Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 05:22 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hands on with the Pentax KP

Last few days I had the chance to test out the KP.
Although the weather was not that great for a wildlife photographer, I did manage to capture a few colourfull images with it. Tracking of subjects has indeed been improved and as to be expected the ISO limits have been stretched as well.

A full review can be found on my website (I hope linking is allowed here?)

Best regards,
MIke

02-22-2017, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Now I am even more anxious to try it!
02-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Very impressive! I am wondering what lens you used for the bird shots- especially the BIF ones. All well done!
02-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Very impressive! I am wondering what lens you used for the bird shots- especially the BIF ones. All well done!
Hi Mike, belive it or not.... but I used the DFA* 70-200/2.8 for those shots :-)
I got lucky with the heron that flew almost over my head and the smaller bird above the water is a crop where I threw about 40% of the original away.
But all in all I was happy with the way the KP did it's AF-C tracking!

02-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Mousehill Quote
A full review can be found on my website (I hope linking is allowed here?)
Mike, this is very nice review indeed, thank you very much for that. The more I read about KP the more I want to replace my K-5ii with it. Since you are also K-5 user, may I ask you a couple questions? I bet your feelings upgrading from K-5 to KP might be what I will feel if I upgrade. So you are the perfect guy to ask if it is worth spending the money...

Most important, can you please comment on lack of top LCD? Is that uncomfortable (or not) if you move from camera with top LCD to a camera with no top LCD? I asked Kenspo about that but he answered he never uses top LCD so he was not missing it... That was not the kind of answer I was waiting for You already wrote you did not miss it but any elaboration on that would be welcome.

The second is about general responsiveness. Is the new camera quicker when clicking play button to review the photos? How quickly is the buffer saved to an SD card when you shoot the photos? I am interested in your subjective feelings about that and - especially - responsiveness comparison to K-5.

The next one is about build quality. Before K-5 I used to have K-X. What I love about my K-5ii is there are no crackles even if I mount some hevy lense like 60-250. That was not the case with K-X which used to have a bit loose grip/battery doors. Is the new exchangable grip and in general KP construction high quality and sturdy enough so that I will not feel some crackles with time? Is it more like K-5 or more like some cheaper K-X like camera?

And the last one for now: when using 70-200, did not you feel a bit uncomfortable regarding to the balance of relatively small camera and the big lense? Hmmmm maybe I am wrong asking that because you wrote you were pleased with the finger grip, but I would like to have yet another confirmation on that.
02-22-2017, 11:28 PM   #6

Nice review, thank you for sharing.
02-23-2017, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #7
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
And the last one for now: when using 70-200, did not you feel a bit uncomfortable regarding to the balance of relatively small camera and the big lense? Hmmmm maybe I am wrong asking that because you wrote you were pleased with the finger grip, but I would like to have yet another confirmation on that.
You do know that before T90 clones we used big lenses with even smaller cameras??
We supported the lens using the left hand, and held the body with the right hand.
People today depend way too much on those over-sized grips.
02-23-2017, 04:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great write up... Mine should arrive Saturday can't wait to play with it!

02-27-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I took my new KP out this weekend to try some test shots and to get used to the new controls. I love the size; got it as a second camera to use on bicycle trips/events and as a convenient grab and go camera. Here is a link to some shots taken around Ocean City, MD: New Pentax KP Test | Flickr

They were shot in RAW and, for the most part, are straight out of the camera - a few were tweaked (the birds in flight) and a couple are cropped. Nothing spectacular in the set, just some first outing shots. I did use a circular polarizer for the harbor and amusement park shots; the lighting was very harsh yesterday.

I do have two gripes:
I have the large grip installed mainly because I like to carry the camera down by my side and it gives me a sure grip. I don't have large hands but I find that, when carrying the camera by my side in standby mode, the pressure of my palm sometimes activates the four-way controller which changes the settings. *(Note: I just found the control lock function which solves this problem. When in doubt, read the manual. )
Also, the battery life is not up to par with my other cameras with the DL-190 batteries.
I guess that's the price you pay for a thinner body.

So far I am very happy. Looking forward to doing some low light shots to see how image quality holds up in real life.

Cheers, John

Last edited by jquill; 02-27-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Added Note
02-28-2017, 03:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice Review. Thanks for sharing.