Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2017, 07:22 AM - 7 Likes   #1

My little KP's Impression

Today, luckily, I finally could try the KP.
Let me write bit about my impression for KP. I posted this to the facebook's pentaxian community, but it was from my mobile so now let me write a little more details.

The very first thing I noticed was its size. The height and width are almost identical to the K-5, but it is thin. Waay Thinner.
Moreover, you "feel" even thinner than it looks like when you grab the body. Originally Ithought that the grip side of body would be horizontally to long, but actually when you hold it with your hand weight balance is not that bad. At least I did not feel uncomfortable about that. It is thin, and light. The light weightgave me a feeling that KP can be a good travel camera, especially if you combine with the 40mm,15mm, or those thin lenses.

I could only touch the silver body. I think the silver colour doesn't look cheap, unlike Olympus's silver (It's just my personal opinion though). It is bit yellow-ish coloured silver, but nicely matches with the Limited lenses. I personally prefer to combine the black lenses on the silver, so that it looks bit like SP + Takumar.

I was so surprised that the shutter sound became very quiet. I used K-5 and now I have K-3II, but neither of those are comparable with how quiet the KP is. It is quiet, and low sound.
The sound is very different from K-Sx or K-70's high pitch. It is like K-5 or K-3, but more quiet. Probably if you use KP at the street surrounding would not recognise when you press the shutter.

Functionally, SR is remarkable. According to the RICOH guy in the store, its SR is improved further from K-1. I tested several shots, and comfortably use 1/5sec if you hold the camera properly. Maybe if I take a breath for while I might be able to achieve the crispy shot at even slower shutter speed. But this is just an bit-too-extreme test. As you know the KP is very very good at high ISO number. As far as I checked at the store, KP's ISO3200 seems like 100% acceptable for me. Colour noise I could see was very low, and I felt like it is near equal to ISO800 of my K-3II, or even less.

I also noticed that AF speed is significantly increased. If you combine with KAf4 lenses, according to RICOH guy, its almost comparable with Nikon/Canon. At least I felt its speed is equivalent to Nikon, but well, I'm very biased.

Some people would be bit sad not to have the should display. Me too. But at same time tilt-monitor can work as an sort of alternative. Well, I do not fully agree, but still better than nothing.
Oh, and the grip. I could try Grip S and L. Personally, the grip design is not as good as the other K series. Grip S would be OK for the street snap or with the not-so-huge lenses, but definitely too small for Big tele- lenses or those who with big hand. The grip L will improve the holding, but I felt bit uncomfortable on the very bottom -- did not have enough space for my pinky. Maybe if you combine the camera with the Battery Grip, it would nicely fit.

Overall I felt like KP is quite an impressive camera. Thin, lightweight, and AOCo style design are really nice, especially person like me who enjoys using old pentax film SLRs.
Improved SR, high ISO capability and faster AF would greatly expand the flexibility of photo-shooting for sure.

Yeah, in short, I fell in love with this little silver monster. I know KP is not the K-3III, but still, it is very attractive.
Only reasons I'm hesitating to put my name on the waiting list are A) I got K-3II last month and B) same crippled K-Mount as other digital Ks.
Maybe in a half a year? If my financial situation permits me....

Besides, I don't know if the campaign will be conducted in the outside of Japan, but the poster in a store says that if you bring any digital K SLRs on the list and trade it with KP upon purchase, you'll get the not-so-bad discounts.
Hope my little messy impression helps you a bit.

Cheers

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Moto G (4)  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Moto G (4)  Photo 
02-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very cool little write-up, thanks! Hope they sell tons of these things.
02-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing your impressions of this new KP.
02-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums - great to have you with us!

Excellent first impressions. Thanks for sharing

The AF is interesting. I'm looking forward to the full reviews to see how noticeable the improvements are in real-world shooting.

02-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great to hear your thoughts. Also, glad to hear that the shutter is not like the clunky, noisy one on the K30 or K50.
02-18-2017, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Tamanagi, for the interesting and helpful impression.

People have been discussing KP size a lot, but few have mentioned the current Pentax SLR with the smallest frontal section, the K-S2 (closely followed by the K-70). This camera is significantly smaller than the KP. Placing the KP mode wheel on the left to allow additional controls to the right of the viewfinder is what makes the biggest difference. This doesn't count handle/grip extension, but the K-S2 grip was originally criticized for being too small anyway. To me, it feels fine, essentially identical to that on the "larger" K-50.

The K-S2 kept me from getting a four-thirds system for some time, since I could shoot it unobtrusively at family events with the 15mm limited attached. Camera size was never a problem, but the shutter noise was distracting. The silent electronic shutter on my GX8 is one of my favorite features: you can photograph all you want without disrupting conversations. It's intriguing that the KP itself has an electronic shutter. Apart from discretion, the other main difference between the 2 systems is lens size, which, for lenses with apertures 2.8 and larger, is not that different. Wish I'd seen the KP a year ago.
02-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks for the great write up. Hope to have my hands on one in about a week.