04:02 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
After looking at that size comparator website, along with looking at the dimensions, can someone explain to me why everyone is calling the kp compact?

Its roughly the same size as the k-3
If you are serious about compactness, there m4/3 or even in APSC mirrorless like the Fuji X line with a nice combination of pancake lenses and really smaller bodies. Even A7 serie has some interresting small lenses and quite small bodies.

K3 and KP are quite similar, but the point is about what you can buy in K-mount. Let's be pragmatic, if you want to keep K-mount, doesn't want to switch for a quite a sum, the KP in one year or something will have a quite reasonable price, offer a nice combination of performance/feature set and would a nice upgrade if you don't have K3/K3-II already.

I would really hope they made it with an EVF and great contrast/embedded phase AF, but that may never come, or not until a few years.
02-25-2017, 04:52 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think KP is the K-02. I'm this close to ordering it.
I already have

A few of Pentax's more compact APS-C cameras (K-01, K-S1, K-S2) have passed through my hands in recent years.

I hope the new owner of my K-S1 can appreciate its strengths sometime soon....

---------- Post added 25-02-17 at 10:29 PM ----------

....and people who say the KP isn't compact are probably the same sort of people who complained about the size of the K-01.

Until you have travelled with it and flipped it in and out of a camera bag a hundred times, you probably won't understand the difference the lower shoulders and slimmer grip make.
02-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #27
Pentaxian

People who have handled the KP say it is more compact than the dimensions indicate. It is also noticeably lighter than the K-3, something near a quarter pound. Upon viewing the photos of the thread on the 3 grips, the exceptional slimness of the design can be seen. One reason the top LCD was omitted.
02-26-2017, 08:06 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I already have

A few of Pentax's more compact APS-C cameras (K-01, K-S1, K-S2) have passed through my hands in recent years.

....and people who say the KP isn't compact are probably the same sort of people who complained about the size of the K-01.

Until you have travelled with it and flipped it in and out of a camera bag a hundred times, you probably won't understand the difference the lower shoulders and slimmer grip make.
Couldn't have said it better myself the KP is a very much so smaller camera than my K3II! Especially when the K3II has the battery grip on it.
02-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I already have

Or just they want something that is more different than smaller shoulders and smaller grip with overall the same size and still heavier than a K30 and similar than a K5 in weight.

My father wanted something smaller but still with somewhat good quality. In K-mount there nothing really small, so he went for a Panasonic GM5 + 12-32 f/3.5-5.6 and so if he is satisfied, he may grow that system on the long run.

Myself, I would have been quite interrested in a K02 with great AF and OVF or a very small/light DSLR in the sub 600gr side. Old film SLR show that you can keep K-mount and be much smaller than what we have. Mirrorless show that you can be tiny and have all the electronics you might need too. I would be also interrest in a reasonably sized wide apperture wide angle for APSC like 20mm f/2.4.

But such things are not available, so in the end I may finish like my father, to look for another system if I don't get what I want in the coming years. This is really a neutral remark: I have no issue for Pentax targetting something different and other people to enjoy it. I mean, each to his own.

If all you wanted is smaller shoulders and smaller grip and 700g instead of 785, fine.
02-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
People who have handled the KP say it is more compact than the dimensions indicate. It is also noticeably lighter than the K-3, something near a quarter pound. Upon viewing the photos of the thread on the 3 grips, the exceptional slimness of the design can be seen. One reason the top LCD was omitted.
It sure is smaller! Especially with the small grip it feels very small. Even with the 20-40 mounted it is a good bit smaller than my K3II especially with the 16-85 and battery grip or even without the battery grip. Trust me if you look at the top outline of the body not including the grip even the small one, you get the basic structure of a 35MM SLR and I dig it. I would say it balances out charm with modern ergonomics and new tech very well. It will sure be a fun camera to snap away with even more so than the K3II in my bag is.

It is fun camera no doubt so far I am impressed with the performance and am not missing the top LCD too much either.