Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2017, 05:17 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I would imagine the middle size grip for using lenses the size and weight of the 31 and 77
Nah. I'm not going to be swapping the grip more than once in a blue moon.

06-19-2017, 12:53 AM   #32
Forum Member

Hello,
do the 3 grips come with the camera in every market?
06-19-2017, 02:13 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
Hello,
do the 3 grips come with the camera in every market?
Don't know about the EU, but in Australia it comes only with the small grip, which I find rather disappointing from Pentax as in the U.S. all 3 are included in the box.
06-19-2017, 06:00 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Don't know about the EU, but in Australia it comes only with the small grip, which I find rather disappointing from Pentax as in the U.S. all 3 are included in the box.
Thank you, so I have got it right that not all the markets are receiving the same treatment.
The funny thing about Ricoh Europe is that
PENTAX KP - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
they present two listings - optional and included accessories - and the grips aren't there at all.
In a couple of days I should visit a Pentax dealer and I will find out how it is, considering that in the old continent we have got the worst price, I hope we get the full package in return (but I am not so sure).

06-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #35
Veteran Member

They will be made available eventually - I've managed to get my hands on them in New Zealand but the difference is a bit more subtle than you might think - I prefer the medium grip.
I don't really have issues with balance using lenses ranging from the 35 2.4 to a sigma 10-20. If the grip size really bothers you then I found that putting an arca type L plate on the camera did more to balance it than the grips do (mine is the wrong size, so it sticks out from the left hand side and gives me a handle).
06-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #36

Original Poster
If you buy the battery grip, the large grip comes in the box.
06-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
Thank you, so I have got it right that not all the markets are receiving the same treatment.
The funny thing about Ricoh Europe is that
PENTAX KP - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
they present two listings - optional and included accessories - and the grips aren't there at all.
In a couple of days I should visit a Pentax dealer and I will find out how it is, considering that in the old continent we have got the worst price, I hope we get the full package in return (but I am not so sure).
In Singapore, you will get the small grip in the box. If you want the medium or large grip, you will need to buy.

06-23-2017, 11:11 PM   #38
Forum Member

UE Pentaxians get the 3 grips in the box or - at least - I got them
07-04-2017, 03:19 AM   #39

Without the battery grip I prefer the medium sized grip.

With the battery grip you basically have to use the large grip for it to align up the same.
08-17-2019, 07:58 AM   #40

Anyone ever change what grip they use over time? I bought my KP in November of last year. I have been using the large grip ever since. I just tried the medium grip on a whim and I think now that my hands have adjusted to the size-weight ratio of the KP I actually like it better? I'm going to try it out for a while and see if it works for me.

It feels like the large grip is for people who want to try to fit their pinkie onto the grip, but I really can't so I end up curling it underneath, and I think the medium grip might be more comfortable as long as you're doing that. Admittedly I mainly shoot with limited primes, though.
08-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When not using the battery grip, I use the large most of the time and use the medium when shooting with primes. I use the battery grip about 75% of the time.
08-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I never change it.
08-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the large permanently on and never change and I do not have large hands , with FA 31mm limited attached to KP all the time
08-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I change mine according to the lenses I am using. With my smaller lenses, up to and including the DA 20-40mm LTD, the smallest grip is my preference. I have medium-size hands. I like the large size grip with heavier lenses like the somewhat meaty Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 and the substantial Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 although it is quite compact for its zoom range and speed. In between those sizes, I prefer the mid or large size grips. For larger lenses, I will go with the large size grip, but best is the added battery grip.

These preferences are for general handling when not shooting. In the shooting position, any of the 3 supplied grips is fine with me with any lens, in the way I hold the camera. That is, except for doing a lot of vertical shots and/or a lengthy event where I want to avoid interruption for battery changing. In these instances it is again the added battery grip.
08-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Until recently the small grip was my favorite. This changed when I got the DA*11-18. I now usually use the mid sized one. It gives me a more secure feeling when using heavier lenses. I very seldom change the grip.